1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SWM issue with one receiver on reset

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by sritter, Dec 12, 2012.

1. sritter

sritter Mentor

Aug 5, 2004
    Hi,

My setup includes an HR34, H20 and HR21-200 with whole home. Whenever we experience a power outage (or the HR21-200 is updated) it sits at 0% on receiving satellite settings until I disconnect another device from the MSPLIT4R1-03 splitter. All other devices come up fine. Once I disconnect another device and RBR on the HR21-200 is comes up fine at which point I can reconnect the disconnected device and it to is fine. I have tried switching the HR21-200 to another port on the splitter and it has the same issue if all 4 devices are connected.

Is this most likely a splitter issue or receiver?

2. dielray

dielray Legend

Aug 5, 2009
    To me it sounds like a cabling issue.

The way SWM works is it outputs 9 channels, one for guide and conditional access data, and then 8 more to be used by receivers. Each channel operates at higher frequencies than the previous. The higher the frequency, the less likely it is to come in with longer runs or damaged cable/connectors. Typically these channels are assigned from lower to higher.

The receivers once booted up use the 1st(and easiest to get in) SWM channel to download guide data. I'm not sure if they use this while booting up. If they don't, it would explain your issue.

What are your readings on the HR21 if you bring all 3 receivers to the SWM signal meter screen at the same time(or disconnect the HR34 and H20)?

Are you using RG59?

As a side note, I'm surprised to see an H20 in a whole home environment. This typically means you've done part or all of the install yourself. If you did, do you still have extra connectors and cable around?

3. peds48

peds48 Genius.

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    you mentioned "4 devices" but listed 3 receivers. those 3 receives max you out on a SWM system. what is the 4th device. it looks like you have an oversubscribed SWM system

4. sritter

sritter Mentor

Aug 5, 2004
    The 4th device is the Deca Broadband Adapter. No RG59.

I didn't do any of the install myself. Actually I just looked it up it is an H25, not an H20, sorry about that.

I will post this back later today.

5. sritter

sritter Mentor

Aug 5, 2004
    I went into the SWM signal meter in this order, HR34, HR21, H25

HR34 - 100's across the board
    HR21 - Transponder 2 at 0, rest at 100
    H25 - 100's across the board.

I then went to exit all the receivers out of the meter, in the order below, and the results had changed which I understand is due to the number of tuners in use, when a tuner is in use the transponder will show 0.

HR21 - 100's across the board
    H25 - 0's on 8 & 9, 100's on the rest
    HR34 - 0's on 2, 8, & 9, 100's on the rest.

6. dielray

dielray Legend

Aug 5, 2009
    Interesting. Nothing pin-points to a specific issue with the HR21. Right now it appears like your HR21 is assigned channels 8 and 9. This is where I had expected the problems. It's hard to say exactly whats going on.

Are you having any other issues with it?

What are your 101 readings from both tuners of the HR21?