SWM setup sequence

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by ncsercs, May 18, 2009.

1. ncsercs

ncsercs AllStar

Oct 12, 2007
    Situation.....

Run cable from SWM LNB thru wall ---> PI (red) ---> PI (white) ---> cable ---> splitter (input red) ---> DVR1 (output red) and DVR2 (output white)

PI will be plugged into a wall outlet, DVR's will be plugged into a UPS

Also, what do you plug in first? The PI or DVR's? I'm guessing the PI.....

Is there a link to this info?

Thanks!

2. Koz

Koz Icon

Sep 16, 2006
    Definitely plug in the PI first.

3. mobandit

mobandit Hall Of Fame

Sep 4, 2007
    If possible, I'd also plug the PI into a UPS. I have mine plugged into a UPS, and have had absolutely zero problems. Been over a year since I installed it.

4. randyk47

randyk47 Icon

Aug 21, 2006
    San Antonio, TX
    I have my PI plugged into a UPS that became excess from my computer setup but ran it for quite awhile without that support. I actually was surprised, pleasantly I might add, that even without UPS support the whole system came back on line after power failures without a bit of trouble and that included a 4-hour outage with no resetting. If you've got an extra UPS I'd definitely use it but I'd not say you have to have one to the point where you need to buy one.

5. LameLefty

LameLefty I used to be a rocket scientist

Sep 28, 2006
    Middle...
    I'm in Randy's boat - no UPS on any of my equipment and no problems in 7 plus years of Directv service at this address. That includes use of a standalone SWM8 for the past 7 months. I have had one power outage in that time and after the power returned 20 minutes later, everything booted up just fine by itself.

Now, that said, if you live in an area prone to brownouts, surges and routine outtages, a UPS is probably worth it for peace of mind. Upon first boot, plug in the PI first and wait few moments, then boot up the boxes connected to it. They should realize they're connected to an SWM system and configure themselves appropriately. I was advised to boot up the boxes a few minutes apart, after the previous one had reached Step 1 of 2 in the boot sequence, so that's what I did. I don't know for sure that it's required but it will work fine after that if they boot up simultaneously.