Tech said Hopper Duo is 4k Capable With Upgraded HDMI...

Discussion in 'Hopper System Support Forum' started by sparky27, Jun 27, 2019.

1. sparky27

sparky27 New Member

Jun 25, 2019
    New Dish member here! I have a question about the Hopper Duo.

I elected to get the Hopper Duo in order to save 5$ a month (DVR fee). I researched the Duo before the tech arrived and I was under the impression that it was not 4k capable unless you paired a 4k Joey to it (and only the Joey tv would be 4k).

The tech who arrived stated that the receiver was in fact capable of 4k if I purchased a 4k capable HDMI cable. He said the freebie HDMI was a cheaper option incapable of delivering 4k. Does anyone know if this is true?

PS. I didn't think only having two tuners would ever be a concern, but I have already been forced to choose between recordings. Still a huge upgrade over not having a DVR though.

2. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    nope
    it's a main chip part, the HDMI output
    cable will not help

sparky27 likes this.
  3. sparky27

sparky27 New Member

Jun 25, 2019
    Well I'm glad I was skeptical of his comment. As a tech I'd think he should know that, but he did know to take his boots off before he entered the carpeted area of my home (without being asked/told). Thanks for answering my question.

4. haub

haub New Member

Jul 20, 2016
    The Hopper Duo is definitely not 4K capable. However, the Hopper Duo can run the 4K Joey. So, its likely you could run the 4K Joey with your 4K TV as planned.

Also, I have found that the throw-in Dish HDMI cables do in fact support 4K. I don't know what version of HDMI cable that Dish supplies with equipment but its at least HDMI 1.4 or greater.

sparky27 likes this.
  5. scooper

scooper Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    Kansas City KS
    Well - you COULD run the 4k Joey, but it will never show a 4K program from Dish - the Hopper 3 uses 4 tuners combined for a 4K channel. And I'm not sure if the 4k Joey is supported by anything but the Hopper 3.

6. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    The 4K Joey works with one feed. I'm not sure where you got that "4 tuners" from. It sounds like someone got confused by the "Sports Bar" mode that combines any four channel (including 4K feeds) as a single 4K channel for presentation on a 4K TV. That consumes 4 tuners. But watching a single 4K channel consumes only one tuner on the host Hopper.

sparky27 likes this.
  7. scooper

scooper Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    Kansas City KS
    Thanks for the correction.

sparky27 likes this.