SWM Question

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Tips and Resources' started by cdc101, Nov 30, 2008.

1. cdc101

cdc101 Godfather

Jan 8, 2007
    Hello,

I did try to search this out but with the overwhelming number of threads I just got a little confused...so I'll just ask the question and take the 'you should have searched better' flames. :)

I am looking to upgrade my system with a SWM. We are moving the Sammy into the bedroom and upgrading to the 67". My current system is straight from the Slimline to the living room without a multiswitch.

Of course I'll be buying a new HR2x for the new TV, but will need HD signal to the bedroom as well as the living room.

Question(s) is(are)...

Where is the best place to pick up a SWM for the HR2x with the Slimline?

I was planning on putting the SWM in the attic where there isn't a power source.

Does the SWM require a power source?

If so, do I have alternatives ('normal' multiswitch)?

Thanks in advance to any help!

2. Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson 6EQUJ5 WOW! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 24, 2007
    www.solidsignal.com

They have the SWM-8 and SWM LNB for your Slimline.

They both require a power source, the Power Inserter(PI).

I have my PI behind the cabinet housing my receivers.

The important part it the correct splitters. I use the Skywalker SKY23302D.

Mike

3. cdc101

cdc101 Godfather

Jan 8, 2007
    Excellent help, Mike.

Thank you!

4. cdc101

cdc101 Godfather

Jan 8, 2007
    On the Power Inserter...how is that hooked up? Inside the room where all the hardware is or up near the SWM?

5. bobnielsen

bobnielsen Éminence grise

Jun 29, 2006
    Bainbridge...
    I have my PI near one of my DVRs. It should be at least 15' from the SWM. The SWM has two outputs, so with two receivers you wouldn't need any splitters.

You could also run two cables to your bedroom and not use any multiswitch (there are four outputs on the LNB assembly.)

6. cdc101

cdc101 Godfather

Jan 8, 2007
    Thanks for the reply, Bob...and please excuse my denseness today (possibly still on turkey overload), but how does the power run from the PI up to the SWM?

Is it just a wire that I will need to feed up the wall along side one of my coax cables that run to the box...simple as that?

I did not know about the 4 outputs on the LNB assembly. I think for my app the SWM would be easier since the 2 lines from the LNB are already run and tucked away nicely.

7. carl6

carl6 Moderator Staff Member DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    The power goes over the coax itself. No additional wire is needed.

8. Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson 6EQUJ5 WOW! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 24, 2007
    The SWM-8 has two lines and supplies eight tuners.

The SWM-LNB for the dish has one line out to supply eight tuners.

The standard LNB for the Slimline has four lines our to supply four tuners.

Mine is connected like so:

Dish -> PI -> HR21.

The PI has two coax connections. One supplies power to the SWM module and the other passes the signal from the dish to the receiver.

You have to make sure the receiver is connected to the right port or you could damage the receiver. I have mine in my living room behind the entertainment center.

I guess what you need to figure out is if it's better to run another line for spend the money for SWM.

Mike