Tech help please

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by benn5325, Feb 22, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. benn5325

benn5325 AllStar

Mar 16, 2004
    I’m going white trash this summer and installing a projector in my garage.
    I currently have 2 x VIP 622s in the house feeding 4 TVs.
    I was originally thinking of running a 60’ HDMI cable from my family room rcvr through the basement and into the garage as I’m using component connections right now, but am thinking that it might PO the other half if she wants to watch something else. So I’m thinking of just getting a VIP211 from eBay.
    All of the cables from the dish come into the basement, probably about 15’ from the garage so it will be very easy to run a bit of coax.
    My problem is I have no clue! I know it’s probably pretty easy, but can someone who is a bit more savvy than me explain what I would need and how to do it..
    Thanks in advance.:confused:

2. patmurphey

patmurphey Godfather

Dec 21, 2006
    Do the email to ceo@echostar.com and explain that you now have a third HDTV and need an additional HD receiver through DISH'n It Up. Ask for at least a 612 and let them install it.

3. davejacobson

davejacobson Legend

Mar 14, 2005
    Depending on your setup it could be easy or hard. If you have a dish 1000.2 there should be 3 outputs just run a cable from the dish LNB If you have a dish 1000 you are going to need a dp44 switch. So what have you got?

4. benn5325

benn5325 AllStar

Mar 16, 2004
    Plain 'ol 1000.

5. BobaBird

BobaBird EKB Editor

Mar 30, 2002
    With which LNB combo? If it's the typical DPP Twin / DP Dual, you can either add a DPP44 switch (moving the Dual's feed from the Twin to the DPP44), or replace the dish with a Dish 1000.2 which has outputs for 3 dual-tuner receivers.

6. benn5325

benn5325 AllStar

Mar 16, 2004
    Bump!
    After being back and forth with dish several times I just went a got a 612 from eBay, also got a DPP44 switch and am going to do a self install this weekend, (Well one of my neighbors installs D* so he’s going to run the cable for me).
    One thing I notice.
    I have 2 cables coming from my dish into the house (But I do get 3 sats).
    One of my other neighbors has a similar setup to me (3 622s) but has 3 cables from the dish to the DPP44.
    Am I missing something?

7. BobaBird

BobaBird EKB Editor

Mar 30, 2002
    The DPP44 needs 1 line in from each LNB (110, 119, 129, possibly 61.5) and 1 line out to each receiver.

8. benn5325

benn5325 AllStar

Mar 16, 2004
    So I need to add a line from the 3rd LNB into the house even though right now there are only 2 and I pick up 3 sats?

9. puckwithahalo

puckwithahalo Hall Of Fame

Sep 2, 2007
    when you don't have a switch the DPP twin acts as the switch and you hook up the second lnb to an input on it. The dpptwin then takes the the two signals it is picking up and the signal from the second lnb and combines them and sends all 3 satellites out on each line. When you hook the dpptwin to a switch, such as that dpp44, the switching mechanism in the dpptwin gets turned off, and you have to hook the second lnb into the dpp44. Also, with the internal switch turned off the dpptwin needs a second line off of it (1 for each satellite it provides signal for, because it is no longer acting as a switch and combining them internally).

So, to answer your question, yes, you would need 3 lines in from the dish. two off of the dpptwin, and one off the other lnb. right now should already have the two off of the twin.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.