1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SWM Multiswitch Question

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by mluntz, Sep 16, 2012.

1. mluntz

mluntz Icon

Jul 13, 2006
    I am looking to convert my legacy slimline lnb to a swm system. All I really need is the swm lnb, 21v power inserter, and 8 way splitter? A multiswitch is not required for this setup, correct?

Thanks

2. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    The SWiM LNB doesn't /can't use a multiswitch.
    I might get a 4-way splitter instead of an 8-way with the receivers you have.

3. HoTat2

HoTat2 Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2005
    Los...
    Of note;

Technically speaking, any multi-sat dish requires a "multi-switch."

The SWiM LNB has a single wire "multi-switch" built into the LNB itself and cannot ever be used with an external one of any type.

The legacy four output LNB has a conventional voltage/tone multiline "multi-switch" integrated into the LNB and may be used with another external one of that type to expand the number of lines or with a SWiM type "multi-switch" to convert the installation to single wire.

4. alvy

alvy New Member

Sep 25, 2012
    We just recently moved, in the mayhem we forgot a switch. What system did direct tv install using the single line technology in 2009...I need to find out the missing part.

5. carl6

carl6 Moderator Staff Member DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    Using single line technology, you would have one coax from the dish. Depending on how many receivers you have and locations, the following would be someplace:

A power inserter that the coax goes to and plugs into AC power. You must have this, so no matter what you would have had one of these.

One or more splitters. Coax from the dish (or from the power inserter) goes to the input of the splitter, and coax from the output of the splitter to various tv locations.

The power inserter could have been between the dish and the splitter, or between the splitter and one of the TV locations, or could have just been off the splitter without another coax going to a tv location.