1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SWM8 Question

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by dwr11, Feb 12, 2009.

Tags:
  1. dwr11

dwr11 Mentor

Jan 14, 2008
    I currently have the following receivers:

HR20-700
    H21
    H20-600 (which just died)
    An older non HD receiver.

In talking with DTV I decided to upgrade to an HR2* for the H20 that just died. My first question is will I need a SWM8? If so, will I need to pay for it or is it part of the install? Will the installer have this with him? I had to pay around $125.00 for the upgraded receiver. Thanks in advance and I apologize if I am posting a question that has been asked before. In searching post I couldn't find my answer.

2. miketorse

miketorse Icon

Jul 29, 2008
    D* doesn't install the SWM-8 to residential customers. Ugrading to the HR2* from a H20 includes installation that includes running an additional second cable to the location of your new HR*.

If you really wanted a SWM-8 solution, you would need to buy one on your own and either 1) convince the installer to install it for you, or 2) install it yourself, which isn't too bad. It's not *too* complicated.

3. dwr11

dwr11 Mentor

Jan 14, 2008
    Thanks for the quick response!!

4. randyk47

randyk47 Icon

Aug 21, 2006
    San Antonio, TX
    I'd agree with the SWM-8 solution. You can support up to eight tuners on the SWM side which is more than enough since you've got a total of 5 tuners on that side. There are also three legacy outputs on the SWM-8 for your older, non-HD receiver. As Mike said it's pretty easy to install, maybe took me 30-40 minutes from the time I pulled down my receivers until I finished the SWM-8 install and brought all the receivers back up.

5. dwr11

dwr11 Mentor

Jan 14, 2008
    Okay, thanks for the reply. If I am understanding this correctly, the 4 lines out of my dish go in to the SWM8. One line will go out of a legacy 1 on the SWM8 to my old receiver. One line will go out of the SWM8 labeled SWM1/PWR to the SWM on the power supply. Then a line out of the power supply labeled IRD to the red in on the switch. Then use the out's on the switch to go to my receivers. Is this correct? I know I can't use the B-Band converters. Do I need to do or know anything else - either with the receivers or anything? I am bad with this stuff so I appreciate all the help!!

6. randyk47

randyk47 Icon

Aug 21, 2006
    San Antonio, TX
  7. doctrsnoop

doctrsnoop Godfather

Nov 20, 2007
    Just so you know, you don't HAVE to do this, you can just plug the HR2x in and replace it -BUT you just won't have the ability to use two tuners unless you either run a second line or do the SWM8 thing. So you could just do it at some future point

8. dwr11

dwr11 Mentor

Jan 14, 2008
    Okay, thank you. So what you are saying is I would have to watch what I was recording but the receiver would work if that didn't matter.

9. doctrsnoop

doctrsnoop Godfather

Nov 20, 2007
    Or watch something you had recorded previously, but basically yes - have to watch what you're recording.

10. evan_s

evan_s Hall Of Fame

Mar 3, 2008
    Or play back something already recorded and would only be able to record 1 show at a time.