SWM Temp Setup Question

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by housemr, May 10, 2016.

1. housemr

housemr Legend

Jun 3, 2009
    Starting tomorrow over the next few weeks i will be finishing my basement in the evening after work (drywall, new tiles, painting, trim, etc) but still want to be able to keep the other two tvs in the house working.

Current setup in the basement
    1. rg6 coaxial cable from wallplate to SWM Power Inserter
    2. rg6 coaxial cable from the SWM Power Inserter to the genie dvr
    3. SWM Power Inserter 120v pluged into the surge protector

Do i have to have the swm powered for the other boxes in the house to work? if that is the case can i eliminate the genie dvr being plugged in during this time or does that still need powered on also?

2. jwbeeler

jwbeeler Member

Oct 5, 2015
    United States
    Think of the Genie as a server, the other boxes can't get to programming without it. The SWiM needs to be powered, but not necessarily connected to a box.

3. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    If you unplug the SWM Power Inserter all of the TVs on the system will lose communication to the LNB on the dish.
    You can move it to where one of the TVs are located. However, this TV has to be hooked to the power passing port of a splitter.

4. housemr

housemr Legend

Jun 3, 2009
    So swm being powered by itself is not enough to get programming on the other boxes in the house (live tv)

5. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    E.Mdtrn Sea
    do you use separate SWiM switch or just DLNB with internal switch ?

6. housemr

housemr Legend

Jun 3, 2009
    i just have this outside by the dish and power inserter inside.

[​IMG]

7. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    The piece on the right in the pic you posted is a Power Inserter. If your other one looks like that you probably do not need it at all.
    Does the other one look like that ? Can you post a pic of what it looks like ? Maybe it is a Splitter ?

8. Beerstalker

Beerstalker Hall Of Fame

Feb 9, 2009
    Peoria, IL
    As the others have mentioned you have to have the power inserter plugged in or you won't get service on any of your TVs.

Whether or not you need the Genie plugged in depends on what receivers you have on the other TVs. If they are Genie Clients (C31, C41, C51, C61, etc) then you will have to have the genie plugged in and hooked up also. If they are HD-DVRs, HD Receivers, etc then you don't need to have the Genie plugged in or hooked up to coax. Another thing you need to realize is if the Genie is not plugged in or hooked up to coax it won't be recording anything either, so if you have a lot of shows that you record you may want to reconsider unplugging it. We may be able to help you out by giving instructions on how to move the Genie to a different room during the remodel.

9. lwilli201

lwilli201 Hall Of Fame

Dec 22, 2006
    Missouri
    Since you are remodeling, I would suggest that you replace your LNB with a Reverse Band (RB) unit and clean up all that wiring. This LNB supports 21 tuners and only requires a splitter for distribution to your TV's. The Genie can power this LNB but I prefer using a 21Volt inserter so that all TVs will work if the Genie is disconnected. Just connect the inserter to the power pass input on the splitter and you are in business. You will be ready for 4K or anything else that may show up on the RB.

10. Jodean

Jodean Icon

Jul 17, 2010
    21 tuners??

11. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    E.Mdtrn Sea
    see SWM-13 LNB thread; it was Gen1 DLNB supporting 13 tuners [FTA channels/ports] and last info about Gen2 DNLB with 21 tuners [ports]

12. bakers12

bakers12 ΔS > 0

May 29, 2007
    Chicago -...
    Not all Genies can power the LNB. Only HR54 and H44, I think.

13. lwilli201

lwilli201 Hall Of Fame

Dec 22, 2006
    Missouri
    Check out line 4 on attached picture. System Info on HR54-200 with latest CE.

Attached Files: