1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SWM For an Existing HD DVR

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by rjc, Nov 22, 2009.

1. rjc

rjc Legend

Jan 26, 2006
    I would like to make sure and get your feedback on my setup:

I currently have the following receivers:
    (1) HR20 with two wires connected to both tuners
    (2) HR22 with two wires connected to both tuners
    (1) HR20 with one wire connected
    (1) HR22 with one wire connected
    (1) 5 LNB Dish

I would like to add SWM to my setup in order to be able to get both tuners on the two receivers I currently do not have two wires running to it.

Do I just need to get a SWM with Power supply and 8 way splitter?
    Do I need any additional pieces of equipment at the recievers?
    Or do I just run one cable from the swm directly to tuner#1 on the receiver(without the BBC)?

Also, can I now take the 2nd cable that was running to tuner #2 on the receiver with two runs and no longer need that cable?

Feedback is appreciated
    Thanks

2. hilmar2k

hilmar2k Hall Of Fame

Mar 18, 2007
    The SWM LNB won't work, as it only supports 8 tuners. You'll need a comnbination of the SWM8 and multiswitches. And yes, you can yank the cable to the second tuner.

3. rjc

rjc Legend

Jan 26, 2006
    I dont have the SWM LNB....I have the older LNB with 4 wires running out of it

What I am thinking about getting is the SWM-8 Multi switch

4. hilmar2k

hilmar2k Hall Of Fame

Mar 18, 2007
    You can replace the LNB of the AU9 with the SWM LNB. I though that's what you might be thinking of doing.

5. rjc

rjc Legend

Jan 26, 2006
    My dish is high up on my roof so its hard to change out

If I then am getting a SWM Multiswitch do I take the 4 cables coming out of the dish connect them into the multiswitch and then run 5 cables out to each of HD DVR receivers into tuner #1....and would I then have two tuner capability at each of these receivers?

6. Shades228

Shades228 DaBears

Mar 18, 2008
    You would need 2 SWM 8's and the expander for 10 tuners of HD.

7. hilmar2k

hilmar2k Hall Of Fame

Mar 18, 2007
    Yes and no. You were right until the 5 cables out part. The SWM8 only supports 8 tuners, so 4 cables out. You will need to sun a second SWM8 in parallel to support more tuners. Or you can run the SWM8 and a multiswitch, but the DVRs on the multiswitch will need to cable runs.

EDIT: Here's a thread describing running SWM8 and a multiswitch in parallel.