1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Taking HD DVR in Travel Trailer

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by Norm, May 12, 2012.

1. Norm

Norm AllStar

Jul 18, 2008
    I have a question regarding taking your HD DVR receiver with you camping. Is it possible to use it without hooking it up to a dish? Does it have to establish a satellite connection to work? We just bought a 5th Wheel TT and it would be great if we could record a bunch of stuff on one of the DVRs and take it with us without having to mess with setting up a tripod with a Slimline dish and aiming it. I plan on getting a Tripod setup eventually but, right now we will just be taking weekend trips. If it won't work that way how about if I just get one of the old oval tripod setups and let it pick up some kind of signal with it.

BTW it is a HR21 if that helps

2. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    Without it being connected to a signal, after a small amount of time, you will not be able to access the recordings. That amount of time varies though. Your best bet would be to use a small oval dish that you can hook up just to get a signal.

- Merg

3. Norm

Norm AllStar

Jul 18, 2008
    Just found this on Craigslist Looks interesting and the guy wants $50 for it.

[​IMG]

4. revolg

revolg AllStar

Apr 7, 2012
    Yeah that is a non-pen. 8 cinder blocks set in the squares. if you had a meter you could make a nice setup using that. But that depends on if you can use a meter to dither. also it may be possible to just turn it slightly on the ground until you pick up a signal and try ur best to get decent signal. but with the kaku's its easier with a meter.

5. kevinturcotte

kevinturcotte Active Member

Dec 19, 2006
    Outside...
    If you're just looking to watch recorded shows, even a small, 18" dish pointed at 101 will work

6. Norm

Norm AllStar

Jul 18, 2008
    I agree but with that rig I could get everything and even a 18" dish rig with a tripod costs more then what I can that up for.

7. shedberg

shedberg Icon

Jan 20, 2007
    You could get a Nomad for the recorded shows and watch them on your either your TV or computer at the campground.

8. Norm

Norm AllStar

Jul 18, 2008
    Doesn't the Nomad need a internet connection?

9. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    Only to initially download your shows. But to watch them, no.

10. Norm

Norm AllStar

Jul 18, 2008
    My bad it allows the programs to be downloaded before you leave home.

So now I have a question about the Nomad. I have one of those WD Live drives with a 1tb HD, is it compatible with the Nomad? Right now I have Blurays and MP3s I have copied to it and we can watch and listen to them in the TT.

Looking at DTVs website it is only compatible with some Mobile devices. Also how is the quality if I was to stream it to the TV does it retain the HD?

11. studechip

studechip Godfather

Apr 16, 2012
    For $50 the dish and base is a really good deal!

12. Norm

Norm AllStar

Jul 18, 2008
    :lol: I just got home from buying it. It is like new there is no weathering on it at all. Guy I got it from goes in and cleans and repairs apts. after people move out. I suspect this was on a patio and never got much exposure to Big Red.

13. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    Correct. You would download shows from your DVR to the Nomad and then the Nomad will download them to your mobile device (iPhone, iPad, or laptop). Once on your device, you have 30 days to watch it. After that, it will be removed from your device, but you can redownload it from the Nomad if it is still there.

The Nomad has 2 USB ports on it that you can plug in additional thumbdrives or USB harddrives. Right now I have 2 4GB thumbdrives plugged into it to give me an additional 8GB to the 16GB that is starts with.

As for viewing the playback on a TV, I've seen some posts from people that used AirPlay from the iPad and those that connected a laptop to a TV and the playback was of good quality.

- Merg

14. ShadowFree

ShadowFree Cool Member

Feb 10, 2007
    Hi,

Use my HR24 DVR in my TTrailer have no problem watching programs from playlist without dish connected. Just power up DVR wait for it to boot and display message that is having trouble with satellite signal. Push Menu button than select playlist and enjoy. The trick is you have to wait for the message to be displayed. If you have different model DVR, try it at home. Power down, disconnect dish, power up and wait for message.

15. Norm

Norm AllStar

Jul 18, 2008
    Today was the first time I have had to mess with the new Craigstlist dish setup I bought. I noticed it only has one feed coming out of the LNB (it has the green sticker on it). I assume it is for a SWM setup. Will it still work just directly into the back of my HR21?

16. studechip

studechip Godfather

Apr 16, 2012
    Yes, but you need a power inserter to get power to the lnb. If you don't use one, it will try to use the power supply in the dvr, but it's not big enough and you will burn it out. You need the 21 volt version.

17. Norm

Norm AllStar

Jul 18, 2008
    So if I pickup a PI I should be good right? Not sure if I can post links or not so I found one on ebay here is the description:

PI21R1-03 PI-21 POWER INSERTER KA/KU SWIM LNB DISH MULTISWITCH INSERTER DIRECTV.

To hook it up I just need to run a cable from the receiver to the Signal to IRD connection and one from the dish to the Power to SWM connect and power it up correct?

18. studechip

studechip Godfather

Apr 16, 2012
    Yup.

19. Norm

Norm AllStar

Jul 18, 2008
    Did it yesterday and it worked perfectly. The dish was already set to my area so all I had to do was aim it to 229 and level it out with the little bubble level in the pole. Going camping (if that's what you want to call it) and will take the new setup.