T-Mobile One plans may breach US net neutrality rules

Discussion in 'Tech Talk - Gadgets, Gizmos and Technology' started by phrelin, Aug 21, 2016.

1. phrelin

phrelin Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    You can Google and pick your source, but the blunter article on NextWeb is T-Mobile One is garbage, and the EFF says it violates net neutrality while the more polite article is the BBC's T-Mobile deal 'may breach US net neutrality' rules.

The BBC story explains clearly what T-Mobile announced:

The NextWeb less polite story at the end opines:

I think the fundamental problem here is that the carrier's argument is that folks like me who don't use much wireless data shouldn't have to pay as much as those who do. The problem with that argument is that while T-Mobile is hardly the biggest threat to a fair and equal internet, net neutrality can't have exceptions.

IMHO technology is evolving too rapidly to not enforce net neutrality. As noted in the thread Google quietly tests wireless - fiber too expensive, to time consuming, wireless may be the future of universal internet access.

2. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Gold Club DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    T-Mobile needs to price their plans based on amount of consumption instead of speed of consumption. That would get around the blocking of HD feeds that they are suggesting that they will do.

3. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    MetroPCS, a T-Mobile owned company has a $60 plan that is unlimited everything all included, even taxes, etc. I put my son on that plan in Feb of this year.
    They have a feature that is called Data Maximizer that touts that you can watch up to 3x more and use up less data. However, it can be turned off. They tell you that is for videos because of the size of a cell phone screen. My son has used it each way, on and off, and says he sees virtually no difference.
    This plan also allows you to tether a laptop or tablet to the phone for up to 8 gigabytes per month.
    They do tell you that you are in line for data behind T-Mobile customers and "could be slowed down after 25 gigabytes" in the event of data requests by those customers. He tested it one month and used 66 gigabytes of data watching videos in one month. It never slowed down. The bill was still $60.

4. MikeW

MikeW Hall Of Fame

May 16, 2002
    Wouldn't that be the same as the plans they already offer? Giving up unlimited data with reduced resolution shouldn't be an issue. If used as intended, 480p on the screen that displays the content is perfectly adequate.

5. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    My neighbor just switched from Verizon to T-Mobile. He says he sees little difference. Don't know him that well but he seems pretty level headed. I wouldn't mind switching if everything he told me is correct.

Rich

6. Cholly

Cholly Old Guys Rule!

Mar 22, 2004
    Indian...
    Go T-Mobile's web site and check the coverage maps, particularly for your area. They claim excellent coverage, but it is very spotty within a 5 mile radius of my home. :mad2:

7. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    Verizon is really torking me off with my phone still not being on Marshmallow, I'm seriously thinking of going T-Mobile once Blackberry is done hardening Nougat.

8. djlong

djlong Hall Of Fame

Jul 8, 2002
    New Hampshire
    *If* I remember correctly, net neutrality primarily deals with WIRED access. Wireless is a different beast since there IS a finite amount of spectrum out there. If you run out of bandwidth on a wired connection, you can lay another cable. If that happens in the wireless arena, you can't just invent new spectrum.

I could be mistaken, though. There could have been many changes to the rules since the last proposal I read quite some time ago (which had exceptions for wireless)