1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SWM-8 and Lightning Strike

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by jostarr, Jul 26, 2010.

Tags:
  1. jostarr

jostarr AllStar

Dec 14, 2006
    I installed an SWM-8 with a PI29-Z power supply a few months ago. Recently, a nearby lightning strike wiped out my buried phone line and a lot of my electronic gear.....DSL modem\router, 2 LAN switches, a 26" HJDTV, one DSL Filter and my newly installed SWM-8. I have reverted back to my Zinwell switch for now.

Testing shows no output from the PI29-Z. I can buy a new PI29-Z and or\a new SWM-8 But, before I lay out any serious cash for a new switch, I'd like to be able to test the switch itself. Any suggestions or comments would be appreciated.

2. doctor j

doctor j Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jun 14, 2006
    Birmingham, Al.
    May buy power supply separately.
    See here:

http://www.solidsignal.com/pview.as...Power-Inserter-for-SWM8-(SWMPI)&c=Multiswitch Power Supplies&sku=

Doctor j

3. jostarr

jostarr AllStar

Dec 14, 2006
    Thanks, I know I can get the PS FOR $ 25.00 at many places. But, if I have to buy a new SWM-8, it will come with the PS.

So, my goal now is to find a way to check the SWM-8 before making any purchases.

4. john18

john18 Active Member

Nov 21, 2006
    Just out of curiosity, is calling D* for a service call out of the question? You could get a dish alignment and other stuff done. Or perhaps sign up for the protection plan for $5.99 per month and then have them come fix it.

5. azarby

azarby Hall Of Fame

Dec 15, 2006
    Without the power supply, there is no way to test the switch. I would call DTV and have them come out and replace everything.

6. dennisj00

dennisj00 Hall Of Fame

Sep 27, 2007
    Lake Norman, NC
    Call D and see what it will cost or sign up for the PP. I'd venture to say if you lost that much equipment, the Swim8 is also toast.

It could also fail a day, week or month later. I had a similar occurrance a couple of summers ago and kept piling up equipment for 6 months or so. Even had to recrimp some Cat5 connectors! (recrimp, not replace!)

7. spartanstew

spartanstew Dry as a bone

Nov 16, 2005
    Wylie, Texas
    I have one of THESE

that I can send you for the cost of shipping (say $5), if it'll help. PM if so.

Oops, just checked and it's a PI-21