SWM8 = Room To Grow!

Discussion in 'DIRECTV - Special Request Legacy Items (private)' started by Alan Gordon, Oct 21, 2008.

1. Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon Chancellor

Jun 7, 2004
    Dawson, Georgia
    Since one isn't required, I'm not going to do a First Look Report. Not because I don't want to, but rather that there simply isn't much to tell at this point.

Currently, I have four receivers activated on my account. One is an HR20-700, one is an HR10-250 (DirecTV HD-TiVo), and the other two are DirecTiVos (SD)... meaning that I only have ONE SWM compatible receiver... with the other three units being Legacy receivers. I am fixing to deactivate one of the DirecTiVo's as I kept activated intending on burning some of the programs to DVD, and I've just gotten tired of paying the $5 extra a month for something which I never use. However, I'm also fixing to activate an old RCA SD STB for a relative staying with us... so while the number of tuners being used will go down, the amount of legacy receivers will stay the same.

Last year, when the installer came with my HR20-700 and installed my SlimLine, I had MOST of the work already done... ready for him to hook it up. The only thing I didn't do was to move the two lines going to one of the DirecTiVos over to the new multiswitch... as I had nothing to hook it up to until after he installed the dish, and quite frankly, I wanted to run them myself as I had work I wanted to do under the house, so I left my Phase III dish up with two TiVo's hooked up to it, and my HR20-700 and HR10-250 hooked up to the SlimLine. Unfortunately, things kept popping up and I STILL have yet to swap the other receivers to the new dish (which may be a good thing as I think one or two of my outputs on the multiswitch may be going bad), and I can't really do it at this time.

So, last Thursday (YAY!!), I had some time, some decent weather, and the energy to hook up my SWM. My setup was actually fairly simple since I was (at this time) only hooking up the HR20-700 and HR10-250... with the intention of adding the multiswitch to the mix around the first of the year... though I will most likely be adding the legacy SD STB to the SWM this week. Here's my setup at this time:

SlimLine (AU9-S) ----> SWM
    SWM (Legacy Outputs) ------> HR10-250
    SWM ------> PI
    PI -----> HR20-700

My installation ran without a hitch... until I got to the HR10-250. I plugged in the lines and I went inside and Input 1 was working fine... but it couldn't find Input #2, so I went outside to look if I got the wrong line. I didn't think so, but I decided to try the ONLY other line it could be... so I plugged it into legacy output #3, so I wouldn't have to disconnect the other line until I verified it WASN'T the right line. This time it worked, so I apparently had the wrong line plugged in.

I have a CM4228 outdoor antenna, but I have a dedicated line for it to my HR20, and it diplexed into a line from the Phase III to a DirecTiVo which I will have to do differently once I move everything over to the new dish.

I did not bother to take pictures as everything is a big jumbled mess, and will remain so until I can get out and bring the other lines over to this section of the house (the Phase III is on the other side of the house from the SlimLine).

However, I did want to take the time to let everyone know my installation went well and to thank DirecTV for the SWM.

As for my thread title, well, it remains to be seen how long I'll have my "legacy" receivers. A lot depends on what happens. I'm still hoping for HD-LIL (and SD-LIL)... which would certainly speed up the transition, I'm looking at upgrading a couple of TVs to HD... which would make a new HD DVR an attractive option... as well as interest in the new TiVo's next year.

Either way, now I have some more room to grow! :)

~Alan

2. Grentz

Grentz New Member

Jan 10, 2007
    Very nice, glad you are up and running.

Now you just need to get some more HR2x receivers :p

Once I my SWM comes and I get things going I plan on adding another myself ;)

3. LameLefty

LameLefty I used to be a rocket scientist

Sep 28, 2006
    Middle...
    Congratulations, Alan! :goodjob:

Adding the SWM8 to my setup gave me tons of room to grow as well - one of its great advantages in many situations. And having now done the legwork to run my WB68 in parallel with the new SWM8, I'm "future proofed" even as far as someday perhaps replacing that WB68 with another SWM for single-line dual-tuner boxes. :)

In the meantime, I can still add another SWM-compatible HR2x, though I'm holding out at this point; I still hope Directv enables HD capabilities on the R22, in which case I'm gonna buy a nice cheap 32 - 30" LCD for the bedroom to replace my dinosaur Sony Trinitron. :D

4. Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon Chancellor

Jun 7, 2004
    Dawson, Georgia
    Thanks for the congratulations everyone! :)

I'm going back to my thread here to update everyone on some changes.

I've mentioned elsewhere that I intended on deactivating ONE of my DirecTiVos (SD) and activating an old RCA (SD) STB on my account. The reason why I intended on activating an old RCA STB on my account instead of just using the TiVo, is because we have a relative staying with us who is "handicapped" and has no interest in a DVR.

After we had issues with the RCA STB we were going to activate, we simply decided to get an H21 since it wasn't much more expensive than the SD-STB, and it would be ready to go should DirecTV ever get around to providing HD (or SD) LIL to my area. However, this H21 receiver will NOT be downloading the CEs or be used to test MRV at all.

Setting it up tended to be more difficult than I expected.

Before I purchased the H21, I moved the RG-6 (already ran) from the Phase III dish to the SWM connected to the SlimLine dish.

After unpacking the box, I first unplugged the line coming from the SWM to my HR20-700 and plugged it in to the H21 to set-up and activate the H21. My reason for doing this was because I wanted to set-up the H21 where I could relax in the recliner (instead of doing it in the other room where there's not really a good place to sit). This all went swimmingly. However, when I transferred the H21 to the other room, I was getting no signal at all. I could not figure out (at all) why I wasn't getting a signal. Hoping for ANY signal, I tried plugging the unit into the 3rd Legacy output on the SWM, but even that didn't give me a signal. I couldn't figure it out at all. Finally, I realized that when I was moving the cable from the Phase III dish to the SWM, the cable developed a knot in it... causing it to not receive a signal. Thankfully, I had a LARGE amount of leftover cable as the Phase III dish was MUCH FARTHER away from the receiver than the SWM, so I cut the excess, and everything started working fine... for the H21 receiver that is.

Unfortunately, now my HR20-700 is not getting a signal! I have no idea why, as it was working fine just a minute ago. I restart the HR20, I restart the SWM, I try this in MULTIPLE orders, in sync with each other, etc. Nothing works, yet the H21 is working fine with the SWM each time! Finally, I just try unplugging the HR20 for SEVERAL minutes this time, and when it restarted, everything worked just fine... and has since!

I wasn't sure if this was an issue with the SWM (it didn't appear to be since the H21 kept working fine), the HR20-700, the CE or what, so I sent a report to send to DirecTV while I had some free time, but before I could report it (the next day...or whatever), the issues with that CE had been closed, so I didn't report it on here. For the record, the CE report was CE Report #20081106-2026.

As I said, everything with the SWM8 has been working great, save for this one experience which drove me batty, and I doubt any of my problems were caused by the SWM, but rather just some bad luck.

~Alan

5. Spanky_Partain

Spanky_Partain Active Member

Dec 7, 2006
    Awesome, another happy camper!

6. LameLefty

LameLefty I used to be a rocket scientist

Sep 28, 2006
    Middle...
    Glad you got things sorted out. :) Mine has been utterly and completely flawless for nearly 4 weeks (as of tomorrow). Just about the easiest thing I've ever tested - this tech is awesome for simplicity and flexibility.