1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SWM and Genie Upgrade

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by PaulH2, Aug 7, 2013.

1. Aug 7, 2013 #1 of 22
    PaulH2

PaulH2 New Member

Jun 14, 2011
    Hi all,

I'm hoping to upgrade my system to include a Genie (and upgrade to SWM while I'm at it) but I wanted to double check that what I'm thinking of doing makes sense before I start ordering stuff!

My system currently consists of: HR24-100, HR21-200 and a R15-300. I do not currently have a SWM (I believe the installed multiswitch is a Zinwell 6x8 or similar). The HR24 and HR21 are connected to my LAN and are currently using the (legacy) LAN Whole Home system.

My proposed new configuration is essentially to replace the R15-300 with a HR44, so the system would be as follows:

HR44, HR24-100, HR21-200, SWM multiswitch

The plan therefore being to use SWM for Whole Home (so enabling the third location - currently the R15, to access all the DVRs). I appreciate that 3 DVRs on the system is overkill, but as I've already got the HR24 and HR21...

In order to perform the upgrade, I believe the parts I would need are therefore:

DIRECTV HR44 Genie RVU Server for Whole Home HD-DVR Receiver
    DIRECTV SWM-8 Single Wire Multi-Switch With Power Supply

I then replace the existing (non-SWM) multiswitch with the SWM-8, add the SWM power supply somewhere in the system (does it matter where?) and I'm good to go. Anything I'm missing or misunderstanding?

Thanks all for your help!

Paul

2. Aug 7, 2013 #2 of 22
    jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    The Genie has 5 tuners and the HR2x units have 2 each which totals 9 tuners. You have to change one of them to an H2x or a client to get you down to 8 or install a SWM 16 switch to handle the 9 tuners..

3. Aug 7, 2013 #3 of 22
    The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    I would go with the SWM16 in that case. The OP already has four cables coming down from the dish to the multiswitch. Basically, you swap out the multiswitch with the SWM16. The PI could be connected to the PI Power port on the SWM16 and plugged into an electrical outlet right there. I would put the two DVRs connected to a 2-way splitter off of one of the SWM16 outputs and the Genie off of the other SWM16 output. If there is Ethernet near where the Genie is going to be located, that's all that is needed. If not, I would use one of the extra coax cables from the DVRs to connect to a 2-way splitter with the Genie and on the end near the DVRs connect a Broadband DECA. And while, I realize that you can use the HR44 wirelessly to connect back to the home network, I'd rather have a hardwired connection.

- Merg

4. Aug 7, 2013 #4 of 22
    Bill Broderick

Bill Broderick Icon

Aug 25, 2006
    Long Island
    Since there are already two cables running to the DVR's, If the OP prefers to use a Broadband DECA rather than plugging directly into the Genie, I'd probably just use a one 4-way splitter, rather than two 2-way splitters and use one of the extra existing cables that's already running from the multiswitch to the DVR location (but is no longer necessary due to SWM) and connect the Broadband DECA to it.

That's what I ended up doing when I converted by 3 DVR unsupported Whole Home to SWM.

5. Aug 7, 2013 #5 of 22
    PaulH2

PaulH2 New Member

Jun 14, 2011
    Actually the two HR2x units only have a single coax running to them (only one was ever needed for the R15 and I've only been using one tuner on the HR21), the location for the HR44 does have two coax lines.

The location for the HR44 and the HR24 both have Ethernet access, the location the HR21 will be moving to (where the R15 currently is) does not have Ethernet. I assume (had assumed) that with SWM, I will only need one coax to each DVR?

So the power supply for the SWM16 (referred to as the PI above, I'm sorry, I'm pathetically ill informed with the correct terminology here!) has to be connected to a specific port on the SWM16? If so, and I only need one coax connection to the HR44, I imagine I could use the now redundant 2nd coax to that location to connect the power supply.

Thanks for all your help, the fog is slowly starting to clear!

6. Aug 7, 2013 #6 of 22
    The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    Six of one as to whether you use one 4-way or two 2-ways. Either way, you would be using that extra cable, if there is one.

- Merg

7. Aug 7, 2013 #7 of 22
    The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    How many coax lines did you have running to each DVR? In order to have full use of the dual tuners in the HR2x's and the R15, you would need 2 coax runs to each.

The PI can be connected to the power port on the SWM16 or it can be connected back through the power-passing port on SWM splitters (the red port on the splitters) back to the SWM1 output on the SWM16. I like to the use the power port on the SWM16, if possible. The PI can be on its own coax back to one of the splitters or it can be placed in-line to a receiver. Once again, I like to have it on its own coax.

If there will be Ethernet where the HR44 is going to be located, all you will need is the SWM16 and PI, one 2-way splitter, and a DECA adapter for the HR21.

- Merg

8. Aug 7, 2013 #8 of 22
    PaulH2

PaulH2 New Member

Jun 14, 2011
    Currently, there is one coax running to the R15, one to the HR21 and two to the HR24.

So, if I understand correctly (trust me, its me being slow, not your very helpful reply!), the new configuration would be:

HR44 - 1 coax + Ethernet (and use the now redundant coax to connect the PI to the SWM16 power port)
    HR24 - 1 coax + Ethernet
    HR21 - 1 coax to 2-way splitter one side to a DECA adapter, the other to the HR21

Assuming I've got that about right, is there a particular 2-way splitter you would recommend?

Thanks again!

9. Aug 7, 2013 #9 of 22
    The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    Close...

Try this way...

SWM1 Output to HR44
    SWM Power Port to PI
    SWM2 Output to 2-way Splitter

2-way Splitter Output 1 to HR24 SAT1 Input
    2-way Splitter Output 2 to DECA Adapter

DECA Adapter coax output to HR21 SAT1 Input
    DECA Adapter Ethernet output to HR21 Ethernet port

As for the splitter, you just need a green label SWM splitter like this... http://www.solidsignal.com/pview.asp?p=split2mrv&d=directv-sws-2-satellite-2-way-wide-band-mrv-compatible-splitter-(2--2150-mhz)&sku=874409002404

You don't need to connect Ethernet to the HR24 as the network traffic is done over the coax. The HR21 doesn't have a DECA built-in, which is why you need the adapter.

- Merg

10. PaulH2

PaulH2 New Member

Jun 14, 2011
    OK, we're getting there I think. OK, requirement for the DECA on the HR21 understood. Progress.

At present, there are (I think) 6 coax connections to the multiswitch (5 prewired into the house and the 6th added for the second connection to what will be the HR44 location) - is there a reason I need to use the 2-way splitter to the HR24 and HR21 or can I use 3 output ports on the SWM16 (so SWM1 to the HR44, SWM2 to the HR24 and SWM3 to the HR21)? Sorry I've only seen photos of the SWM16 so I'm not sure what ports it actually has, so the simple answer might be that it only has 2 outputs!

Thank you very much for your time and patience!

11. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    The SWM16 only has two outputs. Each output can handle up to 8 tuners. It is expected that you will use splitters in order to connect more than one receiver/DVR to an output (up to the max of 8 tuners per output). You should only need 4 coax cables for your new setup with one coax to each item (HR44, HR24, HR21, and PI).

- Merg

12. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
  13. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
  14. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    What I have posted so far in this thread is basically all I know ( read ) about these things.

15. PaulH2

PaulH2 New Member

Jun 14, 2011
    Got it, thank you! OK, one last question and I think I'm straight, is the SWS-2 splitter you recommended OK for an outdoor installation?

16. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    Not sure about that... Is your multi-switch currently outside? The SWM16 can be placed outside.

- Merg

17. PaulH2

PaulH2 New Member

Jun 14, 2011
    Yes, the multi-switch is currently outside and the pre-wired coax lines are all run to the outside, hence the desire to put the splitter outdoors as rewiring that could get rather messy...

18. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    Yes, the multi-switch is currently outside and the pre-wired coax lines are all run to the outside, hence the desire to put the splitter outdoors as rewiring that could get rather messy...

You might be able to put it one of those weather boxes that the cable companies use.

- Merg

Sent from my iPhone using DBSTalk mobile app

19. PaulH2

PaulH2 New Member

Jun 14, 2011
  20. PaulH2

PaulH2 New Member

Jun 14, 2011
    Looks like it is OK for outdoor use, according to the specs on Solid Signal: "2-way Wide Band Satellite Splitter, One Port DC Path (Indoor/Outdoor)"