Swm not detected

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by danny modlin, Jul 29, 2019.

Tags:
  1. danny modlin

danny modlin New Member

Jul 29, 2019
    Unplugged power inserter, disconnected dish. Moved dish from roof to back deck due to roof being replaced. Dish is roughly pointed 228/60/40 and is plumb. Before i can aim it and get it fine adjusted I need to clear the SWM not detected message. Receiver not communicating with dish. I have used 2 different Power inserted, reset them by unplugging and get this code every time. Rec is hooked to inserted ird out and dish to swm connector. Also tried a 4 way swm splitter that has dc power thru. Directv cust support was no help. I don’t know of any issues that att can create because i moved my dish and inserted 30 feet.

2. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    It sounds like you need to trace the coax from the power inserter to the splitter and make sure it is connected to the power passing port. Then check to see if the coax connected to the splitter goes to the LNB on the dish.

3. danny modlin

danny modlin New Member

Jul 29, 2019
    Thanks, I tried it with no splitter (1 receiver only so don’t need splitter) and “to swm” going to lnb and “to IRD” going to receiver. Also tried it using 4 way as in pic and tried it using 4 way and didn’t use the ird out on the inserter and capped it. 3 complete perfectly good methods.

Attached Files:

4. WestDC

WestDC Well-Known Member

Feb 9, 2008
    Things to Suspect - Damaged LNB - Damaged RG6 from Dish -- Your Dish should be aligned First using a Meter that way you would know if the LNB is Good to start with- - NOTE -These are suggestions - if that is not possible - Then call 800- 531-5000 and request a Service call. -The longer you wait -the longer it takes

5. danny modlin

danny modlin New Member

Jul 29, 2019
    Thanks,
    Thanks. I have never needed a service call and want to resolve this myself. I have a spare lnb and will try that. It worked Friday night then Saturday after moving it it does not work. Could be moisture in the lnb that got moved around relocating the dish. If AT&T is playing some game where they have to come out to do something then I will be dropping Direct after 20+ years as well as ATT cell service.

WestDC likes this.
  6. west99999

west99999 Icon

May 11, 2007

No games, you are just doing something wrong or have bad equipment that you need to troubleshoot.