1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SWM 16 Power Config Question

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Connected Home' started by 69hokie, May 22, 2010.

1. 69hokie

69hokie Icon

Sep 23, 2006
    Is the attached picture the proper configuration for using a PI with a SWM16? A PI is what my installer brought with him and we set it up as a power supply local to the SWM16 instead of as a power inserter when installing Whole Home DVR Service today. Any problem with this configuration?

Attached Files:

2. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    That is one way [and maybe the preferred way], but some are also doing it "the old way" as with the SWM8 and going in output #1.

3. 69hokie

69hokie Icon

Sep 23, 2006
    Thanks VOS...I was hoping you "had your ears on". I thought this would be OK, but decided to check. It was the first install for a SWM16 or the DECA's for the installer so I kind of lead him by the hand...good guy, just not familiar with them at all. I had noticed that both the SWM1 and the center connection points had the Red centers we are used to seeing for power on the SWM8's.

4. webby_s

webby_s Hall Of Fame

Jan 11, 2008
    I just got mine in the mail yesterday and was also wondering if I could send power to the output #1 and skip the center "power" input altogether. The PI I got with the SWiM 16 only has one output and says for SWM16/SWM8 only. I have another one laying around that I think is the same voltage output with two coax inputs (one to SWM One to IRD)

So could I use the other one straight to the SWiM16 then to IRD with other? So there's only one coax (two total) going to the SWM?

5. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    yes

6. webby_s

webby_s Hall Of Fame

Jan 11, 2008
    Thanks VOS, I knew you'd have the answer. Now I think I know how I will install this awesome piece of engineering. I'll wire that one (power inputs) down to the garage where I'll have one of my H2*