1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tech left 6 1/4" Holes in roof after ODU relocate.

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by TBlazer07, Jan 7, 2010.

1. Jan 7, 2010 #1 of 36
    TBlazer07

TBlazer07 Grumpy Grampy

Feb 5, 2009
    Interesting story ..... Just had a dish relocated from an upper roof to a lower roof this morning. From what I understood they usually leave the bracket on the roof. Evidently this guy did not, he took it all.

So I go up into my "walk-in" attic about an hr ago (2PM) and I see 6 bright "streams" of sunlight coming through the interior plywood in the attic roof.

On top of that there is a couple inches of snow coming tonight so I call DirecTV protection plan folks. They say they don't have contact numbers for the installer but are sending a "failed install" message to them and they should call me in 20-30 minutes. Needless to say, it's now 1 hr, no call and about 60 minutes of daylight is left. Had I not seen it, it would have been a disaster. I put a little silicone caulk from the inside into the holes but I am physically unable to climb to the roof or I would patch it myself.

So much for my $15 tip. :mad: Sh1t happens, but why to me.

2. Jan 7, 2010 #2 of 36
    hilmar2k

hilmar2k Hall Of Fame

Mar 18, 2007
    How steep is your roof? I used to live in an old victorian that had so many holes in the roof I didn't need to turn the attic light on during the day. Never a drop of water inside though, because the roof was a really steep (something like a 16/12 pitch).

EDIT: This is not meant to diminish the incompetence on the part of the installer who left the holes, only to possibly alleviate concerns about the oncoming snow. Holes still obviously need to be repaired.

3. Jan 7, 2010 #3 of 36
    TBlazer07

TBlazer07 Grumpy Grampy

Feb 5, 2009
    It's a split level, not very steep. I don't think he was incompetent, he just forgot.

Just called D* back again ... this time they DEFINATELY will call me back within an hour ..... (that makes 2 "definately's."). Less then an hour of sunlight left.

4. Jan 7, 2010 #4 of 36
    hilmar2k

hilmar2k Hall Of Fame

Mar 18, 2007
    While the installer may not be incompetent, forgetting to fill the holes is.

5. Jan 7, 2010 #5 of 36
    TBlazer07

TBlazer07 Grumpy Grampy

Feb 5, 2009
    True, I was trying to go easy on him. :)

6. Jan 7, 2010 #6 of 36
    erosroadie

erosroadie Godfather

Jan 9, 2007
    Interesting. When I had my dish upgraded from a 3 LNB to a 5 LNB the installer REFUSED to remove the old one from the chimney mount. I now have two D* dishes. Kinda makes me look like a suburban space cadet...

7. Jan 7, 2010 #7 of 36
    hilmar2k

hilmar2k Hall Of Fame

Mar 18, 2007
    When I first upgraded to HD, the installer installed an AT-9 sidecar, and refused to removed the old dish. I recently had that dish replaced with a SL-3S. I asked the installer about the old dish and he was shocked the other installer didn't remove it. So now I am back down to one dish. I always hated having both of those dishes.

8. Jan 7, 2010 #8 of 36
    Shades228

Shades228 DaBears

Mar 18, 2008
    I'd call in and report it before any damage is done other than the holes.

9. Jan 7, 2010 #9 of 36
    tcusta00

tcusta00 Active Member

Dec 31, 2007
    It appears he's called twice already.

Good luck, Tblazer. At least you caught it and caulked it from the inside.

10. taz291819

taz291819 Godfather

Oct 18, 2006
    Sorry to hear about that, and kudos for catching it before any damage happened. But as you said, there is the possibility the guy simply forgot to do it. I wouldn't call him incompetent (because if he can take down the dish, I'm sure he can handle some silicone), just a serious mistake.

11. TBlazer07

TBlazer07 Grumpy Grampy

Feb 5, 2009
    I'm now on my 3rd call while the PP guy types yet another email. None of the promised calls have been returned. It's now dark. What I find remarkable is that they have no idea what contractor they dispatched to my home so I can try to directly contact them......

Now the guy tells me it is "DirectSat" but they have no contact number for them. While he's typing an email this time to the DIRECTV ESCALATION DEPT I'm going to Google DirectSat online.

12. hilmar2k

hilmar2k Hall Of Fame

Mar 18, 2007
    There is a difference between being incompetent, and doing something that is incompetent. I have no idea how competent that installer is, but leaving the holes unfilled is most certainly incompetent.

Just like folding my two pair to a pair of tens was stupid (in hind sight), I am by no means stupid. ;)

13. hilmar2k

hilmar2k Hall Of Fame

Mar 18, 2007
    http://www.directsatusa.net/

14. TBlazer07

TBlazer07 Grumpy Grampy

Feb 5, 2009
    Unreal .... Coincidently I just get a call from DirectSAT on my cell and they have to send yet another "request" to a supervisor to contact me. However they don't work after 4PM (it's 5:05PM). I ask "Why didn't you call my home phone" and they tell me it was disconnected. DirecTV gave them an incorrect contact number."

15. Tim Godsil

Tim Godsil Legend

Dec 3, 2007
    Most of the installers I have ever talked to say they will use a roof mount as a last resort due to the holes it leaves, and sealing those holes as in to not let water in.

Get a small peice of plywood, put some sealer on it, and nail it to the roof as a quick fix

16. TBlazer07

TBlazer07 Grumpy Grampy

Feb 5, 2009
    That's their corporate HQ. They don't answer the phone. "Please leave a message etc." Seems they are closed.

17. TBlazer07

TBlazer07 Grumpy Grampy

Feb 5, 2009
    Easy for you to say. Due to severe arthritis in my hands I was barely able to squeeze the silicon tube to put what little I could inside. Aside from that there are roofing nails coming through the plywood on the inside of the attic all around the holes which makes that close to impossible even if my hands were OK. Now the outside holes will be filled with water and freeze so when they eventually show up their patch will be useless.

18. TBlazer07

TBlazer07 Grumpy Grampy

Feb 5, 2009
    He should have left the original base there (as I asked because there are already 2 other bases there from previous dishes). But he said he didn't have an extra one.

Edit ... EVERY HOME in the area around here with Dish or DirecTV have roof mounted ODU's. I have yet to see one mounted any other way.

19. hilmar2k

hilmar2k Hall Of Fame

Mar 18, 2007
    What a mess. Hopefully they can fix it and no damage will be done in the meantime.

20. TBlazer07

TBlazer07 Grumpy Grampy

Feb 5, 2009
    The original technician just called me. He SAYS he filled the holes with CLEAR silicon. With 2 layers of roofing (old and "newer" roof), 1 layer of paper, and a sheet of plywood I wouldn't expect to see bright light through clear silicon but since I can't go up on the roof to confirm or deny it I told him I'll give him the benefit of the doubt. I did stick a wire through it originally and it went through with no resistance whatsoever but the silicon could have still been wet. I just looked at the wire and don't see any silicone but again, I'll give him the benefit of the doubt.

In any case, he said that to satisfy me he would stop by anyway tonight (in the dark) and patch it with roof patcher. I offered to run to Sears and get some and he said he has it on the truck. I don't understand why he didn't use that in the first place.