SWM going bad?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by su_A_ve, Feb 20, 2020.

1. su_A_ve

su_A_ve Legend

Sep 26, 2007
    I have an old installation with a slimline dish going to a SWM-8 and then an 8 port green label splitter with a power inverter. I have two HR24 and a DECA ethernet adapter connected to it. Used to have HR20s so needed the additional ports.

During the last few months, I started to get transponders going to zero and back up to mid-90s after a few seconds. Sending a refresh signal and a reboot took care of it, except it would happen again after a month or so. AT&T online sees the receivers as offline, even though they are online.

Tonight, both receivers went dark and got 775 messages. Rebooting did nothing and could not send a reset signal cause I could not log in (apparently servers went down is what I was told when trying to reset passwords even though that wasn't it). Power Cycled the power inserter (even though it was green) and was back up.

D* wanted to do a truck roll for $20 but refused. I'm not on contract and very close to jump to YTV and Sling (for Spanish tier - I have an old Option package). Not doing any protection plan nor extending contract. Besides the dish which is old but still works, what should I replace?

Power inserter? SWM-8? Splitter? (I do have a 4 port splitter that I could replace it with).

2. SledgeHammer

SledgeHammer Icon

Dec 28, 2007
    I had a SWM-8 go bad, but that's only cuz the idiot who serviced my A/C decided to bury it in the insulation in the attic. I only went up to the attic cuz my TV went out... surprised that thing didn't start a fire, it was hot when I pulled it out of the insulation.

I'd start with that, it's a cheap part and likely the culprit. I had similar symptoms.

3. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    Call them back and let them come out.
    They will put you in a new LNB. This LNB will do away with the need for the SWM 8 box that you have.
    They will cure all your problems.

4. WestDC

WestDC Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

Feb 9, 2008
    Your issue Could also be Just "water Damage" of Exposed RG6 Connectors

A service call -Will NOT Start any New Contract -- as long if you need a receiver replacement -and they replace it -Like for like --NO contract -- Hardware (lnB) Wire -Switch -or Splitters do NOT create a contract

Last edited: Feb 20, 2020
    Rich and jimmie57 like this.
  5. studechip

studechip Godfather

Apr 16, 2012
    The power inserter is easy to test for voltage. It's either 21 or 29 volts.

6. b4pjoe

b4pjoe New Member

Nov 19, 2010
    Sounds like the exact issue I had last summer. Turned out to be a bad LNB.

7. SledgeHammer

SledgeHammer Icon

Dec 28, 2007
    But it does create $100 charge ;) unless you have PP. I specifically put my SWIM in the attic so I could service it myself. The Swim / PI / splitter generally come as a single bundle on eBay for a lot less then a $100.

8. WestDC

WestDC Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

Feb 9, 2008
    Well the OP said He Turn down a $20 Service charge

9. slice1900

slice1900 Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2013
    Iowa
    A SWM8 will run fine on a PI21. Directv doesn't spec that, but the SWM8 doesn't draw enough power to come close to maxing out a PI21 unless you had a long run of CCS wasting power also. Even a SWM16 would work, but then you are getting too close for comfort to the output wattage for that to be a good idea.