1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SWM16 install requires 2 wires to inside?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by LiQiCE, Aug 25, 2013.

1. LiQiCE

LiQiCE Mentor

Feb 13, 2006
    Northern...
    Hi - I'm in Northern Virginia (incase any good DTV installers are too!) :)

I currently have a SWM3 dish up on the roof, with a single cable coming down off the roof and then connecting to a single coax cable coming inside the house which then runs through a finished basement (in the ceiling) and into a box where all the coax cable collects.

DTV is coming out in a few weeks to install a SWM16 because I am getting a Genie and will be using 9 tuners.

Since there is only 1 cable going inside and adding a 2nd cable to go inside would require running it through finished space in the basement - am I in trouble - is there anything else I can do?

Also - since the dish has an integrated SWM8 and only 1 cable comes down off the roof, should the installer put the SWM16 up by the dish (so only 2 cables need to come down off the roof) - or should they run all 4 down so the SWM16 is down near the ground? Not sure which is the best solution.

I am thinking a solution may be to move the dish to the other side of the house and have them run 2 new cables inside the house, which is all unfinished space and wouldn't be too difficult to run 2 cables to the box.

If they do that - what should I ask the installer to do with the original dish and mount? Should I just have them leave it or should they remove it (and what should I ensure they do to make sure there is no leaking)? Obviously I'd prefer them to remove it, but I worry it could cause issues if they remove it.

On the other side of the house, which actually faces South-West I might be able to have them mount it on the side of the house instead of the roof - is that OK? Not sure if there will be issues because of a neighbor's tree so it may need to be on the roof regardless.

Sorry for all the questions, I know there are a lot of knowledgeable installers here and wanted to get your advice. Thanks so much for your help!

EDIT - Added Pictures!

This is where the coax comes into the house - you can see the small basement window in the background:
    IMG_1351.jpg

On the inside - the basement is finished, the coax should come in somewhere near the circuit breaker box:
    IMG_1366.jpg

Turning directly around, the coax runs to the room you can barely see on the left.
    IMG_1361.jpg

This is where the coax collects, including the one that goes outside, note the other small basement window in the background:
    IMG_1358.jpg

In this picture you can see where the dish is mounted, the single wire from the SWM-3 LNB runs down and towards the front of the house where it connects to the cable going inside. You can also see how wide the house is - so I don't know if running the coax all the way to the other side of the house would make sense.
    IMG_1353.jpg

Here is the other side of the house - note the small basement window - my only concern about this side is the neighbor's tree. The higher part of the roof maybe just fine but the lower part of the roof where it'd be preferable for easier access is probably blocked by that tree. Note the small basement window, that is the window that you see in the picture of where the coax collects - if I run 4 wires through that side, it'd be completely unfinished and relatively easy to run the coax over to where all the rest of the coax collects.
    IMG_1354.jpg

Here is a front view of the house - you can see the lower roof where the dish could go - but the tree is probably blocking LOS so it'd have to be on the higher part of the roof:
    IMG_1356.jpg

Let me know if there are any other pictures I could take to help!

Attached Files:

2. Doug Brott

Doug Brott Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Jul 12, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Pictures are always worth a thousand words ...

3. Drucifer

Drucifer Well-Known Member

Feb 12, 2009
    NY Hudson...
    The installer is going to be acceptable to what is easiest for him.

4. peds48

peds48 Genius.

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    It would be better for you (not the installer) to have the SWM16 in the central location (where you 8 way is currently located) so this means running 3 extra cables to inside the house. the upgrade DOES NOT include the relocation of the dish so you will have to pay a "relo" fee of $49.00

5. satinstallerguy

satinstallerguy Member

Apr 21, 2013
    Cleveland
    It doesn't matter where the Swm 16 goes , If he drops another line there is your second set of 8 tuners available............

SIG

6. Grydlok

Grydlok Icon

Mar 31, 2007
    Those are some tall homes in Nova. How is the line of sight from that side of the home?

7. peds48

peds48 Genius.

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    Well it does kind of matter. 4 lines is all the TS will ever need (unless international gets installed). So why not do it right, now. If the TS exceed 16 tuners they will need another 8 or 16 which then will need power passing splitters, another coax inside and so on....

8. LiQiCE

LiQiCE Mentor

Feb 13, 2006
    Northern...
    Yeah I totally agree - unfortunately it is dark out now and I'm away on business for a few days, but when I get back I'll take some pictures.

Gotcha - problem is that where the 1 cable comes into the house now, there is no way to run an additional 3 lines easily since it is in a finished part of the house and the rest of the coax cable (to connect it to the receivers) is on the other side of the house. So I may be stuck paying the $50 relo fee to move the dish to the other side of the house and see if he'll run 4 cables into the house. I guess I should have thought of all this when the installer came out the first time 2 years ago.

My house faces west and the dish is currently on the north east side - but it is pretty high up there so it has decent line of sight I guess? I unfortunately don't know much about installs. I do get rain fade when a thunderstorm rolls through (seems like in the summer that can happen almost daily). On the other side of the house, it would be facing south west which I think would be better since the dish needs to point southwest.

I guess basically there is no way around needing 2 wires (minimum) going inside the house to support the SWM16, the maximum tuners a single cable can carry is 8 right?

Starting to wonder if I really need that 9th tuner :)

9. peds48

peds48 Genius.

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    Yup, correct

10. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    [This may sound a great deal like a bit from Monty Python and The Holy Grail regarding the use of the Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch, but here goes.]

You MUST have four RG6 cables running from the Slimline dish to the SWiM switch. Not one, two nor three but four cables. Reasoning that it could, should or must be otherwise will not alter this requirement.

From there, there must be two cables coming into the home to support an SWM16. They don't have to come into the house the same way but they do need to find their way from the SWM16 to the receivers that they will serve.

11. inkahauts

inkahauts Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2006
    You don't say, what is the receiver system you plan on ending up with, a genie and what else? And what is your exact receiver setup now?

12. satinstallerguy

satinstallerguy Member

Apr 21, 2013
    Cleveland
    The odds of him having 16 tuners in a residential system is off the charts so , no it doesn't matter. Not to mention he said he has a finsihed ceiling where he needs to run it. Running 2 lines down to 2 8 way swm splitters is sufficient.............. Doing it right is a matter of opinion. They are designed to work outside and as long as the dish is grounded, I have no problem with it.

SIG

13. inkahauts

inkahauts Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2006
    The odds of him having 16 tuners in a residential system is off the charts so , no it doesn't matter. Not to mention he said he has a finsihed ceiling where he needs to run it. Running 2 lines down to 2 8 way swm splitters is sufficient.............. Doing it right is a matter of opinion. They are designed to work outside and as long as the dish is grounded, I have no problem with it.

SIG

Well anything over 9 is the same as up to 16 so that's a wash its easy to hit 9 for many.

I'd never use an 8 way splitter unless absolutely necessary. Just sayin.

I agree the swim16 is as good outside as it is on the inside. personally I prefer using the dedicate power port on it for power which would push it to three lines but he doesn't have to do that obviously.

I'd have no issue mounting it outside either but I really want to know what he's got in his system and going to there might be a better way to set it up and stay with 8 tuners.

Sent from my iPhone using DBSTalk mobile app

14. peds48

peds48 Genius.

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    of the charts??? at some point and time DirecTV will be allowing 2 (or more?) Genies on one account. so it would very easy to go over 16 tuners. and both the dish and switch (if used as a bonded device) must be grounded

15. LiQiCE

LiQiCE Mentor

Feb 13, 2006
    Northern...
    Sorry - I currently have 3xHR23-700's, 1xHR24-500 for a total of 8 tuners. I plan to add a Genie (HR44-700) but get rid of 2xHR23-700's. So my final configuration will be 1xHR24-500, 1xHR23-700, 1xHR44-700 for a total of 9 tuners.

I know I could configure one of the HR2x's to a single tuner instead of using 2 tuners, which might be an option rather than moving to a SWM16 - although to peds48's point if I wanted to add anything else, I'd be stuck.

Once I get back I'll take pictures and see what people think. Looking at my house, the southwest side might not be a good option because of a neighbor's tree that is very tall.

The hardest thing for me is that all of the coax cable in the house run to the same room in the basement, and from the place where the dish is now - there is no easy way to get the coax inside the house and to the box where the coax is. Snaking it around the house to get to an area where it can go inside the house would mean that it would take a ton of coax cable and probably degrade the signal a lot for 8 of the tuners.

16. carl6

carl6 Moderator Staff Member DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    An option to consider would be to feed 8 of your tuners from the common inside point off one side of an SWM16, but feed new points (the easiest to wire to) from a splitter outside the house with outside wiring. A mix of the two approaches. Would that work for one of the HR2x units that will remain in your system? If so, you would end up with 7 tuners being fed by the inside point, and two tuners (one DVR) being fed by separate wiring.

17. WestDC

WestDC Well-Known Member

Feb 9, 2008
    Why Not -Just have the installer- Change the LNB -Run 4 rg6 to the far side of the house and the run 4 leads to the Basement cable box -Mount the swm16 and be done with it. Or Look at The Way the Current dish is facing could a "new" dish be pole mounted on the unfinished side of the house? in the direction the dish is facing now?

The cable rg6 dual with ground and one dual without could be attached with tie wraps to your roof attic vent (Ridge) The current dish can be removed -he will leave the foot plate in place -removing it would cause leaks.

I wouls suggest you get it all installed inside if possible it can be done outside -but weather (over) time will be an issue at some point in the future,

"I am thinking a solution may be to move the dish to the other side of the house and have them run 2 new cables inside the house, which is all unfinished space and wouldn't be too difficult to run 2 cables to the box"

If 2 can be done 4 should be no problem..

18. Old_School

Old_School Legend

Nov 28, 2011
    PA
    Exactly my thoughts... that's why i have a SWM16 in my system with only 8 tuners. Once Directv starts allowing multiple Genies on one account my HR24 will be upgraded to a Genie. Who knows what Directv or Dish for that matter will come out with in the future.. heck, maybe the HR1034 will have 15 tuners... !rolling

19. peds48

peds48 Genius.

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    Right on!

20. Tisby

Tisby AllStar

Jun 4, 2010
    There is a need to keep the SWM16 balanced though. 7 tuners on one side & 2 on the other will lead to problems down the road.