Table service at McDonald's

Discussion in 'The OT' started by AntAltMike, Dec 7, 2016.

1. Dec 7, 2016 #1 of 30
    AntAltMike

AntAltMike Hall Of Fame

Nov 20, 2004
    College...
    They tested it for nearly a year, ad now they are rolling it out nationally.

McDonald's Is Rolling Out Table Service Nationwide
    The food will stay mediocre as ever, though
    by Virginia Chamlee Nov 17, 2016, 4:00pm EST
    [​IMG]

McDonald’s is doubling down on its “McDonald’s of the Future” stores, which are outfitted with touch-screen kiosks that allow for more customization of orders and, (this is the bigger news) offer table service. Soon, all McDonald’s U.S. stores will fall in line with this model... More:

McDonald's Is Rolling Out Table Service Nationwide

# # #​

I ate at one newly constructed restaurant today, but I was still able to order over the counter, through a cashier. Then, she gave me a plastic "table tee-pee" (that's my term for it) so my waitress (my term, also) could locate me for delivery. I do not know how I could have marked myself for delivery if I had completed the transaction through the kiosk.

I'm sure that the over-the-counter order placement alternative will remain available for years, and probably forever, but the bummer for me today was that since I wasn't given my register receipt, I could not fill out the two minute "PROMO" customer satisfaction survey, using the receipt's unique entry code that I complete every day that gets me a second Egg McMuffin for free ($3.39 to $3.79 regular price). Since I do that nearly every day, I get about a thousand dollars worth of free sandwiches a year. I am scrambling to maintain my freeloader status.

For now, I imagine I could simply ask for my receipt, as that is a normal practice for those who can submit it for reimbursement, or I could order it as a takeout, as those customers got printed receipts with the PROMO offer printed on it, but still eat the food in their dining room, but since the customer survey asked about customizations I had ordered, it is possible they have been surveying the customers for the last couple of years just to gather date to help shape the new operational model and that freebie will be gone.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2016
  2. Dec 7, 2016 #2 of 30
    Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Just told my wife about your post and she replied it might give the servers tips which might slow the fight for the $15 an hour wage raise.

Rich

3. Dec 7, 2016 #3 of 30
    James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    Tips at a McDonalds???

Tips seem to be a good way for companies to lower people's pay by the expected level of tips ... not to give people more money.

Dude111 likes this.
  4. Dec 7, 2016 #4 of 30
    Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    The employees of McDonalds have been fighting for a higher wage, $15 an hour. All my wife meant was the the tips would bump up their wages and might put an end to the argument about a higher wage.

Rich

5. Dec 7, 2016 #5 of 30
    Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon Roving Reporter Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    James is pointing out that it usually doesn't work that way. Restaurants that have servers who get tips often pay LESS than minimum wage because that is one of the legal exceptions to that rule. So tips at McDonald's is more apt to result in lower wages to those servers... and then I don't expect people coming to McDonald's for a meal to be much in the vein of tipping or they'd have gone to a proper sit-down restaurant in the first place.

6. Dec 7, 2016 #6 of 30
    Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Yup, I know how tips work. In my area, the tips far outweigh the wage in restaurants. In Manhattan, in upscale restaurants and bars, the tips are so good the wage is insignificant. I can't see many people going to Mickey D's and tipping either. That seems to defeat the whole McDonalds' experience, no?

Rich

Stewart Vernon likes this.
  7. Dec 7, 2016 #7 of 30
    Cholly

Cholly Old Guys Rule!

Mar 22, 2004
    Indian...
    Panara Bread, Chick-fil-A and McAllister's Deli have been providing table delivery of meals for several years. Of course, all three have better food than the big M.

8. Dec 7, 2016 #8 of 30
    Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Right, Panera is much better. I've eaten there a few times and always tipped the server and always had a good meal. I just looked up the deli and the nearest one in 17 miles away with heavy traffic, not going there. Never tried a Chick-Fil-A. Might give them a shot next time I'm in a mall.

Thinking about delis and we don't have any nearby. Now I'm thinking about a pastrami on rye with french dressing...

Rich

9. Dec 7, 2016 #9 of 30
    inkahauts

inkahauts Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2006
    Had table service at McDonald's for a while now here. No one tips. It's not like a regular restaurant. It's like Carl's was. They just come and drop off food and disappear.

10. Stewart Vernon

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    Hardee's does the same thing... Burger King also did this for a while, not sure if they still do.

11. inkahauts

Nov 13, 2006
    Yeah. But that's kinda expected since Hardee's and Carl's are the same company. In fact they used to use the exact same merchandise and marketing materials simply swapping just the logo and name depending on the market.

12. billsharpe

billsharpe Hall Of Fame

Jan 25, 2007
    Southern...
    Went to McDonald's last week, ordered at the counter (no kiosks visible) and got a sign for food delivery. We sat down and waited. My wife saw our order sitting up on the counter but no one seemed to want to deliver it to us. She got up and picked it up herself. Obviously no tip here!

AntAltMike likes this.
  13. Nick

Nick Charter Gold Club Member

Apr 23, 2002
    The...
    Quoting one minimum wage fast food worker in a brief convo about service, or the lack, thereof:

"They don't pay me enough to live on, so why should I care?"

He had a point.

14. Stewart Vernon

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    Low pay breeds disinterest among employees. While it is true that high pay doesn't guarantee good employees either, you at least have a carrot out there to attract good employees should you decide to replace a bad one. When the wages are low, you get what you get... and letting a bad employee go means you just have to train a new bad employee... so might as well stick with the current bad one until he does something illegal or really offensive that forces your hand.

It's part of the race to the bottom!

Flip side (which is appropriate for burgers...) IF you pay a living wage, you can attract better employees wiling to work and they feel valued so they in turn work harder for you... this means your customers are happier too, and they tend to come back more often and tell their friends. Win-win by keeping your employees happy and able to survive.

Rich, Nick and AZ. like this.
  15. SamC

SamC Hall Of Fame

Jan 20, 2003
    Not exactly.

The theory that minimum wage workers are disinterested, or whatever, is just not so. Most minimum wasg workers are not making a career of it, they are working for a specific period of time during their life. Often they are very hard working and eager.

16. peds48

peds48 Genius.

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    Not exactly.

This article walks us through a different picture who are the folks holding this type of jobs.

It’s Getting Harder To Move Beyond A Minimum-Wage Job

17. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    The challenge is to pay an acceptable wage that allows the company to stay in business. $15 per hour would be really nice for people who are not already earning that much (even outside the "minimum wage job" community).

So what do you do with the skilled worker earning $16 per hour today? Bump them up to $20 so they can afford a hamburger at that $15 per hour burger joint? Make the minimum wage $15 and watch prices rise quickly making $15 too low to be a "living wage". Then repeat. Then repeat. The minimum wage could be $100 and still not end up being a "living wage" if prices go up to pay for those "living wages".

Nick likes this.
  18. inkahauts

Nov 13, 2006
    Wage increase don't make things cheaper for people to buy. But so many believe it does and that's why we have minimum wage increases. It's also why there are less and less mid range wage jobs.

People at McDonald's generally don't stay forever because they use it as a stepping stone. Not everyone of course but most. Most jobs paying minimum wage should be stepping stones. But if you keep easing minimum wage they suddenly lose the ability to be stepping stones because there aren't nearly enough places to step up to.

Rich likes this.
  19. SamC

SamC Hall Of Fame

Jan 20, 2003
    Really poor work, even by Nate Silver standards. Yes, if a person stays in a minimum wage job, they will always make minimum wage. Duh.

The point is that almost no one stays in such a job for very long, let alone a lifetime. Most minimum wage workers are second jobs, spouses earning a second family income, students, and young people. After a while, their life situation changes,they no longer need a second job, spouse income rises, or, most importantly, they GRADUATE or otherwise learn a skill, or simply gain a maturity, and move on.

The lifetime minimum wage worker is a myth. As is the idea that most mw workers give a substandard effort.

20. peds48

peds48 Genius.

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    Not exactly.

You don't have to raise prices in order to keep a decent minimum wage. Minimum wage is NOT on part with inflation, if it was, the minimum wage would be close to $20. So your theory fails the first fact test.

But if you must cut cost somewhere in order to "afford" an minimum wage increase, you can start by paying the CEO 5 Million instead of 8 Million

"The McDonald's CEO got his salary super-sized. The fast food chain's chief executive, Steve Easterbrook, brought home a whopping $7.91 million last year — a 368% raise over his 2014 salary of $1.69 million —while low-wage McDonald's workers are striking around the country for a livable income."

McDonald's CEO gets 368% pay raise

This should be common sense....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk