1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SWM to Single DVR

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by DeweySat, Aug 13, 2013.

1. DeweySat

DeweySat Legend

Aug 31, 2008
    Arizona
    My current setup with a SWM LNB at the dish is using an 8-way splitter and two DVR's. One HR-22 and one HR-24. I only have an 8-way splitter because it was a good buy. The power supply goes into the red terminal on the splitter.

In the next couple of days, I will be de-activating the two DVR's and replacing them with a Genie. My plan would be to take out the splitter and run the coax from the Genie through the power supply and out to the SWM LNB. However, I have been reading about some problems with coax length between the power supply and the receiver. A splitter is said to reduce the problem. Should I just leave the splitter in the line? It works just fine feeding the two current DVR's.

2. BobStokesbary

BobStokesbary Legend

Oct 24, 2010
    Well, your system seems to be running just fine with the wiring you have in place now. And it would only operate better by eliminating the splitter. (You are actually getting more signal loss with the 8-way splitter than you would with a 2-way one. But, none is better.) Since you only need one wire to your HR34 you would be much better served just connecting the SWM head directly to the red terminal on the PI and running the "to IRD" side to your HR34.

You are unclear about how long your coax run is from the SWM head to your HR34, but if you have a coax run over about 80 to 100 feet you may want to put the PI in-line within that distance. Most people do not have this problem however. So, I suspect you are good to go with just a straight wire.

3. DeweySat

DeweySat Legend

Aug 31, 2008
    Arizona
    Not sure, but probably less than 40-feet. Maybe half of that is under the house. Leaving out the splitter was my thought too, but then I read about these problems with having the PI too close (coax length) to the DVR. When I get the Genie I will take out the splitter and see how it goes. You can't believe how happy I was yesterday when I modified the dish to a SWM LNB and both DVR's came back on-line afterward. Had to go through the SWM setup, but I had both DVR's running great after the setup was complete. Next the Genie.

4. BobStokesbary

BobStokesbary Legend

Oct 24, 2010
    There are a lot of people who look for problems that just don't exist. Or they create them. Take this Solid Signal site. They say you need a 29v power inserter. That could cause a problem on a short run. You seem to be all setup correctly. Everything should work just fine.

5. DeweySat

DeweySat Legend

Aug 31, 2008
    Arizona
    I see what you mean. It was confusing to me too when I first started looking into getting a Genie, and knew that I needed to upgrade my Slimline dish to SWM. I finally figured out that the SWM LNB uses 21-volts, and the SWM8 multi-switch uses 29-volts. Having only one TV, I went with the LNB for simplicity. Of course now I have three extra coax going out to the dish, but you never know, I might need a spare! :)

6. studechip

studechip Godfather

Apr 16, 2012
    You can use a 29 volt PI with a swm lnb, but you can't use a 21 volt PI with a swm8/16.

7. peds48

peds48 Genius.

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    Well, your system seems to be running just fine with the wiring you have in place now. And it would only operate better by eliminating the splitter. (.
    This does not applies to all cases. in installations where the cable from the dish to the receiver is really short, a splitter is recommended as the signal from the LNB might be "too hot" for the receiver to handle

Sent from my iPad using DBSTalk