1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SyFy May Be Jumping the Shark..

Discussion in 'TV Show Talk' started by LarryFlowers, Mar 17, 2010.

1. LarryFlowers

LarryFlowers New Member

Sep 22, 2006
    So to speak:

Overheard Conversation..

SyFy President Dave Howe: Hey guys.. I got $5 here, cold cash... who wants to make a SyFy Saturday night Movie?

Movies in production:
    Mega Piranha
    Mongolian Death Worm
    Stonehenge Apocalypse
    Scream of the Banshee
    The Lost Future
    Witchville
    Mothman
    Morlocks
    8th Voyage of Sinbad
    Lake Placid 3

..and lest we forget "Sharktopus".

As a crowning capper for this "amazing" news, how could the SyFy channel be complete without a cooking reality show with Marcel Vigneron of Bravo's "Top Chef" called "Marcel's Quantum Kitchen".

Maybe Marcel will show us all how to prepare a Mongolian Death Worm.

To think, in 1994, the SciFi channel was the reason I switched to DirecTV..

:nono2: <sob>

2. phrelin

phrelin Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    !rolling

Sorry to laugh at your pain.;)

3. tsmacro

tsmacro Hall Of Fame

Apr 28, 2005
    East...
    Apparantly you haven't tuned into Syfy (or SciFi) on a Saturday night in a looooooong time then. Because it's a saturday night tradition that they play really cheaply made mostly very bad movies. Apparently there's some kind of audience for them (all I can imagine is there's people out there that pine nostalgic for campy 50's sci-fi and horror movies and these Syfy saturday movies are meant resemble them I don't know?). Anyway yeah saturday nights have on Syfy have looked like that for many, many years so if that's your reason for thinking the channel has jumped the shark then said jump occurred a long time ago.....

4. Henry

Henry Retired Member

Nov 15, 2007
    Pine, CO
    I guess you gotta take the good (SGU, Caprica, Warehouse 13, etc.) with the bad (what you listed). :rolleyes:

5. Charise

Charise AllStar/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Jan 25, 2004
    Siffy is down to SGU, Eureka, and Warehouse 13 for me.

I wouldn't care what channel Marcel was on, I would never watch him--couldn't stand him on Top Chef, so I definitely won't watch his series!!

6. Jason Whiddon

Jason Whiddon Hall Of Fame

Aug 17, 2006
    Their normal movies SUCK. I only record the more involved stuff like Alice. The way I've seen it for several years.

Im interested in Riverworld.

7. SayWhat?

SayWhat? Know Nothing

Jun 6, 2009
    See, I don't mind the old "B" movies like "The Day of The Triffids". It's some of the new stuff with no acting that are all CG that I can't stand. If they'd run the old stuff, Great!!

Weekdays have been a bit odd. They run some new(er) series and some old ones and every week is different.

8. LarryFlowers

LarryFlowers New Member

Sep 22, 2006
    I have been well aware of the steady decline in the level of the Saturday night movies. I would love to see them actually run 50's era scifi movies.. they would be better than this drivel.

I can actually peg when the channel "jumped the shark" or perhaps the shark jumped the channel... when the megashark in "Mega Shark vs Octopus" leapt from the ocean and seized the airliner in mid-air!

I'd rather watch Plan 9 From Outer Space.

9. RunnerFL

RunnerFL Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2006
    All I watch on Siffy anymore is Destination Truth, Eureka and Warehouse 13. All of which have been on hiatus now for a while so I guess I'm watching nothing from Siffy. :lol:

10. tsmacro

tsmacro Hall Of Fame

Apr 28, 2005
    East...
    +1!

11. russ9

russ9 Godfather

Jan 28, 2004
    Though I watch a most (or all) of the new scripted shows, not to mention some old favorites, I have never, watched the Saturday night drek. As for jumping the shark, the channel officially did that when the put on pro wrestling.

12. phrelin

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    +1

And I remind myself that Syfy is always going to have a limited audience which means a limited budget. There is scifi content mixed into the offerings of the broadcast networks and premium movie channels which means that Syfy is always going to struggle for money and audience.

To me it is very telling that the premium channels offer only two channels oriented to science fiction (in it's broadest sense) movie content. And between the two satellite providers there is only one of those offered - Showtime Beyond - which is offered in SD by Dish and apparently isn't offered by DirecTV at all. Neither offers outerMAX.

That says a lot about the perceived potential audience size for a channel dedicated to Syfy's supposed target programming. Showtime Beyond is described by Showtime as follows:
    OuterMax is described by Cinemax as follows:
    We satellite folks can't get either in HD. On the other hand, Encore, which offers channels dedicated to westerns, mysteries, and love, chose not to offer anything for the scifi audience. And Encore channels abound on satellite offerings.

Heck, NBCU which owns Syfy also offers Chiller which I guess means that the horror crowd is large enough for its own channel but which potentially pulls horror fans away from Syfy.

There is a very good piece on Wikipedia Science fiction on television which discusses at length the whole subject. In that piece is a subheading Science fiction television economics and distribution which says:
    Let's face it. We fans of scifi insist on content using the latest big budget technology and still frequently criticize how effectively it is used. Many of us resist any deep character development, preferring action. Much like action movies, that precludes developing a broader audience.

So what I see is complaints about "Caprica" being tedious and slow when, IMHO, it is an almost novel-like, extremely well-written, totally character-oriented, long overarching story arc running from the pilot to whenever Syfy drops it (which likely will be the end of the second season, so they need to speed things up). By definition, such a show is tedious and slow if you are primarily looking for action.

As with "Stargate Universe" it is an attempt to attract a broader audience than "SG-1" and "Atlantis." Based on my wife's reaction, "Caprica" will fail over the long term to achieve drawing in more women outside the 18-29 demo and I have no idea how well they're doing with that demo when compared to "SG-1" but I suspect it's about the same.

Perhaps in the end, one needs to ask most of Syfy's core audience if they would disappear should Syfy cost $3 a month to subscribe to it, to supplement advertising revenue in order to fund a broader range scifi programming?

Or in the end are we in the base of Syfy's potential audience (1) so generally qualified to join the Nerd Herd and (2) so cheap that for scifi video content BitTorrent is source #1, Blu-ray is a distant source #2, and subscription TV a rejected afterthought?

13. machavez00

machavez00 Hall Of Fame

Nov 2, 2006
    Phoenix,...
    it reminds me of the time when USA had "Kung Fu Theater" on Saturday mornings.

14. tsmacro

tsmacro Hall Of Fame

Apr 28, 2005
    East...
    You might be being a little overly-harsh on a channel that's always rated in the top 20 among cable/satellite channels, for that matter it's not all that unusual for it to be in the top 10 and on a good week can even jump up into the top 5. I think the biggest thing about the saturday night movies is that I think they've figured out about how much of an audience they can expect on a saturday night and they've figured out a way to entertain that audience for as little as possible, so why would they spend more since it's not likely to have that big an impact on how many people who would watch anyway? There's plenty of things to gripe about regarding Syfy but it's actually closer to being one of the heavyweights of the satellite/cable channel world than one of the marginal channels when it comes to ratings, so I don't think the reason for the cheap movies on saturdays is because they're a struggling little niche channel. For that to be true they'd really have to be a true Science Fiction channel!

15. Galaxie6411

Galaxie6411 Icon

Aug 26, 2007
    Since they seem so obsessed making these crap movies for Saturday's they might as well put the MST3K crew back together and at least make their junk movies watchable with MST3K making fun of them. Or they could just rerun MST3K like they used to years ago.

16. RasputinAXP

RasputinAXP Kwisatz Haderach of Cordcuttery

Jan 23, 2008
    Personally for me, Syfy jumped the shark with the goofy name change.

17. phrelin

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    Now I would watch that!:D

18. bicker1

bicker1 Hall Of Fame

Oct 21, 2007
    We're watching a lot more Syfy than before. Caprica is utterly excellent. My wife goes on and on after each episode just how impressed she is with the show (and I like it too). Warehouse 13 and Eureka are also excellent shows, and Sanctuary is good as well. We haven't seen Stargate Universe, yet, but it surely must be better than Stargate Atlantis.

Going back before these shows, the only shows on the network that I would consider notable were Battlestar Galactica, Farscape, and Stargate SG-1. Andromeda and The Dresden Files were real snoozers, and Charlie Jade doubly-so. Flash Gordon and Sarah Jane Adventures were certifiably painful to watch, and Lexx was not much better, though for different reasons. Sliders, Painkiller Jane and First Wave were okay, but on-par with Sanctuary IMHO.

So, effectively, while there were good series on the network in the past, there hasn't been a time when there were as many good series on the network all at the same time, as far as my wife and I are concerned. They've really turned the network around to our way of thinking, and are now providing the kind of programming that we've wanted them to provide.

And it doesn't stop there. This summer, they're bringing Stephen King's Colorado Kid to television (series name Haven). With the production team from USA's The Dead Zone on-board, I think that could end up being yet-another favorite.

19. B Newt

B Newt Icon

Aug 12, 2007
    I liked the day of the triffids. I would like to see " The Tingler " again.

20. djlong

djlong Hall Of Fame

Jul 8, 2002
    New Hampshire
    Bicker - there's an interesting theme in your list of shows.

All the recent ones you list are SFC productions. Though I submit that SG-U is *IMO* god-awful compared to SG-A. Again, IMO, the entire series is a festival of "oh boo-hoo" moments. They kill off characters with situations that even *children* watching the show had figured out how to solve.

As you went further back, you mentioned Galactica (original SFC), Farscape (bought by SFC but a Henson production) and SG-1 (originally on Showtime and an MGM production). All good shows.

Going further back, Andromeda was actually a syndicated show so they had no control over that. Dresden? Well, I liked it but that's personal preference. Flash Gordon was.. Well, let's say I agree with you. Sarah Jane was a kid's Doctor Who spinoff from the BBC so don't judge it by the same standards as, say, Galactica.

Sliders was a Fox show that was gutted by the time it went to SFC. Lexx was, well.. I don't think anyone tuned into Lexx for the writing or drama.

*On the whole* I'd say they're getting better DESPITE the fact that parts of their schedule are falling down a black hole. I don't have to watch those crappy Saturday night "movies" (one might think they're film-school student projects) but it the low budgets there allow them to keep putting out Caprica, Eureka and Warehouse 13 - then go right ahead.