1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Swm Splitter Question

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by fiendz666, Sep 10, 2018.

1. fiendz666

fiendz666 AllStar

Oct 6, 2006
    I tried calling DirecTV tech support regarding this but they gave me mixed answers.

My setup is as follows:
    Line coming in from dish to Swm power inserter into the Signal to IRD port

Coax from Power to Swm port on the power inserter to the input on a 4 way swm splitter

There are 4 lines connected to the outputs on the swm splitter.
    3 go to individual receivers
    1 goes into a 2 way Swm splitter (line coming from 4 way swm splitter to the input of the 2 way splitter)
    The output from the 2 way splitter (1 goes to a Deca and the other goes to an HD dvr)

I have another room upstairs I'm looking to add a tv and box to. There is a coax line in that room but I realized that it's not connected behind the wall.

My bedroom is across the hall from this room. I have a tv and dvr in my bedroom. After checking the cables for both rooms, it seems as though the coax from these 2 rooms were connected via a splitter at some point. It looks like the previous owner had cable.

Since the cable for this other room was disconnected from the old splitter, can I add a swm splitter to get a connection to both rooms?

My thought is to disconnect the line to my bedroom from the run to the basement 4 way swm splitter (they're connected with a union). Take the run from the basement and connect it to the input of an extra swm splitter a friend gave me. And connect the runs from the 2 rooms to the outputs of this splitter.

Would this work? Or would I need to run a new line to the basement for the room with the disconnected cable?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

2. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    Yes. Maybe. Depends on how many tuners you have and what LNB you have.
    If you do not exceed the number of tuners available there is no problem.
    If you de exceed then you will need to change to an LNB that supports more tuners.
    The SWM system allows you to use several splitters in the system.

3. fiendz666

fiendz666 AllStar

Oct 6, 2006
    Hi Jimmie,

Thanks for the quick response.

I currently have the following receivers:
    HR22
    HR24
    HR25
    HR34

I'm looking to add another dvr to the room mentioned in my previous post

How would I tell what LNB I have?

If I do have the correct LNB, I would be able to add the swm splitter without any issues?

Thanks,

Tom

4. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    On one of the HR2x receivers,
    Menu, Settings & Help, Settings, Info & Test, More System Info
    On the second page of Info, SWM CH Count:
    You currently are using 11 tuners

5. fiendz666

fiendz666 AllStar

Oct 6, 2006
    Will the SWM CH Count give me the max numbers of tuners it will allow?

6. WestDC

WestDC Well-Known Member

Feb 9, 2008
    You should be good to go - Depends on your LNB if it's a single down lead it should support 13 to 21 tuners -no problem

7. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    I think the SWM uses 1 of the number listed and all the rest are usable.
    The number could be the number of tuners you can use.
    Hopefully one of the installers on here will clarify this for both of us.

My system has 1 H24 and 1 HR24. That uses 3 tuners. My Info says SWM CH Count: 8.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2018
    H1awatha likes this.
  8. inkahauts

inkahauts Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2006
    Yes you can do it... but it has to be wired correctly.. key things... you do not want the new splitter on the line that is already split by the 4 way and the 2 way... or if you have all coax going back to one place you can use one 8 way splitter only for the entire setup..

9. fiendz666

fiendz666 AllStar

Oct 6, 2006
    I have a swm splitter. It has a swm in, 1 swm out and 7 other outputs.

If I use that splitter, would I be able to use a line coming off the 4 way splitter from the basement and connect the 2 upstairs boxes to the other outputs on the splitter?

Or are you saying that I would need to run a new line to the basement?

10. WestDC

WestDC Well-Known Member

Feb 9, 2008
    f I use that splitter, would I be able to use a line coming off the 4 way splitter from the basement and connect the 2 upstairs boxes to the other outputs on the splitter?

YES - Put the line coming out of the 4way (basement) Now - Connect that Rg6 to the single top of the 2 way splitter- and then run then connect the 2 up stairs rg6 to port 1 & 2

11. fiendz666

fiendz666 AllStar

Oct 6, 2006
    Thanks guys for your help!
    I'll let you know how it goes

WestDC likes this.
  12. inkahauts

inkahauts Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2006
    Wait.. I think there a confusion. Do not use a 8 way in a system with a four way as well.. can you write out what you are thinking?

A simple example...

Dish to pi
    Pi to 8 way splitter
    8 way splitter one line each to 4 DVRs... one line to bbdeca.

Or something similar...

13. HoTat2

HoTat2 Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2005
    Los...
    Yeah, reading this I thought the OP had a 2-way splitter he/she wanted to place on the coax homerun to the upstairs bedroom to connect the additional room for a new DVR and TV, which would work fine.

But then the OP decribed the splitter he/she had as what must be an 8-way.

So NO, don't connect an 8-way MSLIT on the coax run to the up-bedroom from the outlet of the 4-way root splitter in the basement.

Sent from my LG-H932 using Tapatalk

14. texasbrit

texasbrit Well-Known Member

Aug 9, 2006
    An 8 way splitter attached to an output from a 4 way creates the equivalent of a 32-way splitter. Too much!

15. H1awatha

H1awatha New Member

Aug 2, 2018
    Suprised your 34& 22still works! Sounds like an older setup that fortunately is operational. If you haven’t started already, you probably should leave alone

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk