1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

TCM HD

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Programming' started by UTVLamented, Jun 23, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. UTVLamented

UTVLamented Legend

Oct 18, 2006
    Cablevision announced the addition of 30 HD channels including Turner Classic Movies HD. Any chance Directv adds this soon or will we be waiting for D12? TCM is my favorite channel.

2. dcowboy7

dcowboy7 Hall Of Fame

May 22, 2008
    Pequannock, NJ
    Waiting.

Wasnt that a flock of seagulls song ? no that was "wishing"....they were cool.

3. Racer88

Racer88 Icon

Sep 12, 2006
    Directv has proven long ago, and has a long standing history that they don't give a flip about adding content for movie loving customers.......

4. CCarncross

CCarncross Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2005
    Jackson
    IS TCM still commercial free during the movie or do they now have commercial breaks?

5. up north trip

up north trip Cool Member

Mar 11, 2008
    Still commercial free.

6. Drew2k

Drew2k New Member

Aug 16, 2006
    I still have Cablevision and was hoping BBCA would be in the list of new channels, but unfortunately it's not, so only TCM appeals to me.

From the press release:

7. n3ntj

n3ntj Hall Of Fame

Dec 18, 2006
    Lancaster,...
    I would also like to see TCM HD added, as long as their actually show movies in 16:9 HD. If they are only going to show them in 4:3 format, then what's it matter.

8. paulman182

paulman182 Hall Of Fame

Aug 4, 2006
    Most of the movies shown on TCM were not filmed in a widescreen format, although many were. They letterbox those now.

If you ever watch an old 4:3 movie on MGM HD, you'll see the benefit of HD even if it is not a widescreen movie.

9. dcowboy7

dcowboy7 Hall Of Fame

May 22, 2008
    Pequannock, NJ
    per avsforums:

"The good news: EVERYTHING WILL BE SHOWN IT ITS ORIGINAL ASPECT RATIO. No stretching. No cropping. No exceptions.

The bad news: For right now, everything is being upconverted, rather than being shown in native HD. This is temporary (a year or two?) but the material still looks worlds better than it does on the SD channel."

10. LarryFlowers

LarryFlowers New Member

Sep 22, 2006
    Why on earth would you want movies that were filmed in a non wide screen format to be distorted into 16x9? Most old movies were shot in a nearly square format, to make them 16x9 they would have to be stretched making them distorted.

11. goober22

goober22 Godfather

Sep 8, 2004
    Sunny...
    I believe they were mostly 4x3ish up until 1953 and then the widescreen trend started. Many movies of the day were WS formats like Vistavision, Panavision, Cinemascope, etc. and they upconvert nicely.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aspect_ratio_(image)

12. QuickDrop

QuickDrop Hall Of Fame

Jul 20, 2007
    What's funny is that most of the films TCM shows should theoretically have more "resolution" than today's films:

http://www.highdefdigest.com/news/show/Joshua_Zyber/HD_Advisor/HD_Advisor_17/2910

On a side note, there has been at least one unfortunate case where MGM has cut and sliced a film to "fit" wide screen televisions. (The Red Shoes):

http://www.dvdtalk.com/dvdsavant/archives/2009_06.html

(Scroll to the June 8th entry.)

13. Wisegoat

Wisegoat Icon

Aug 16, 2006
    Ain't that the truth! Wizard of OZ on TNT was gorgeous! Sure, it was 4:3, but that was how it was made! The black and white scenes in the begining especially show off the depth that was possible, even with black and white. When it flips to color when she gets to OZ, everything shines!

14. pablo

pablo Icon

Oct 11, 2007
    So what are the chances we'll see this soon on DirecTV?

15. digitalfreak

digitalfreak Legend

Nov 29, 2006
    Slim to none. We've got BETHD now though! /sarcasm

16. ans2004

ans2004 Mentor

Oct 27, 2008
    directv cares more about sports than they do about movie channels..

17. MikeR7

MikeR7 Icon

Jun 17, 2006
    And there are those of us that are glad for this. :lol:

Really, do you guys think that there are not enough movies available on DirecTV™?

18. paulman182

paulman182 Hall Of Fame

Aug 4, 2006
    Most of the movies on most of the movie channels that we don't get are indeed repeated on HD movie channels that we do get, if we are patient.

However, two channels that show a lot of exclusive movies are TCM and IFC, and we get neither in HD.

And in response to the "care more about sports than movies" comment, that's true, and I'm certainly glad I have Sunday Ticket. But who says DirecTV couldn't start caring about both movies and sports?

19. dcowboy7

dcowboy7 Hall Of Fame

May 22, 2008
    Pequannock, NJ
    They will....when D12 is live.

20. n3ntj

n3ntj Hall Of Fame

Dec 18, 2006
    Lancaster,...
    I meant movies that were shot in wide screen should be shown in 16:9... not stretch everything like TNT and TBS.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.