1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SWM LNB with more than 8 tuners

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by caedriver, Mar 30, 2010.

1. caedriver

caedriver Cool Member

Jun 25, 2008
    I have a SWM LNB. I want to attach 9 tuners (maybe more). Is this at all possible with this dish?

If not, do I need to go back to a Slimline 5LNB? If I did that could I use a SWM8 and another mulitswitch (WB68 with a BBC)? Or would I have to use two SWM8's (or a SMW8 and SWM5)

How would I wire all this? I have a SWM8 just laying around not being used if that helps at all.

3HDDVR's
    3HD

Thanks in advance and sorry for all the questions!

2. RobertE

RobertE New Member

Jun 9, 2006
    No, you can not do 9 tuners with the SWM LNB.

For 9 tuners your going to need to go to 2 WB68s, or 2 SWM8s or one of each.

3. randyk47

randyk47 Icon

Aug 21, 2006
    San Antonio, TX
    The only other solution, and I'm not saying it's a good one, would be to put up a second dish with a SWM LNB. Eventually, maybe soon, a SWM-16 will be available which would cut down on the parts you'd need to support more than 8 tuners but that would still require changing the dish out to a Slimline 5LNB.

4. Deputy Fife

Deputy Fife Cool Member

Jul 19, 2008
    Doesn't the SWM8 actually support up to 11 tuners via the 3 legacy ports?

5. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    Yes, but the legacy ports don't pass Ka-lo which is where most HD is these days.

6. kevinturcotte

kevinturcotte Active Member

Dec 19, 2006
    Outside...
    Yes, but the legacy ports don't get a signal from 99 and 103, and since he's going to have all HD receivers, this is kind of pointless.
    What you can do right now is (If you plan to do this before the SWM16 is released) is purchase 2 SWM8s and they have a combiner which basically creates a SWM16.

7. David MacLeod

David MacLeod New Member

Jan 29, 2008
    no matter what solution you go with the swm lnb will not work. its 8 tuners max no matter what. and no expansion is allowed.

edit: you would HAVE to use the non-swm (4 output) lnb you have

8. carl6

carl6 Moderator Staff Member DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    With regard to the how...

Get four dual port power passing high frequency splitters. Run the four coax from the dish into the four splitters. Run coax from the outputs of the splitters to the same input on two multiswitches (e.g., splitter one outputs go to the 13V non tone inputs, splitter two outputs go to the 13V 22KHz inputs, etc.). You can run two SWM8's in parallel, an SWM8 and a WB68 in parallel, or two WB68's in parallel.

9. dwedell

dwedell New Member

Jan 28, 2008
    Alternatively you can use the 2-port or 4-port SWM SWM-E2 or SWM-E4 expander with a 3A-502DA22 power supply. These units will take the 4-cables from the 3LNB or 5LNB feedhorn, and allow you to plug in the SWM8 controllers.

You will need 4 cables from the dish though instead of the current 1 cable.

10. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    You missed David MacLeod's recognition that the OP's SWiM LNB isn't compatible with anything that will allow them to go beyond 8 tuners.

Of course how the OP gets to 9 or more tuners is DIRECTV's problem.

11. caedriver

caedriver Cool Member

Jun 25, 2008
    So 4 coax cables coming off the dish go into the first SWM8 and then how would you run that to the other SWM8 (or WB68)?

Or do you take the four coming off the dish into a splitter for each cable. Then out from each splitter into the two switches?

12. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    Bingo!

13. randyk47

randyk47 Icon

Aug 21, 2006
    San Antonio, TX
    Your second question is the answer. Four off the dish to a splitter for each cable then out to the SWM8's.

14. RobertE

RobertE New Member

Jun 9, 2006
    And as usual, you missed the part where the OP stated he also had a non-SWiM LNB that he could use. So, Carl's post was spot on, your's on the otherhand had ZERO value to the OP. :rolleyes:

15. caedriver

caedriver Cool Member

Jun 25, 2008
    Hey cool, I got it right! Now it looks like though if I want to do MRV, which ever receiver is on that second switch by itself will be very lonely as it will never get a chance to play with the other receivers. Am I correct?

In that case I see two options:

1.Run Cat6 everywhere (not that fun)
    2.Wait for the SWM16 to be released (not as complexed, but how long would I have to play the waiting game)

If I'm wrong somewhere please someone correct me, Thanks

16. RobertE

RobertE New Member

Jun 9, 2006
    The SWiM-16 should be along "Real Soon Now". Give it a month or two. I would expect availablity to be much better after the national rollout of MRV in mid May.

17. chevyguy559

chevyguy559 Fresno State Bulldog!

Sep 19, 2008
    Fresno, CA
    You could also put one of your HD-DVR's into single tuner mode to fall under the 8 tuner limit of the SWM-LNB. This is what I do with the HR21 in my garage during the summer when I use the D12 out on the patio....then in winter I unplug the D12 and put the HR21 back to dual tuner mode :) I usually only record movies and stuff late at night on that DVR so I don't run into problems with it only being in single tuner mode :D

18. David MacLeod

David MacLeod New Member

Jan 29, 2008
    I should have clarified in my post that he would need to use the non-swm one he had.

19. caedriver

caedriver Cool Member

Jun 25, 2008
    Actually, I should have clarified that I don't actually have a non-swm dish. I was stating that I'd have to go back to one since I can't use SWM LNB with more then 8 tuners. I'm assuming DirecTV will switch this back for me since they gave me a non-swm lnb to begin with before switching me to the SWM LNB.

I was fine with the switch until I decided 8 tuners wasn't enough:D

20. kevinturcotte

kevinturcotte Active Member

Dec 19, 2006
    Outside...
    If the tuner that puts you over is ordered with Directv, they will do what needs to be done to get all tuners working. If you order it from somebody else, you're on your own as far as Directv is concerned.