T-Mobile’s TVision Relaunch.....

Discussion in 'Internet Streaming Services' started by harperhometheater, Oct 27, 2020.

1. harperhometheater

harperhometheater Legend

Aug 30, 2012
    NashGuy likes this.
  2. techguy88

techguy88 Well-Known Member

Mar 19, 2015
    Dongle specs are identical to TiVo Stream 4K dongle and is made by the same manufacture SEI Robotics.

You have the option to get one of the "Live" packages only, "Vibe" only or both. Both package groups will allow you to subscribe to premiums dubbed "TVision Channels."

Rollout - T-Mobile Customers November 1, 2020 / Legacy Sprint - Late November 2020 / Non-T-Mobile Customers - 2021

Missing CBS nationwide, most pro sports, Legacy CBS cable properties, A+E Networks, Pac-12 Network and all RSNs except for NBC Regional Sports Networks.

So... if you have to have Sinclair RSNs but do not care/want/need NFL Network & NFL RedZone you can get TVision Vibe for just $10/mo to fill in the channel gaps AT&T TV Now Max lacks except for A+E Networks.

TVision.jpg

armchair and harperhometheater like this.
  3. harperhometheater

harperhometheater Legend

Aug 30, 2012
    So it looks like if you sign up for live zone at $60 per month plus vibe at an extra $10 a month then you’ll get all the channels. I was thinking that vibe was a totally separate service? Will they all integrate into the same guide and app?

4. techguy88

Mar 19, 2015
    Vibe, Live & Channels are all housed within the T-Vision app. They demoed this briefly during the 18 minute video starting at 10:30 in.

A screen within the TVision app showing "Live", "Vibe" and the TVision Channels add-ons (Showtime, Starz, Epix.)

TVision1.jpg

The Guide will have channel numbers akin to AT&T TV device. In fact the Guide layout does remind me a little of AT&T TV/TV Now except Blue was replaced with Magenta. o_O

TVision3.jpg
    TVision4.jpg

The Android TV Home Screen is slightly modified to fit into the style of the TVision app (again more Magenta :confused:) Although I do like it lol.

TVision2.jpg

harperhometheater likes this.
  5. techguy88

Mar 19, 2015
    Something to note here as well the Starz, Showtime & Epix add-ons from TVision include all their multi-plex channels. Starz has all Starz & Starz Encore channels, Showtime has all the Showtime branded channels. Both of those come with East/West feeds of those channels. Epix includes the East feeds of all 4 Epix channels (including Epix Drive-In.)

So someone potentially coming from Hulu + Live TV for their RSNs can get the majority of channels from Hulu + Live TV plus more (like the Viacom channels, Cinemax & HBO Max via AT&T TV Now Max at $80/mo) and TVision Vibe can fill in the AMC & Discovery gaps for an extra $10/mo. In total $90/mo for both. (AT&T really should add a WatchTV / Vibe style add-on to AT&T TV Now.)

6. lparsons21

lparsons21 Hall Of Fame

Mar 4, 2006
    Herrin, IL
    Pretty interesting.

In my case I could do Vibe for the entertainment stuff for the bulk of a year, kick it up during football season and use my OTA DVR for my locals and save significant money.
    Of course there would be my usuals like Hulu, Netflix and so forth of ones I kick on and off to binge watch. And Amazon Prime which for me is basically a freebie as I would have it regardless of video.
    I wonder if they will have an app for the usual suspects in streaming boxes?

7. techguy88

Mar 19, 2015
    Apple TV, Android TV/Google TV & Amazon Fire TV will be supported. No Roku support. In one of the videos they mentioned doing a year of Apple TV+ and having a rebate program set up so an Apple TV 4K is only $99 after rebate.

8. techguy88

Mar 19, 2015
    Judging by that guide they will have mostly east feeds since their HQ is on the Pacific Coast and CNN's primetime schedule is showing Anderson Cooper at 5PM and Cuomo at 6PM which would translate to 8 and 9 PM ET

9. Davenlr

Davenlr Geek til I die

Sep 16, 2006
    How many services are we going to end up with before someone allows you to pick 10 channels for $20 or something like that? These are no different than cable, except the overhead of unlimited internet service to use them.

10. techguy88

Mar 19, 2015
    Well all the current live OTT services need to die and at least 1,000 more need to take their place in the wasteland of pay television. Once all possible bridges have been burned and the consumer has completely moved on then as a last stretch attempt they will let you pick 8-10 channels for $20/mo but they will maximize this by having DVR & on demand for those 8-10 channels cost $10 more/mo (I'm joking but seriously this is a possible scenario.)

11. inkahauts

inkahauts Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2006
    The first traditional provider to be able to get a contract like that will cause a wave of change for all avenues. I don’t see it coming to streamers before cable and sat. Simple reason I say this is because most companies are going to offer their channels directly and therefor see no need to allow other providers to separate out their channels and mix and match them with competitors.

Even though HBO has show this works just fine for 30 years...

There is a chance that sports channels from Sinclair may have this happen first. And if that’s the case everyone will follow as contracts where to get renewed.

I’ve been wondering if maybe that’s why Sinclair is also letting all their station deals fall apart. The want to sell direct and can’t till they have leverage against all providers by not having their stations on most of the services.

12. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    I don't think it is a matter of "letting" the deals fall apart. Sinclair over-extended themselves financially and they're asking ridiculous rates to try to recover from it.

I'm not sure what you mean by "selling direct" as they do that with the MVPDs already. Carriage is a deal that the station owners strike, not the networks. Broadcasters arguably don't have the luxury of going direct where "serving the public interest" is a criterion and I'm pretty sure the networks wouldn't stand for them not "covering" their DMAs.

13. harperhometheater

harperhometheater Legend

Aug 30, 2012
    So it appears this isn’t Android Operator Tier and that TVision is just an app, which happens to have a dedicated “power” button to open it when needed. This is the same as TiVo Stream 4K.

This makes it quite different than AT&T TV, which opens with live tv embedded in the background of the main menu giving it a more traditional cable or satellite feel in operation.

Is there a away to emulate the AT&T TV/Operator Tier feel and functions on a non-operator tier Android device? Custom skin maybe?

Spectrum already does this with their TV Stream option available to internet only customers, if you happen to be in one of their service areas of course.

14. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    Selling direct to the viewer - not to an intermediary.

The networks get their affiliation fee. For most markets that is enough to satisfy the network. If a station refused carriage across the board (no cable, satellite or other carriage) their network might get upset since the network gets a portion of the carriage fees. But having a carriage dispute with one or two carriers doesn't hurt too much. Even in the O&O markets the networks let their stations be pulled in disputes knowing that they will eventually be restored.

15. techguy88

Mar 19, 2015
    T-Mobile is using the Operator Tier. Look at the 4th picture they are using a custom overlay for the home screen to fit their brand and features they want to emphasis. Operator Tier allows operators like TiVo and Dish to disable the uninstall option for the Sling TV app and their custom apps. On TiVo Stream 4K the Operator Tier is used to hardlock the TiVo Stream app to the app favorite row and to lock the TiVo Stream channel to the first position on the home screen.

With the Android TV Operator Tier it is up to the operator on how much customization they want. If AT&T can do it then any operator can do it.

However not many want to do what AT&T did since it drives up development costs. It also significantly delays AT&T's ability to push out Android TV OS upgrades. This is why the Android mobile phone operators stopped (or didn't even attempt) fully customized Android GUIs for their devices. Most now just employ a simple overlay so they can push out Android OS upgrades on a regular basis.

T-Mobile's approach with the TVision Hub appears they have gone for more of an overlay route. From what they revealed they prioritized ease of use, affordability and performance. Since the TiVo Stream 4K is a powerful and affordable device and the TVision Hub is using the same SoC, RAM and Memory then the Hub should be comparable. The overlay GUI shouldn't impact performance since the TVision app will only be active when used (just like the TiVo Stream app.)

A lot of AT&T's issues with the AT&T TV device when using different apps is the AT&T TV app is always on in either active or standby mode since it also acts as the Home Screen launcher. Having a standalone home screen similar to Android TV's home screen means the TVision app isn't doing all the heavy work. It also allows the TVision app to be completely closed when not in use thereby not using system resources when using another app like Netflix, Hulu, HBO Max, etc.

T-Mobile has another benefit here. They just need 1 TVision app for all Android TV devices only their GU overlay is exclusive to their device. AT&T's approach means they need to develop a separate version of the AT&T TV app for other Android TV devices while keeping the heavily modified version exclusive to the AT&T TV device (if they ever want to expand AT&T TV to other Android TV devices.)

Spectrum is working within the confines of their existing agreements and for Spectrum this more a ploy to keep people within their eco-system instead of cutting Spectrum completely out. Also Spectrum doesn't have their own streaming device (as far as I know) they resell Apple TV 4K devices on installments.

16. dmspen

dmspen Hall Of Fame

Dec 1, 2006
    Los Gatos,...
    One thing to note is TVision is HD minimum with a number of 4K channels. Very few IPTV services offer HD, except as 720p. T-Mobile is evidently looking to use future 5G connectivity to broadcast 4k everywhere, at least according to an article on Tom's Hardware. They are emulating cable services but via broadband.
    No one has mentioned the most important aspect of TVision - they carry the Hallmark Channels!

17. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    It would be interesting to see a broadcast implementation of how this might work. Conditional access has always been a part of digital TV but few have ever used it and I can't recall of any tuners or TVs that support it.
    If a local station stops serving the public interest with their TV channel, the FCC can pull their license. That seems like letting the air out of the balloon if the station hopes to attract advertisers.

Imagine how much the broadcaster would have to collect in fees to replace the advertising dollars and given the nature of television seasons, you can guess what the off-season would be like.

18. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    Conditional access has been done on OTA and is still being done in some markets. The companies providing service are providing their own tuners. But that has nothing to do with Sinclair or any other content provider selling their content direct to consumers. OTA is not the only path in to people's homes.

The bar for "serving the public" is very low. Has any station ever lost their license as long as they were still transmitting something? There is a local in my market that meets the FCC minimums and is not carried on DISH or DIRECTV. Allowing your station to be retransmitted is NOT REQUIRED by the FCC.

19. NashGuy

NashGuy Well-Known Member

Jan 30, 2014
    Nashville, TN
    Yeah, the Plus and Max packages on AT&T TV Now (which are, for some reason, also available via AT&T TV and DirecTV) have always lacked channels from A+E, AMC and Discovery. I always thought we'd either see some/all those missing nets added to Plus and Max and/or see them available via an optional add-on channel pack.

If TVision can offer Vibe as a standalone $10 package, with nets from AMC, Discovery, Viacom and Hallmark, it seems like AT&T (which has to have far greater pricing power) could offering a $10 add-on package with the most popular channels from AMC, Discovery and A&E. (AT&T's Plus and Max already contain some channels from Hallmark and Viacom, although maybe the missing ones, like Hallmark M&M could be in the $10 add-on.)

Although, at this point, I'm not sure if AT&T cares enough about AT&T TV Now to bother doing something like that. They don't actively market it any more and it's just sort of languishing. My guess is that it dies completely once HBO Max begins offering a live channel add-on package(s) next year.

20. NashGuy

NashGuy Well-Known Member

Jan 30, 2014
    Nashville, TN
    Yes, there are different levels of home screen UI customization that can be done under Android TV Operator Tier. AT&T TV and TiVo (in the software they deploy in the STBs for their IPTV partners, like RCN) have a fully customized home screen that doesn't look like the standard Android TV home screen at all. Meanwhile, the home screens for the devices sold by Sling (AirTV Mini) and TVision (TVision Hub) are just lightly customized versions of the same home screen you see on other retail Android TV devices like the Nvidia Shield TV and TiVo Stream 4K.

I don't know but I wonder if Google doesn't allow as much customization for Android TV Operator Tier devices that are sold at retail for use with OTT services (like the TVision Hub) as they allow for devices that aren't sold at retail but only provided directly by the pay TV operator to their customers, as is the case with the AT&T TV box.