1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SWM-LNB Questions

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by rayxxxle, Mar 12, 2009.

1. rayxxxle

rayxxxle Legend

Mar 28, 2007
    I am considering purchasing a SWM-LNB with a 4 way splitter for my slimline dish. My problem is that I still have a R15-500 on an older TV in the grandkids play room. Will a line work on this receiver off the new LNB and splitter?

I have a HR20-700 in the den, and just ordered another HD DVR to go in the bed room for a new TV I just bought, and the R15 in the kids room.

Also, how do I tell if I have .2042 firmware on the 700? I have gone through setup, and everything I can think off, and it doesn't tell me the firmware version.

If the SWM LNB won't work with the R15, it looks like the only option will be to run another wire into the BR, and deal with the wife when she hits the ceiling.:)

Thanks,
    Errol

2. litzdog911

litzdog911 Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2004
    Mill Creek, WA
    No, the R15 is not SWM compatible.

Your HR20 will work fine with that dish.

3. rayxxxle

rayxxxle Legend

Mar 28, 2007
    Looks like installing the Zinwell WB68, and extra wires is my only option then.:mad:
    Also changed my Sig. to reflect changes.
    Thanks
    Errol

4. randyk47

randyk47 Icon

Aug 21, 2006
    San Antonio, TX
    Have you considered going the SWM-8 route and using the legacy port for your R15?

5. rayxxxle

rayxxxle Legend

Mar 28, 2007
    Would still have to run an extra line down the house, and it looks like around $230.00 for that option.

Thanks for the suggestion though. I am still considering.

Errol

6. randyk47

randyk47 Icon

Aug 21, 2006
    San Antonio, TX
    Since I had a high performing Slimline (mid to high 90's) I figured I'd not mess with that. Total cost for me was about $135 but I didn't have to run any additional lines.

7. rayxxxle

rayxxxle Legend

Mar 28, 2007
    Well, I took your suggestion, and ordered a SWM-8. Will only have to run one line instead of two, and getting along with the wife is worth it.

Still would like to know how the find the firmware version of the HR20-700. Do I need to re boot and look for it like on a computer?

Errol

8. randyk47

randyk47 Icon

Aug 21, 2006
    San Antonio, TX
    Go to Menu and get into the Setup Menu. From there highlight Info & Test and hit enter. The screen will populate with System Info and System Test tabs. Under the System Info tab you'll see the software version. Not sure about anything labeled "firmware" and the number in your post doesn't ring a bell but I don't have a 700.

9. doctrsnoop

doctrsnoop Godfather

Nov 20, 2007
    firmware version will be under Menu - Setup - Info/Test

If the unit has been in use for a few months, it would be very unlikely you would have the old incompatible firmware

10. rayxxxle

rayxxxle Legend

Mar 28, 2007
    Thanks to all,
    The site I was looking at for the SWM LNB, said it was only compatible with firmware .2042 or newer. I assumed the SWM-8 would be the same.

Errol

11. randyk47

randyk47 Icon

Aug 21, 2006
    San Antonio, TX
    Long as your receiver has been up and running it has what it needs to work with either the SWM LNB or the SWM-8. Quite frankly I found it amazing simple to install the SWM-8. Long as you follow some very basic steps you'll be just fine.

12. rayxxxle

rayxxxle Legend

Mar 28, 2007
    Randy,
    Thanks,
    I know I will find out when I get the unit, but relative to the Power Inserter, can it go in any line? (not the legacy)

Errol

13. miketorse

miketorse Icon

Jul 29, 2008
    It must be attached to the SWM1 port. Can be either before or after the splitter in the line.

14. randyk47

randyk47 Icon

Aug 21, 2006
    San Antonio, TX
    Personally I installed mine behind the AV stack in my theater because that's where I could easily power it and that puts the PI between IRD#1 and the splitter. The splitter will be marked with a power passing connection. The main caution here, even if you put it between the splitter and the SWM-8, is to make sure you watch that the power out connection on the PI is on the line running toward the SWM-8 and not a receiver.

15. rayxxxle

rayxxxle Legend

Mar 28, 2007
    Is a splitter required? I didn't order that. Or are you talking about the SWM8 where the cables tie in? (as opposed to the power inserter module):confused:

Sorry to appear dumb.
    Errol

16. doctrsnoop

doctrsnoop Godfather

Nov 20, 2007
    If you're only using the one receiver (or two) you won't need a splitter.

17. Johnnie5000

Johnnie5000 Godfather

Mar 26, 2008
    Considering your setup and what you ordered, a 2-way wouldn't hurt.

18. rayxxxle

rayxxxle Legend

Mar 28, 2007
    I bought the SWM-8, and have 3 DVR's. 1 R15, and two HD DVRs

Wont the SWM8 handle those?

ER

19. randyk47

randyk47 Icon

Aug 21, 2006
    San Antonio, TX
    Rayxxxle - I've sent you a private message but the SWM-8 will handle what you have but it does need one more inexpensive splitter. We'll talk....

Randy

20. doctrsnoop

doctrsnoop Godfather

Nov 20, 2007
    One DVR for each SWM port and Legacy to the R15. Power Inserter. No splitter. Am I missing something?