SWM 16 Install

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by Hopf17, Dec 15, 2018.

1. Hopf17

Hopf17 New Member

Dec 15, 2018
    We currently have one HR44 and three C41 boxes. We have female coax plug ins in all rooms, with all coax cables running to a box in the utility room which is where the single wire from the dish also feeds to. I would like to make all unused female coax plugins "hot" without getting directv involved. Will a SWM 16 allow me to do this? If so, how do I configure the wiring? If not, what are my options?

2. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    The single wire from your dish indicates you already have a SWIM system, so I don't think you can install a SWM16. **

How many wall outlets are you trying to feed? I would just put a 4-way splitter in your utility room and connect each outlet as needed. Extra unused outputs can negatively impact your signal output.

**Edit. You can install a SWM16 in your utility room. Change your LNB to a non-SWM and then run two wires from your dish to the utility room.

But still making unused outlets 'hot' can degrade your overall signal strength.

3. litzdog911

litzdog911 Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2004
    Mill Creek, WA
    You'll need a SWM Splitter, available from dealers like Solid Signal. But realize that you can't the coax more than 8-ways. And unused rooms need to be terminated with a 75-ohm termination cap.

4. Hopf17

Hopf17 New Member

Dec 15, 2018
    IMG_0135.JPG So if I understand this right, I can replace my current 4 way splitter with an 8 way and achieve what I'm trying to achieve?

Also, why is the power supply plugged into one of the "outs"? See pic

5. WestDC

WestDC Well-Known Member

Feb 9, 2008
    The PI- is Plugged Into the power passing port (1) that what's powers your LNB - Yes all you need is a SWIM 8 way splitter then you can connect rg6 to 7 locations- Remove the Terminators from the SWIM 8 Ports and then use that terminator in any rooms that have NO receivers connected

6. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    because the PI is there, eg it sit close to LNB feeding cable, then to the splitter
    it PI would be in any room then it will go to port1

7. slice1900

slice1900 Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2013
    Iowa
    Looks like you have 4 unused coaxes, so replacing the 4 way with an 8 way SWM splitter (making sure to plug the one connected to that power supply to the 'red' port on the new splitter) and you'll be fine.

The power supply is connected to the "out" because it feeds power back up to the dish.

8. slice1900

Feb 14, 2013
    Iowa
    Yeah, theoretically you could do that, but problems caused by lack of terminators are EXCEEDINGLY rare.

9. WestDC

WestDC Well-Known Member

Feb 9, 2008
    OKAY -So Throw them away -I'm easy

10. inkahauts

inkahauts Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2006
    And when people have weird issues is one of the first things to be looked at. Just terminate them and be done.

11. slice1900

Feb 14, 2013
    Iowa
    You mean it is one of the first things people here ask them about / tell them to do. When does it ever actually fix the problem?

I've never heard of anyone terminating wall ports. In a splitter it can make sense because the signal path is so short the reflections may be pretty strong. The longer the coax run, the weaker the reflections will be and the less they will matter. Only if a system was so badly out of spec (due to extremely long runs or damaged coax) that the signal at the receivers was at the very minimum it could possible handle would it make a difference - and if the system is that out of spec you should fix the real problem not band aid it with a terminator.

12. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    It is one of those things that make your system "out of spec". One can argue that it makes no electrical difference, but if the spec says terminate one should terminate. And then move on to the next irrelevant requirement.

13. doctor j

doctor j Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jun 14, 2006
    Birmingham, Al.
    I don't think the picture tells the whole story!

There appears to be 5 or more unused cables. Another unused line is barely visible in the bottom left of picture
    Also you say you have an HR 44 and 3 C41 boxes.
    Only 3 output lines are connected to 4 way , so there has to be another splitter somewhere if all 4 boxes are active.

A pass through line could be used on the Power Inserter.

The junction box could have been setup with 4 lines (IN) from dish and an SWM 8 or SWM 16 or even better a SWM-30 might be used with a new Legacy LNB ( if indeed 4 wires are available at the dish). The 3 top right unused lines might be (inputs) from dish. Do you know where all the lines come and go?? Was a legacy LNB ever used ?

A more exact total house wiring diagram is needed to fully assess your options.

Doctor j

14. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    With an extensive understanding of [and experience with] RF signal transmissions, you would come to the "opposite" opinion than what you expressed.

SWiM & the Genies showed to be much more sensitive to "reflections".
    Then there is the lengths of the wavelengths.
    attenuation can be used to "improve" the VSWR

For those that want a "simple rule of thumb":
    Terminate all unused ports. [This can be done at the splitter or the wallplate.
    If the run to the wallplate isn't connected... it doesn't need a load/termination.

You can do it properly, or you can chase your tail until you "find" how to do it properly.

BrendanJ and P Smith like this.