1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tech Urban Legend??? Please help....

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by SebastianBlack, Mar 15, 2009.

1. SebastianBlack

SebastianBlack AllStar

Oct 8, 2007
    About a week ago in our tech meeting we were told of a procedure in place that automatically generates a service call. The practice is the "Call for Installation Verification Waiver." We were told that if you call for the waiver, DTV triggers a SC within the next 7 days. As a result causing your SIN7 and SIN90 to go up!

Not that I have ever called for a waiver, but is this true?

Good Ole
    SB

2. joe diamond

joe diamond Hall Of Fame

Feb 28, 2007
    A waiver for what? This is HSP eese. Never heard of the term.

Joe

3. RobertE

RobertE New Member

Jun 9, 2006
    Yes.

A call in for a waiver will generate a service call for low signal levels. A waiver for no 2nd line on the DVR does not.

4. joe diamond

joe diamond Hall Of Fame

Feb 28, 2007
    Grrrrrrrrrrrr!

Still not getting a picture. A waiver after an installation? What are you kids doing out there?

Joe

5. Lucifferr

Lucifferr Cool Member

Mar 7, 2009
    When you install an HD/DVR with the latest software, and the signals are below 80% on the 99 and/or 103, the receiver won't let you continue with the rest of the setup until you get the signal higher. However there is an option tab that comes up which tells you to call D* for a "waiver". If the tech has never come across this situation, instead of peaking the dish to get the signals higher, he will call D* for that waiver, thinking that they will send a signal from the other end and let the receiver continue with the setup process. Little does he know that all they do is log the call and tell him to go back up on the roof and peak the dish to get those signals higher.

6. RobertE

RobertE New Member

Jun 9, 2006
    The software on the HR2x & R22s are set to "lock up" part way through the installation if certain conditions are not met. The only way to continue is to correct the issue or get a wavier from ISS. The two major conditions are no 2nd line on the DVR (not on a swm system) and signal levels below a certain threshold for the region.

This was put in to help with guys slamming dishes in and running. From the numbers I have seen, it has done a pretty good job so far. Later this year, it will be rolled out to more models.

7. netraa

netraa Godfather

Mar 27, 2007

The new HD DVR's won't let you activate until your signal levels are above a certain level. If it's raining outside, and your signals are getting hammered because of that, your job stops, right there. OR, you call direct tv, get a waiver, and finish the job, causing a service call, and a sin7.

8. joe diamond

joe diamond Hall Of Fame

Feb 28, 2007
    Now I'm getting a picture...........sin7....is that a good thing?
    For years I have told customers the signal on my receiver thirty miles from their house is below minimums and we won't be able to do the work until conditions improve. This might be five times in ten years.........sin7?

Joe

9. RobertE

RobertE New Member

Jun 9, 2006
    SIN = Service IN x, where x is the number of days since install/upgrade/service.

More BS metrics. SIN0, SIN7, 30, 60, 90.

Just more ways for them to track how/what you are doing. In some places used for pay/promotions/backcharges/etc.

10. joe diamond

joe diamond Hall Of Fame

Feb 28, 2007
    Hmmmmm?

So when in doubt about the weather you just reset the job? I think I would consider carrying a Phase III LNB and an old D-10 to tune things before screwing around with calling DTV. When you are old every day on hold cuts into available time.

You don't still use the call center in India and go through my old pal, slow talking Amad do you?

Thanks,
    Joe

11. Johnnie5000

Johnnie5000 Godfather

Mar 26, 2008
    I know for a fact it generates a QC. Didn't know it generated a SC with it too. F'n IV software.

12. Herdfan

Herdfan Well-Known Member

Mar 18, 2006
    Teays...
    How does this affect self-installs?

I recently installed an R22 for my parents and was not locked out even though their 99/103 signals are in the 70's (it was the best I could get them even with a meter after the installer left them in the 50's).

13. TigersFanJJ

TigersFanJJ Hall Of Fame

Feb 17, 2006
    That's for sure. I tried to get a waiver once but it didn't happen.

I had installed everything and was about to setup the receivers when it started pouring rain. Even with the heavy rainfall, the signals on 99/103 were all above 70%. I called and the guy I talked to wouldn't give the waiver, and on top of that, he was as rude as it gets. He talked to me like I was the biggest p.o.s. out there. I finally got tired of arguing after about a half hour and hung up the phone on him before informing the customer that I'd have to come back after the rain stopped. I went back when the rain moved out a couple of hours later and the signal levels were mid/high 90s.

14. elaclair

elaclair Rescued Racers Live Here

Jun 18, 2004
    Del Mar, CA
    Okay, so let me get this straight. You install a DVR with only one line, say because the customer doesn't want you to drill/tap/string/whatever the second line. You call for the waiver and complete the install. The customer signs off because you did the job to the customer's satisfaction.

Because of the waiver there's a SC generated to have someone come out in a week and say "Yup, one line connected, customer happy"???

15. joe diamond

joe diamond Hall Of Fame

Feb 28, 2007
    Ya know,
    One of the fulfillment companies tried a waiver thing. If you could not connect the phones you were supposed to tell them the reason and they would enter a waiver in the notes. What crap!

So it is back. It is just not that tough to get good signals.......why would a tech not peak a dish?

Joe

16. netraa

netraa Godfather

Mar 27, 2007
    ^^^is exactly what this is about, stopping the hacks that got low 50's and activated anyway.

17. RobertE

RobertE New Member

Jun 9, 2006
    No.

When a waiver is requested for a single line to a dvr (non-swm), the ISS CSR will verify with the customer the limitations of using just a single line. If the customer agrees and understands (which he/she should, as you should have explained it already), the waiver is granted, the install gets completed and life goes on. No rollback is generated.

18. RobertE

RobertE New Member

Jun 9, 2006
    No affect at all on self installs.

19. RobertE

RobertE New Member

Jun 9, 2006
    Nope, no more off shore call centers for me. Have one of the Intermec handheld units. It absolutely rocks. I can (and have) gone a couple of days without 1) Talking to dispatch, 2) Talking/seeing a supervisor, 3) Talking with anyone at DirecTv, & 4) Talking with any off shore call center.

20. joe diamond

joe diamond Hall Of Fame

Feb 28, 2007
    That almost makes me sorry about all the things I have said about HSPs. Almost! They seem to be doing ok without me.

Joe