SWM & Birdog Sat Meter

Discussion in 'DIRECTV - SWMLine Discussion (private)' started by RobertE, Apr 2, 2008.

1. Apr 2, 2008 #1 of 13
    RobertE

RobertE Active Member

Jun 9, 2006
    Scratch one more concern of my list.

http://www.birdog.tv/default.aspx?page=2

2. Apr 2, 2008 #2 of 13
    houskamp

houskamp Active Member

Sep 14, 2006
  3. Apr 2, 2008 #3 of 13
    RobertE

RobertE Active Member

Jun 9, 2006
    Nah, just a small inverter in the truck. Already have a ~150ft dual cable that I use for Hughenet. So, good to go there. Just going to have to be real, real sure I hook it up right. :grin:

4. Apr 2, 2008 #4 of 13
    RobertE

RobertE Active Member

Jun 9, 2006
    This also leads me to believe that the general release of the SWM/SWMline has taken a nice step forward.

5. Apr 2, 2008 #5 of 13
    azarby

azarby Hall Of Fame

Dec 15, 2006
    If you have ever opened up the PI28, there appears to be the equivalent of a standard splitter/ filter with a power input. In essence, the the approach you just outlined would be similar to connecting the meter to an open leg on a standard splitter. I have a Digisat III Pro meter that I might try to see if it would work that way. I'm just not sure how I would select the 119.

Bob

6. Apr 3, 2008 #6 of 13
    azarby

azarby Hall Of Fame

Dec 15, 2006
    Well the Digisat gets a signal off of either the PI or a splitter output. Just not sure what sat it is seeing as there is no way to control any of the SWM output. Looks like my meter may end up being an archeological artifact.:(

Bob

7. Apr 3, 2008 #7 of 13
    Hansen

Hansen Hall Of Fame

Jan 1, 2006
    With the Birddog and the new files, could you do the install where you mount the dish, lnb, etc, run all the exterior wiring inside to the headend location, install the power inserter, and then go back to the dish, and put a 2 way splitter with one leg power-passing between the lnb and wire going back inside to the PI, and put the PI wire on the power-passing leg and then hook up the birddog to the non-power passing leg of the splitter?
    That way you have power to the lnb but can also dial in the dish using the meter at the dish location.

Would this work?

8. Apr 3, 2008 #8 of 13
    MIAMI1683

MIAMI1683 New Member

Jul 11, 2007
    My friend got a video on this last week. He was told in the next couple of months before they get it. He's an installer here in Palm Coast, and works for Mastec.

9. Apr 3, 2008 #9 of 13
    RobertE

RobertE Active Member

Jun 9, 2006
    I'm not sure.

The way they describe it is:
    SWMLnb->PI->Birdog.

I'm just a bit hesitant of possibly pumping the PI voltage through my Birdog. :D

10. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    Always carry a good DC block.
    Never leave home without one. :lol:

11. azarby

azarby Hall Of Fame

Dec 15, 2006
    As long as the Birdog is on the downhill side of the PI, you shouldn't have any problem. The downhill side should not have any DC. I tried it with my Digisat and got a good strong signal. The problem I have is that there is no way that I know of to select a particular sat witht the setup I have.

bob

12. Hansen

Hansen Hall Of Fame

Jan 1, 2006
    I see Robert E's concern about frying the Birddog if an installer is distracted and hooks up the PI to the wrong leg of the splitter. In that case, might be good to send out to all installers or recommend they use the Skywalker power passive splitters that make it near impossible to mess up and get direct voltage to the birddog from the PI.

Another alternative I guess, assuming the installer does not have a power inverter with him, is a long extension cord to the customer's AC outlet and take the PI up with on the roof connected to the AC extension cord and use the birddog with the PI up with you.

Still, in the end, given the state of current meters, it looks like a SWMLine install requires some extra steps to align. I suspect these extra steps are more than offset by not having run 3 additional RG6 lines from the dish to the headend.

13. houskamp

houskamp Active Member

Sep 14, 2006
    Easiest wat to protect the meter is to leave a nonpowerpass splitter on it at all times... even if it's just one leg attached to meter..