1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SWM & Off Air Antenna??

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by georgecostanza, Sep 1, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sep 1, 2007 #1 of 19
    georgecostanza

georgecostanza Mentor

Jan 10, 2005
    Is it going to be possible to insert an Off-Air Antenna into the SWM and then have off-air available in every room? Also, I'm having my HR10 replaced in 2 weeks with an HR20, anyone know if DTV be installing SWM's by then?

2. Sep 1, 2007 #2 of 19
    lwilli201

lwilli201 Hall Of Fame

Dec 22, 2006
    Missouri
    The SWM-8 has an OTA port. At the receiver you will have to have a diplexer with lead to Sat 1 and OTA inputs. Not sure what will happen if you get a H21 or HR21. They do not have OTA inputs.

3. Sep 1, 2007 #3 of 19
    packfan909

packfan909 Icon

Oct 6, 2006
    The OTA port on the SWM8 does not work for residential installations. Too much loss of signal to recover from. Best solution is to insert OTA after the SWM. This will work for both models. All that is needed at the receiver end is high gain splitters instead of a diplexer. Some of the SWM control data is in the OTA range and would be lost if diplexed out. To recap diplex in, and split out. Remember, the more times you split, the more loss you will experience. If necessary, use an inline amp. I have OTA split to three tvs and get solid signal but considerable loss.

And yes, SWM and OTA are possible.

pf
    EDIT: No word on release dates for any SWM product yet. I would not count on SWM for your install. Use your second run for OTA once you do get SWM.

4. Sep 1, 2007 #4 of 19
    georgecostanza

georgecostanza Mentor

Jan 10, 2005
    thanks for the info, I'm a little confused so i'll just explain my situation. I can run as many lines as I want into the main TV room, but in my bedroom I only have 1 line going down the wall, because of a vaulted cieling it's impossible for me to run an additional line. I'm going to get an HR20 installed in that bedroom and would like to be able to hook up the 2 tuners + the OTA. Is this possible with SWM?

5. Sep 1, 2007 #5 of 19
    veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    Yes it will.
    Diplex your OTA in [after the swim] and then diplex it out at your receiver.

6. Sep 1, 2007 #6 of 19
    packfan909

packfan909 Icon

Oct 6, 2006
    No need to diplex out. Just use a splitter out and diplex in after the SWM. That is how mine is setup and how the experts advised me to connect the SWM. You will have to go single tuner on the bedrm until swm is released. Also, no OTA until swm once D10 goes live.

pf

7. Sep 1, 2007 #7 of 19
    saryon

saryon Icon

Aug 12, 2007
    AIUI, you cannot do OTA and SWM sat on the same wire because on the non-legacy output of the SWM there are channel frequencies being remapped into the same bands as OTA (70-700?) - it's one or the other.

8. Sep 1, 2007 #8 of 19
    veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    Simply not true.
    SWM outputs are above that and legacy ports, we're told, don't pass Ka-lo.

9. Sep 1, 2007 #9 of 19
    saryon

saryon Icon

Aug 12, 2007
    Yea, but aren't they FTMing the Ka-lo stuff out the non-legacy ports, so diplexing in OTA will hose it? Maybe I didn't phrase what I was saying right - I believe you can diplex in OTA on the legacy ports, but I don't believe you can diplex in OTA on the SWM ports. The OP was talking about diplexing in OTA on a SWM non-legacy port to an HR20 SWM input. That's going to work after D10 is lit?

10. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    I have a SWM8. The SWM8 has a OTA input, so NO [to OTA FTM], the SWM ports can carry OTA without problems [whether SWM5 or 8 with OTA port].

11. Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    ?? OTA port works fine here. Currently run to 4 different locations without any problems, and further split and diplex at those locations.

Methinks you have been given some misinformation.

Cheers,
    Tom

12. Tom Robertson

Nov 15, 2005
    The reason to diplex out is reduced loss. A two-way splitter will reduce the signal by a minimum of 3.5db. A good diplexor is less than 1db on the OTA and a bit more (IIRC) on the satellite line.

Cheers,
    Tom

13. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    Splitting equally verses "directing" FWIW

14. saryon

saryon Icon

Aug 12, 2007
    Interesting, I stand corrected. I knew the SWM5/8 had OTA inputs, but was under the impression that the OTA stuff would not function out the non-legacy ports. Certainly make my life easier once they are publically available, I have at least 3 rooms I want to send my OTA to but don't want to run a third line. I was diplexed in all day long with the old Spaun but had to pull it when I installed the WB68 and un-did it since the Zinwell documentation says "Do not diplex (combine) an off-air signal with a Ka/Ku dish signal, since the Ka-Lo band of 250-750 MHz occupies
    the same frequency band as the off-air signal and will cause interference."

What's the mechanism that lets it work with the SWM?

15. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    The SWM is like a pre-selector and converter. It selects only one transponder and then coverts it to a frequency the receiver can tune to [for each tuner connected].
    I'm still "unsure" about the legacy posts [I don't know if the OTA port is connected or whether for sure Ka-lo doesn't pass, Hi does for sure].

16. Tom Robertson

Nov 15, 2005
    I have similar issues. SWM is fantastic.

Veryoldschool's answer as to how is spot on. I can't add to that. :)

Cheers,
    Tom

17. hdtv_doc

hdtv_doc Cool Member

Aug 5, 2007
    I thought only the SWM8 had an OTA input?

On another note, what splitters are approved by directv for splitting the swm signal? I'm replacing my old rg59 with rg6....

18. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    SWM5 has no OTA input.
    Splitters need to pass up to 2150 MHz
    SWM is designed to work with RG-59 [but I'd guess not between the power inserter and the SWM]

19. hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001 Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2004
    Like this...

Attached Files:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.