System Test won't complete satellite check

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by JerryMeeker, Feb 28, 2020.

1. JerryMeeker

JerryMeeker Legend

Sep 20, 2007
    Austin, Texas
    I noticed yesterday when viewing two recorded programs (ABC, Grey's Anatomy and A Million Little Things) that there were excessive incidents where the picture would break up (pixelation). Since this is unusual, I ran a System Test on my HR24. The test completed with the error shown below (the first failed test not shown in the pic was a no dial tone error because the HR24 isn't connected to my land line).

IMG_0709.jpg

Since I have never received this error before, I decided to run the System Test from my HR54-500. This time, the test hung at 84% and would not complete (I left it running for 20 minutes).

IMG_0708.jpg

I rebooted the HR54, ran the System Test a second time, and it still did not complete. Finally, I checked the satellite signal strength, and I am seeing consistent readings of 95% or higher. The local ABC station is on satellite 99s, TPN 17, which is showing 100%.

IMG_0710.jpg

The troubleshooting section of the DTV web site has no information on this error code.

Error code.PNG

Anyone have any advice on how to resolve this issue?

2. WestDC

WestDC Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

Feb 9, 2008
    Is That They ONLY Receiver Your Seeing this issue on? if SO - I would think you should look at replacing the receiver -if that is the case!

3. thebigeazy

thebigeazy Cool Member

May 12, 2006
    South Louisiana
    I ran a system test last week on my HR54, with the same result 84%. Directv tech couldn't fix it remotely after several tries, so just left it alone.

4. JerryMeeker

JerryMeeker Legend

Sep 20, 2007
    Austin, Texas
    You may have missed it. I said in my original post that I tried on both an HR24 and an HR54. Different results, but in both cases, the satellite check would not complete.

5. JerryMeeker

JerryMeeker Legend

Sep 20, 2007
    Austin, Texas
    Interesting. Maybe the HR54 issue has something to do with its current software level (0x12e5). I’ll give DTV Support a chance to explain what is going on.

6. WestDC

Feb 9, 2008
    Yes -I did Miss that -- You May Have a LNB Issue or Water Damage on outside connectors? _
    Dish alignment test not ran during
    installation verification.

It's Not Getting a Handshake from the LNB

7. JerryMeeker

JerryMeeker Legend

Sep 20, 2007
    Austin, Texas
    I don’t find any information on the DTV site for the error code I am getting. Where did you find that? I have a spare LNB, so I could swap out the LNB if you think that would help. If the LNB is bad, I wonder why I am not seeing more issues, other than the pixelation on ABC yesterday.

8. JerryMeeker

JerryMeeker Legend

Sep 20, 2007
    Austin, Texas
    OK, I swapped out the LNB and the issue persists. I called DTV Service and was escalated to a second-level support person who walked me through the problem. He did a system refresh on his end (I probably could have done this my self, but couldn’t find the link on the web site), and now the System Test is completing properly, with all systems OK. Back to regular programming now...

9. WestDC

Feb 9, 2008
    Glad you got it resolved -sorry I sent you on a wild goose chase -But remember I can't see your system from here -LOL!

I saved this link a long time ago:
    Diagnostic / Error Codes & Solutions

10. JerryMeeker

JerryMeeker Legend

Sep 20, 2007
    Austin, Texas
    Not at all, I don’t consider it a wild goose chase at all. Swapping out an LNB is actually quite simple and takes about 5 minutes in my setup. It was definitely worth a try. I always appreciate good advice.

WestDC likes this.