1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

tattoo removal

Discussion in 'The OT' started by Nabisco, Jan 9, 2011.

1. Jan 9, 2011 #1 of 25
    Nabisco

Nabisco Godfather

May 18, 2007
    Well i am just about to get my next tattoo and had a few questions. i already have a tribal on my back and ready to do a full sleeve tribal on my arm. the guy who i am going to have it done has two shops but i just want to make sure i get what i want... i wanted it to be mostly red but he said over time red fades and turns to pink? also i asked if he could do the design i wanted bit he wont sketch it out, he said he can do one like that but when he draws it out on paper it will be different when it goes on the arm, i understand that but i just asked him if he could draw something up so i can see how he plans to do it and he wasnt to hot about that..... my idea is that its going on my body for the rest of my life.... it better be what i want, i dont want to just go with it and then have a crappy tat!!! he comes very highly recommended and i just want that extra reassurance

2. johns70

johns70 Legend

May 2, 2010
    What's a full sleeve tribal on your arm going to set you back ?

3. spartanstew

spartanstew Dry as a bone

Nov 16, 2005
    Wylie, Texas
    Yes, red will fade more than other colors.

I would not let anyone do the work until I saw their rendition on paper.

4. sigma1914

sigma1914 Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

Sep 5, 2006
    Allen, TX
    +1....I've got 2 original pieces & 2 standard pieces; All of them were drawn out before any ink went on.

5. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    The problem is you're not drunk enough. :D

I agree ... if he won't sketch it out find someone who will.

6. smiddy

smiddy Tain't ogre til its ogre

Apr 5, 2006
    I have a lion on my arm, the tongue is faded but it isn't pink and I've had it since 1984. I agree with others here, you should get a preview drawing, or get to see someone else who he's done something similar on. I agree it will likely look different on your arm, but you are the customer, you have to be comfortable that you are getting what you want.

7. barryb

barryb New Member

Aug 26, 2007
    Red fades to pink?

No. If you have seen this happen, ask the person where he/she got it and stay away from that place.

I have owned shops over the years, had as many as 11 artists working for me, so I know a few things about this. I have a lot of red, but no pink. Nor do I have any red thats turned pink.... and we are talking close to 20 years.

You are the customer [ya know, the guy with the money], and you asked for something that he "wasn't to hot about"?

Where are you jdogg? You can PM me your location if thats better for you. Lets just say I know a few people, and if you are near one I might be able to give you a proper recommendation.

8. Doug Brott

Doug Brott Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Jul 12, 2006
    Los Angeles
    .. I'd like to vouch for barryb .. You can definitely trust him, especially on this issue.

9. Nick

Nick Retired, part-time PITA DBSTalk Club

Apr 23, 2002
    The...
    [​IMG]
    First things first, Mr. dogg, we must have clear LOS!

10. barryb

barryb New Member

Aug 26, 2007
    ..... manscaping.

11. Nabisco

Nabisco Godfather

May 18, 2007
    Alright before you dig in to me and tell me what i should of done let me say what happened

I wanted a new tat, for a few years now. i knew what i wanted ( for a long time just like my first one) so i went to an artist who has nothing but great reviews, i talked on the phone a few times and went in and talked to him and i felt pretty good about it. but it went from my lefgt arm to my right, my girlfriends idea. then it went from what color i wanted to another one. so i went in and he drew up a design that at the time looked cool. but now a few weeks after im just not feeling it, it is a ok tat and all but not what i want. shouldnt i be 100% happy and not 80%? dont get me wrong its ok but not what i want there i guess. well s*^t i just dropped big money on it 425 to be exact and i am really sure a simple cover up will not work. it is a tribal sleeve, its not complete yet it is just an outline so i need to know what are my options? i mean if im not 100% on it now is the time( i know not the best time) to get out now, i already looked at laser treatments and some creams but which way to go. i am well aware of the possible road that i am looking at. it wont be a pleasant one for sure but it is what i deserve for going with my gut and not my heart.

When i was getting it i had my GF super worried on how much time i was spending on it that we would use to much time on the design and not on the actual tattooing and the artist assured me that it is cool.

bottom line im not 100% and not to for sure what i should do now....

12. Matt9876

Matt9876 Hall Of Fame

Oct 11, 2007
    Laser removal works but it's almost never 100% removed.

[​IMG]

Although tats are more popular than ever one should always remember "It's permanent."

13. dennisj00

dennisj00 Hall Of Fame

Sep 27, 2007
    Lake Norman, NC
    "A Permanent reminder of a temporary feeling" - Jimmy Buffett

14. SayWhat?

SayWhat? Know Nothing

Jun 6, 2009
    You could always have the arm removed.

15. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    No comment other than "threads merged".

16. Sharkie_Fan

Sharkie_Fan Hall Of Fame

Sep 26, 2006
    +1 ;)

barryb knows of what he speaks!

17. Nabisco

Nabisco Godfather

May 18, 2007
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I just feel it is too boxy, i think i can have him round it off on most 90* bends and do a black border with red in the middle maybe

18. smiddy

smiddy Tain't ogre til its ogre

Apr 5, 2006
    I guess technically my lion's tongue may not be pink, but it is faded, with my white boy skin, looks pink. I got my tat from Dennis Dwyer (he's won many awards for his work) in Tucson, AZ in 1984. I will take a closeup picture of it and send you a picture to examine (either here or elsewhere). I know it can be fixed (or colored; I'm not sure of the semantics here). My tattoo is 27 years old too, so that has something to do with it I'm sure, plus the many years I spent in the sun too. :)

19. barryb

barryb New Member

Aug 26, 2007
    I was referring to the OP Smiddy.

Dennis Dwyer is an outstanding artist, btw.

20. Nabisco

Nabisco Godfather

May 18, 2007
    Hey all I have a outline of a tribal sleeve on my arm, outside of a long story ita almost been a year and im ready to get it gone so i can get what i want... what r some good options anybody have experience or good input on which way to go??