Take Support

Discussion in 'The OT' started by steve053, Sep 14, 2020.

1. steve053

steve053 Godfather

May 11, 2007
    Brookfield, WI
    Today was an unusually quiet work morning; no scheduled meetings/calls until the afternoon and nothing requiring immediate attention. The landline rings (I'm WFH through the end of the year) and a "gentleman" with a very Indian accent is on the line telling me that he's from Microsoft and my computer is infected with viruses. He told me his name was "Kevin English".

Decide what the heck, let's play along. He guides me to the log files and "convinces" me that the 5k logged events are proof that my system is infected. Goes on to tell me there's an http connection between Microsoft and my computer that's notifying Microsoft of my problem. I thought it was odd that my company owned device that's on an encrypted vpn would alert Microsoft, and that Microsoft would have my home phone number, but I digress. He asked what I wanted to do, I told him my computer must be infected, and would he help me.

Unfortunately I'm a really poor typist and have a hard time following directions. We spent 25 minutes trying to enter commands and testing the internet looking for "take support dot com" and "take support dot me". I was so distraught that we couldn't fix the problem that I told him I'd pay anything to straighten this up right now, asked him to hold while I looked for my credit card. After 37 minutes and 22 seconds he told me to f*** off.

Never had anyone stay on the line much longer than 10 minutes. New PR!

2. dmspen

dmspen Hall Of Fame

Dec 1, 2006
    Los Gatos,...
    I kept one of those guys online for awhile. I kept telling him I didn't think I had a virus. He finally told me I didn't know what I was talking about and I should listen to his expertise. I told him I worked for Norton AntiVirus and he hung up. He he.:)

3. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Be very careful when you get emails or calls like this. That "take support dot com" thing will get you to a site where that "gentleman" can take control of your computer and wreak havoc in your life. I see a lot of the emails that lead you down that path, always about a virus or money you owe or money you can get. Once they get in you're gonna have problems that you never expected.

Rich

4. billsharpe

billsharpe Hall Of Fame

Jan 25, 2007
    Southern...
    My last encounter with "Microsoft support" ended with an expletive from the agent after about twenty minutes when I told him I couldn't find the Control key because there isn't any on my Macintosh computer.

I am now getting robocalls from "Apple support" asking me to press 1 to fix my Apple device. I am almost ready to do that and tell them, after some discussion, that I can't find the Command key. My wife says just ignore the call and hang up. So far that's what I've been doing.

5. lparsons21

lparsons21 Hall Of Fame

Mar 4, 2006
    Herrin, IL
    If you call me and you aren’t in my contacts list, you go to voicemail. No exceptions. If it is legit they’ll leave a message. And on rare occasions even the morons doing the scam calls will, but they are easy to identify.

either way I’m not bothered by them

TheRatPatrol likes this.
  6. goldwing

goldwing AllStar

Aug 25, 2006
    SW OHIO
    I sometimes like to play along for awhile also to see how long before they cuss or call me a name and hang up. For me though they have always said their from Windows. Not once have any of them said Microsoft at all. Sometimes I ask them how they can work for Windows when its an OS not a company which flusters the sh** out of them but always gives me a chuckle.

Rich likes this.
  7. dmspen

dmspen Hall Of Fame

Dec 1, 2006
    Los Gatos,...
    On the other hand, some people do fall for these. One of my friends father who is very elderly, bought into it and gave access to them. A program was remotely installed and he had no control over his computer. He got scared at that point and unplugged his PC. Fortunately it seemed he didn't lose anything. I was called to help. We went through and changed all his passwords (on my laptop). No accounts were touched. He had no backups but was willing to reload Windows, so we did a clean install. We chatted a while and I told him, "Never accept anything from an unsolicited phone call. If it sounds like something good, get a number, look them up, and call back." That was almost 3 years ago and no more problems.

8. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Bill, when in doubt I always call and make sure I'm not being scammed. If you get an email from Microsoft it should not have an email address a foot long. Same with American Express, if the email has a long address it's phony.

Rich

9. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    I've explained this to my wife over and over for years and she still reacts to these callers, she can't help herself. The emails do look legitimate. But those long email addresses are a clue.

Rich

10. Eva

Eva Active Member

Nov 8, 2013
    I had one call my cell phone and he said "Your PC is alerting us of some virus." I said kinda hard when my PC is off the net on the family farm and only internet was through my flip phone. He cursed and hung up. Another time when I answered I spoke Persian to him! Hung up! :D

11. billsharpe

billsharpe Hall Of Fame

Jan 25, 2007
    Southern...
    I got a call from Windows support yesterday. I said I wasn't at my computer and offered to call back. Surprisingly enough she gave me a Florida phone number to call back. I said I would call back in a few days and hung up. I didn't even write the number down but checked where the area code said the phone was. That, of course, is not always correct, especially with smart phones.

12. Delroy E Walleye

Delroy E Walleye AllStar

Jun 9, 2012
    Got a couple of these the other week. Synthetic "female" US English voice with bad grammar in truncated voicemail (same message from two different numbers).

Ending with something like "press 1 to speak with an 'agent'."

13. steve053

steve053 Godfather

May 11, 2007
    Brookfield, WI
    Last night I got a call notifying me that my apple account was compromised by someone in Nigeria. Had my wife in stitches for 15 minutes while he tried to walk me through installing a remote viewer on my phone. He finally gave up and started calling me all sorts of names.

Makes me angry that people have their time, money, and identity stolen from these people. From the background noise you can hear it's a boiler room operation, so they must be somewhat successful.

Rich likes this.