1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SWM Install - Problems with 1 receiver

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by alhurricane, Oct 17, 2009.

1. alhurricane

alhurricane AllStar

Sep 21, 2007
    A few days ago, I had an install at my new house. I brought a HR20 and HR21 with me and had another HDDVR installed, which turned out to be a HR22. I had a SWM install and both my HR20 and HR21 seem to be working without any issues. I am having issues with my HR22 however. I keep getting intermittent 'Searching for Satellite Signal on Tuner 2' errors and sometimes when I change channels, it hangs on a gray screen.

I have checked my signal strengths and they are all in the 93-100 range on Tuner 1, Tuner 2, and SWM. The 771 error does not hang around long enough for me to check the signal strengths at that time, but it is certainly annoying and distracting to watching shows. I have already tried unplugging all units including the power inserter, then powering up one unit at a time. That did not work.

Any thoughts on this? Something wrong with the SWM or perhaps a bad HR22? Based on the signal strengths, I wouldn't think it would be an alignment problem.

I have been a DirecTV customer for years, but a novice when it comes to the SWM. Any advice you all have would be great.

2. Go Beavs

Go Beavs Hall Of Fame

Nov 18, 2008
    Portland,...
    Try swapping the receivers and see if the problem follows the receiver or stays with the coax. That should give you a pretty good idea if it's a cabling issue or a faulty receiver.

3. mcbeevee

mcbeevee 97% Complete

Sep 18, 2006
    You could try swapping the HR22 with one of the other HD-DVR's. If the problem stays with the HR22, there is an issue with it. If the problem stays at the same location, there is a cabling/SWM issue.

:)

4. alhurricane

alhurricane AllStar

Sep 21, 2007
    The HR22 I am having issues with is co-located with the power inserter. If I switch receivers around, will I mess with up the communication with the SWM LNB?

5. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    Nope, each time the receiver boots it "resets" the comm with the SWM.

6. alhurricane

alhurricane AllStar

Sep 21, 2007
    Well I switched out the HR22 and HR20. Much to my surprise, both receivers are working fine in their new rooms after a couple of days. I don't quite understand how the problem just went away. I thought it would either now show up on the HR20 if it was a cable problem or on the HR22 if it was a receiver issue. However, there is no problem to report at this time. Since that is the case, I am going to leave the receivers as is for now.

7. Sharkie_Fan

Sharkie_Fan Hall Of Fame

Sep 26, 2006
    Different receivers seem to have different "sensitivities". I have an R16 and HR20 in the living room in the same place, running off SWM.

Originally, I had 2 cables coming into that location, and the R16 would run on one cable, but not the other. The HR20 would run on either cable.

8. mobandit

mobandit Hall Of Fame

Sep 4, 2007
    The coax connection might have been a 'hair' loose when the HR22 was connected...by removing and reinstalling you corrected the issue...there may also have been some other foreign contaminant on the center conductor that you have now removed by unscrewing and reconnecting the coax...you may also have scared away the gremlin that had taken up residence in the HR22....

9. hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001 Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2004
    Very likely the exact cause.

Coax connectors need to be properly "seated" when connected...and even a slight lack of being properly in place can cause them not to work.

I've seen that firsthand a number of times now....and its one of the first things I check if anyone I know has a signal problem.

10. looney2ns

looney2ns Legend

Sep 20, 2007
    Coax connectors should be always snugged up with a wrench, NOT finger tightened. I see way too many cable installers and sat installers just finger tighten connections, which can cause all sorts of issues.

11. ffemtreed

ffemtreed Icon

Jan 30, 2008
    I agree with this for switch connections and Satellite connections, however I completely disagree that the connections to the sat receivers should be wrenched down. A finger tight snug is all you need.

12. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    If you truly understand "snug", then use it everywhere.

13. Mertzen

Mertzen Hall Of Fame

Dec 8, 2006
    D* specifies wrench tight outside, finger tight inside.

14. David MacLeod

David MacLeod New Member

Jan 29, 2008
    split the difference...wren-ger tight :)

15. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    Glad I never listen then and use what I know in all my years... :lol:

"Specs" for an F-type connector are 25 in/lbs.

16. rudeney

rudeney Hall Of Fame

May 28, 2007
    It could also be a bad connector where some stray shielding braid is contacting the center conductor and moving things around "fixed" it. I'd definitely inspect those connectors.