SWM-8 & WB-616 Together..

Discussion in 'DIRECTV - Special Request Legacy Items (private)' started by WB3FFV, Oct 24, 2008.

1. WB3FFV

WB3FFV Legend

Mar 2, 2007
    I have seen diagrams showing that you need to use splitters coming off the dish, to divide your outputs to the SWM and WB switches.

I am curious, has anyone tried hanging an SWM-8 off of a WB-616 switch? Maybe I am missing something, but I just don't see any major logical reason why this wouldn't work. As the 616 (not talking about the 8 port which is passive), is an active powered switch, it holds the various LNB's at the various polarities for the 4 different outputs. Also the SWM must provide the signal selection to again request the correct 4 outputs from the LNB's that would go to the 616, which should in fact see that and supply them.

OK, guess I am getting a little tech geek above, but just curious if anyone has tried this, as I am having a hard time seeing why this wouldn't work, outside of sucking up 4 ports of your 616 switch, which if I use SWM I will have plenty free anyway. Just seems like a lot of extra work to remount and split everything, but as I said maybe I am missing something someone can point out to me..

Regards.....

2. Grentz

Grentz New Member

Jan 10, 2007
    I think it should work fine, considering people do hang WB68s off of WB616 units.

3. dmurphy

dmurphy Active Member

Sep 28, 2006
    I've heard of an SWM-8 being cascaded off a WB68, so I don't see any good reason why the WB616 wouldn't work.

I'm using the splitter method with my WB68 and SWM-8, with single-port power passing splitters... the SWM-8 is on the power leg, and the WB68 is on the unpowered leg.

In fact, when I first reassembled everything, I tried turning on the receivers on the WB68 before I plugged in the power inserter for the SWM-8. Got no signal, and double-guessed my wiring for about two minutes before I reminded myself that there's no power from the WB68 to the LNB, ya dork! You were the one who insisted on the single-power-passing splitters .... (Yes, I talk to myself.)

4. WB3FFV

WB3FFV Legend

Mar 2, 2007
    Well I got it all together finally, and cascaded my SWM-8 off of my WB-616, and as I expected, it worked like a champ!

I know now as simple as the SWM based LNB, but this sure gives me beautiful options of running legacy and SWM based receivers. I will use the SWM to do my second floor stuff, and keep the legacy type connections on the ground floor where cable access is easy.

I also just added in an HR22-100, so now I need MRV so I can enjoy it all everyplace.. LOL

A couple images of the install for what it's worth:

WB-616 with the SWM-8 cables coming from the top

Both the SWM-8 and WB-616 and the interconnects going between them

SWM-8 Unit up and running

Anyway happy to say all is alive and well, and just figured I'd let all it worked great as I figured it would...

5. LameLefty

LameLefty I used to be a rocket scientist

Sep 28, 2006
    Middle...
    Nice work! Congratulations on getting everything up and running.