Tech support--HR44 replacement

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by bnwrx, Jan 12, 2021.

1. bnwrx

bnwrx Icon

Dec 29, 2007
    colorado,...
    Our HR44 died overnite....woke up to the constantly re-booting mode..."blue screen...just a few more seconds...etc" never gets past this part of the re-boot, and then juust starts over. so...called and tried to get to tech support at ATT, since our account was switched to them several years ago....went thru a voice menu for a few minutes until it was just repeating itself...then I responded with "representative", another voice menu and finally connected to tech support. Asked me the usual Q's....was it plugged in? Was it pluggged in to a wall outlet or a power strip? After a while I told the tech it had been going on for about 6 hrs...and after 26 years of their service I concluded it was a faulty HR44 and could we move on to its replacement...He told me he would schedule a service visit to check it out....I said can't we just set up delivery of a new HR unit? After a while he agreed....but then told me it will take a week to get here...I said in the past it was sent with nextday service. He looked in to that and said it was not available....its coming next week and will still cost us $19.95....has already been charged on our account....This is certainly a new Directv since the ATT takeover...Luckily we still have an HR24 and can still view programming....Glad we don't have the minis, we would be without tv service...

2. compnurd

compnurd Hall Of Fame

Apr 23, 2007
    Evans City PA
    replacement equipment never shipped overnight. it was always Ground Service but with them having Warehouses all over the country it usually arrived the next day

Rich likes this.
  3. WestDC

WestDC Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

Feb 9, 2008
    okay you spent 19.95 + all you phone time --What you could have done (seeing how you are starting over anyway --is order a estata box and 2-4 TB drive for less than a $99 service call or your time wasted and never had to call them in the first place. -Just a thought

4. b4pjoe

b4pjoe New Member

Nov 19, 2010
    I assume you don't have the service plan if they are charging you $19.95. With the service plan they do not charge anything. Of course you are ahead without the service plan unless you use it a LOT. :D

5. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    There's also the bi-annual "upgrade" feature of the plan but I'm not sure that has much merit these days.

6. bnwrx

bnwrx Icon

Dec 29, 2007
    colorado,...
    thanks for the reponses...yes no service plan....have'nt needed a new rc'vr in 10 years, so thats $$$ in our pockets. Previously though had rec'vrs sent and rec'd overnite....just sayin....thanks

Dishdude714 likes this.
  7. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    WestDC's suggestion about an external drive is a good one. Let's take it a step further. You are gonna get a refurb that might be old with an old HDD inside it. I suggest putting external drives on just about all replacement DVRs. When you get the replacement it will have a small green label on the underside of the DVR, that will tell you how old the replacement is. If you decide to add an external drive, we can help.

Rich

WestDC and Dishdude714 like this.
  8. bnwrx

bnwrx Icon

Dec 29, 2007
    colorado,...
    So...had some time today...got an email from DTV saying DON"T send back the old HR44....just "recycle" it safely. So, knowing I didn't have to return the old unit, I took it apart...never seen inside one. Took out the hard drive. Had an old HDD that I put in its place. Temporarily hooked it up to the SAT cable and HDMI and plugged in the power. After a minute it formatted the HDD and loaded up all the Directv data and soon I had a picture on the screen. That got me thinking....Took the old Directv HDD, plugged it into my desktop, figured out how to format the drive and did so. Then took the Directv HDD and put it into the DTV chassis, hooked it up and VOILA! it formatted and downloaded the data and is working....devoid of all the old recordings of course. So I'm thinking that on Monday night it tried to get a new softwarte update(maybe) and something caused it to have a corruption and get into that re-booting cycle. Anyway...still wqaiting for the new unit to arrive, they on friday....after that I guess I'll have a 1TB HDD from the old unit that I can use(after formatting).....it killed some time for me today...I saved the email from DTV and printed it out also for backup.

9. harsh

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    DIRECTV DVRs are custom Linux-based DVRs that use off-the shelf computer hard drives. There should be no surprise that the physical drives are usable on both sides.

That said, Windows can't read Linux disk formats and DIRECTV DVRs can't read Windows hard disk formats so they both want to format them to a native file system.

10. NR4P

NR4P Dad

Jan 15, 2007
    Sunny Florida
    I am surprised Directv doesn't want an HR44 back. Have their been other reports of that?

11. compnurd

compnurd Hall Of Fame

Apr 23, 2007
    Evans City PA
    Yes

12. harsh

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    Don't be too surprised. Some of the early HR44 models are in their seventh year of operation. AT&T needs to know that the Genie is likely to last at least through the 24 months of a commitment.

Yes, there have been other reports. Speculation holds that the disinterest is because the HR44 can no longer be activated for 4K.

13. codespy

codespy Go Pack Go!!!! DBSTalk Club

Mar 29, 2006
    Seasonal
    My memory must really be getting bad. I don’t ever recall the ability for a HR44 to do 4K in conjunction with a 4K client. How long ago did Directv stop that as you say?

14. compnurd

compnurd Hall Of Fame

Apr 23, 2007
    Evans City PA
    It was brief. Like maybe 6 months before they changed the requirements

15. makaiguy

makaiguy Icon

Sep 24, 2007
    Aiken, SC
    I don't think you have to worry about your memory at this point, at least not on this issue. General users always needed an HR-54 instead of an HR-44 if you wanted 4K.

I've read there was a brief period when they were beta testing 4K on the 44 and found it couldn't keep up, which caused them to create the 54.

16. bnwrx

bnwrx Icon

Dec 29, 2007
    colorado,...
    UPDATE: Rec'd our replacement HR unit yesterday...they sent an HR54-500 to replace our HR44-500. I hooked up everything as it was on our HR44, A/V cables,Digital audio,AM21,etc...Plugged in the power cord...quick blue screen...Hello...starting up....then it goes into a constant re-boot process....UGH!!!! Tried several times of unplugging the power cord, Red Button Reset, all to no avail. Called DTV Tech support....they tried several ideas, still would not get past the blue screen "just a few more seconds" screen. Tech then scheduled a service call, surprisingly for the afternoon. Kept it plugged in to observe, hoping something would change...it didn't. Got a call from ATT...recorded voice said tech might not show up...do I want to re-schedule? Decided not to. Then tried one more time to try unplugging everything and start over....this time I left the AM21 USB cable unplugged....THAT WAS THE ISSUE!!! the HR54 went thru the normal 1st setup procedure....got it activated....setup wifi and its working fine. An hour later the service tech did show up and took a look....He disconnected the power inserter that the HR44 used...not necessary with the HR54....and said it looked fine....he said the AM21 should work but we did not hook it up as I wanted the HR54 to do all its downloading without interruption...I'll try the AM21 hookup at a later time...it should work right? Don't understand why it confused the HR54 from its initial setup procedure. Anyway Its working this AM and continues to download data...Thanks for all ther info here....

harsh likes this.
  17. harsh

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    4K dropped in mid August of 2015 and the policy changed in mid March of 2016. You were pretty close.

18. compnurd

compnurd Hall Of Fame

Apr 23, 2007
    Evans City PA
    Yes it should work however sounds like your AM21 may have **** the bed

19. codespy

codespy Go Pack Go!!!! DBSTalk Club

Mar 29, 2006
    Seasonal
    I was referencing the use with linear channels, not VOD. Many subs in rural areas didn’t have good broadband if any at all to do 4K VOD. I think the Masters in April, 2016 was the first linear broadcast and would only work with a 54.

20. compnurd

compnurd Hall Of Fame

Apr 23, 2007
    Evans City PA
    104 was available at launch which is all linear content