1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tailgating - Set Up was Simple with Slimline

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by SmittyLax6, Aug 24, 2010.

1. SmittyLax6

SmittyLax6 Cool Member

Dec 27, 2006
    Either I was super, super lucky or you guys made this out to be much harder than it was.

Since I have Giants season tix this year, but love my Sunday Ticket in HD, I decided that I needed to get a dish that could see the HD sats. This past Saturday before a preseason game, I set it up.

This was my set up. I had a tripod that I have been using for mobile set up for a few years. Unfortunately, the tripod only accomdates a 1.75 inch pipe to use as a mast. Slimline needs a 2 inch mast. I came up with the following solution: I cut the mast that came with the dish above the bend using a pipe cutter. I then sort of jammed the cut mast on to the pipe I had and wedged a bunch of industrial staples in there to hold it in place. I then covered where the two pipes met in duct tape. Now I had a 2 inch mast on a 1.75 inch pipe and could use my tripod.

The mast had the bubble level in the top so I simply used that to get the mast to be plum in my tripod. I had preset my elevation and tilt while at home so when I got to the stadium, all I had to do was put the dish on the mast and use my compass to find the correct Azimuth.

I then hooked up the TV to the little generator we had and hooked up the dish to the receiver and receiver to the TV by HDMI cable. The next thing took the most time. The stupid receiver did its system test which took like 5 minutes since it was unplugged all day. Once that completed itself, I went to the signal meters and started on 101. I then realized that I goofed up the azimuth by about 30 degrees. Nothing major, just had the wrong number stuck in my head instead of looking at the TV screen or the piece of paper I wrote it down on. I used the compass to repoint and Bingo, 90% right away. I then put the meter on the 103 and 99 sats and they were on 88 or 89.

I then locked the dish down by tightening the nuts and let the receiver acquire the guide data. 2 minutes later I was eating grilled sausage with onions and peppers on a grinder roll, sitting in the parking lot watching Braves v Cubs in HD on Fox.

Did I just get lucky or what here?

2. JACKIEGAGA

JACKIEGAGA N.Y. FOOTBALL GIANTS

Dec 11, 2006
    Long Island, NY
    Where are your seat how much was your PSL

3. SmittyLax6

SmittyLax6 Cool Member

Dec 27, 2006
    Field Level Endzone, $5K. I have to say it was worth it.

4. JACKIEGAGA

JACKIEGAGA N.Y. FOOTBALL GIANTS

Dec 11, 2006
    Long Island, NY
    I got rid of my tickets this year. My seats were there Sec 140 in the end zone where the tunnel was

5. SmittyLax6

SmittyLax6 Cool Member

Dec 27, 2006
    I got in while I could. I was shut out for too long. Had to do it when the chance arose.

6. Manctech

Manctech Icon

Jul 5, 2010
    Self tapping screws work better than industrial staples!

Yes and no. You did all the critical steps to make pointing it very easy. As long as you level the mast and follow the azimuth/elevation numbers on the TV then you really only have to rotate the dish till the signal comes in. Usually people are unable to get the mast level both left and right and front and back. Putting it on a tripod eliminates this problem.

7. SmittyLax6

SmittyLax6 Cool Member

Dec 27, 2006

8. doctor j

doctor j Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jun 14, 2006
    Birmingham, Al.
    In the long run you'll be more happy with a 2" pipe.
    You only need about 3 feet.
    Solid Signal has one or a local muffler shop could cut you a segment for less $'s.

You did the correct steps to insure a good result.
    ie "You make your own luck!"
    Biggest mistake I see in tailgate setups is unlevel ground and not getting the pole relatively plumb prior to starting.

Doctor j

9. SmittyLax6

SmittyLax6 Cool Member

Dec 27, 2006

10. doctor j

doctor j Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jun 14, 2006
    Birmingham, Al.

11. SmittyLax6

SmittyLax6 Cool Member

Dec 27, 2006
    9 days until I do this for real.

12. cosmo

cosmo AllStar

Mar 3, 2005
    if its a hd tv with a built in tuner you could get all locals in HD with rabbit ears at giants stadium.

the set up for a slimline dish in that area is
    elevation is 36
    skew is 63 and
    you point the dish 228 degrees south west.

you could use a pallet and mount the slimline dish base on that the slimline mast is about 2 inch

or go to home depot and get a 2 in fence pipe and cut it and slide it over the tripod pole and use self tapping screws. :) works great.

13. parmark

parmark Cool Member

Sep 1, 2010
    Cool story. Can I ask, how did you get tilt - do you measure from middle of dish or LNB or is there a measurement on the back you used? I can't figure where this measures from.
    Thanks.

14. Manctech

Manctech Icon

Jul 5, 2010
    The newer slimlines (2 years or so) have tilt numbers on one side of the back assembly. If the mast is level they are close to accurate. Fine tuning knobs dial it in.

15. SmittyLax6

SmittyLax6 Cool Member

Dec 27, 2006
    I'm going to try an replicate what I did at the preseason game two weeks ago. I really need to have Sunday Ticket for this to work so the rabbit ears won't get it done.

16. SmittyLax6

SmittyLax6 Cool Member

Dec 27, 2006
    38 hours until set up, not that I'm counting or anything.

17. Davewolf

Davewolf New Member

Sep 13, 2010
    ^^^^ Sorry for the duplicate posts. Had to get 5 posts in order to PM poster above. Thanks.

18. SmittyLax6

SmittyLax6 Cool Member

Dec 27, 2006
    10 minutes on Sunday. Had all the games in HD. Worked out great. Thanks guys.

19. Davewolf

Davewolf New Member

Sep 13, 2010
    Post 1

20. Davewolf

Davewolf New Member

Sep 13, 2010
    Post 2