1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Technical article on DECA

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Connected Home' started by MyDogHasFleas, Apr 20, 2010.

1. MyDogHasFleas

MyDogHasFleas AllStar

Jan 4, 2007
  2. Grentz

Grentz New Member

Jan 10, 2007
    Thanks for sharing ;)

3. hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001 Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2004
    Yes. Thank you.

4. LameLefty

LameLefty I used to be a rocket scientist

Sep 28, 2006
    Middle...
    Good general overview. :)

5. cheesedjdj

cheesedjdj Legend

Jan 20, 2010
    Cool article, thanks for sharing.

6. tkrandall

tkrandall Hall Of Fame

Oct 3, 2003
    By "whole home DVR" I assume the article is referring to the HR24, not the HMC30, correct?

MoCA Takes Spectrum Down a Notch

April 20, 2010 | Jeff Baumgartner
    The Multimedia over Coax Alliance (MoCA) has added midrange frequencies to its 1.1 specification, which is good news for DirecTV Group Inc. (NYSE: DTV) as the satellite giant gets ready to launch its whole-home DVR next month.​

7. BattleZone

BattleZone Hall Of Fame

Nov 13, 2007
    Replace "whole home DVR" with "Multi-Room Viewing" and the article becomes correct. The whole-home DVR is a ways away (likely about a year down the road).

8. BudShark

BudShark New Member

Aug 11, 2003
    Not true (as stated in the other thread).

An HR2x with a partner H2x receiver is just as much a Whole Home DVR as anything else.

Its a DVR, that I can watch from anywhere in my home. Its a whole home DVR. The fact DirecTV *might* be making a box with more tuners and beefier functions does not negate what they are launching in May. They may very well decide multiple HR24s are a better solution than the HMC30... who knows. But its still Whole home DVR.

9. matt

matt New Member

Jan 11, 2010
    You sure keep talking about the whole home thing, I keep seeing it pop up in various threads. You know something we don't? :grin:

10. Richierich

Richierich Hall Of Fame

Jan 10, 2008
    In a closely related Article he mentions the HR24 and the H24 as "The Whole Home" DVR System.

Here is the Two of The First Three Paragraphs: (I deleted one that just talked about Moca)

DirecTV Group Inc. (NYSE: DTV) will begin to market a new line of set-tops with multiroom DVR capabilities by the end of the first quarter, a move that obviously applies pressure on MSOs to hurry up and do the same.

DirecTV hasn't revealed any pricing on the new offering, but noted that the boxes are already in production and should start hitting customer homes in the first quarter. It's believed that two DirecTV box models -- the H24 (an HD box) and the HR24 (the primary HD-DVR) -- will come with those MoCA capabilities on board."

Here is the Link: http://www.lightreading.com/document.asp?doc_id=187043&site=lr_cable

11. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    To me it won't be a Whole Home DVR until I can get a unified ToDo List (or at least separate remote viewing of a To Do list.) and set something to record on one DVR to another DVR. Not saying that's not coming, but those are two things keeping me from calling it a whole home.

12. Richierich

Richierich Hall Of Fame

Jan 10, 2008
    To me it won't be a Whole Home System until I get a Modifiable and Selectable Unified Play List so I can just Select those DVRs that I want to see their respective Recordings showing up in my Unified Play List.

13. BudShark

BudShark New Member

Aug 11, 2003
    Whole Home DVR is NOT based on personal wish lists or multiple DVRs in a home.

It is the standard package of DECA, HR24, H24. I'm confused on why this is so difficult. Look at it from the viewpoint of the 98% crowd, not us.

1 DVR in a house.
    1-3 receivers that can also play content from that DVR and schedule recordings on that DVR.

That is whole home DVR. That is what DirecTV is calling whole home DVR. That is what will be marketed in May as whole home DVR. Lets not confuse things because its lacking some personal feature we want. Its still a whole home DVR.

14. BudShark

BudShark New Member

Aug 11, 2003
    Which will make absolutely no sense once we have single large scale DVRs with 4+ tuners in them. At that point, selectable playlists won't make any sense.

DirecTV is driving to a 1 DVR package. Either an HR24 or someday an HMC30. The rest of us (who have multiple DVRs) are the exception, not the norm. And once they unveil their solution for the HMC30 playlist - I'm sure it will port around to multiple HR households (the few thousand/hundred thousand of us there are).

15. tkrandall

tkrandall Hall Of Fame

Oct 3, 2003
    Are you saying there are less than a million homes with more than one HR2x? I had not thougth about what that number is. I only have one (HR20) at the moment myself but that is only because I only have one HDTV set and I have 2 relatively new perfectly functional conventional CRT TV sets (the darn things won't seem to break down) that have SD DirecTIVOs attached to them. So I have 3 DVRs at the moment and I envision myself having at least two HD DVRs down the line, even with a MRV setup. Two many times when I would want more than 2 streams to record, or perhaps more than one MRV output stream.

16. Beerstalker

Beerstalker Hall Of Fame

Feb 9, 2009
    Peoria, IL

The problem is they have always called this Multi-Room Viewing (or MRV) in the past. Now all the sudden they seem to be changing it around and calling it Multi-Room DVR, and now Whole Home DVR. They need to pick one term and stick with it. Personally I think Multi-Room Viewing makes more sense for this system. The current system allows you to use the DVRs seperately or throughout multiple rooms. The actual tuners in the DVR can only be used in that room though.

The HMC 30 with multiple tuners and clients seems to make more sense as being called a whole home DVR as those tuners are shared throughout the whole home.

17. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    The marketing department has been calling it Whole Home DVR from the start.

18. Richierich

Richierich Hall Of Fame

Jan 10, 2008
    You can't be Serious about Directv coming out any time soon with a Large Scale DVR such as the HMC30 with 4 tuners in it that will satisfy me with 6 DVRs, 12 Tuners, 300 Series Links Ability and 10,000 Gigabytes of Recording Capacity.

Their HMC30 that I saw Demoed at the Entropic Booth in January only had a 1 TB Drive which is what my smallest 3 DVRs have. It will be along time before we see a 3 or 4 TB Drive in the Mother Ship for that Whole Home DVR System and I don't see everyone running out to exchange their current HR2Xs for somthing that Puny.

I wonder how many Series Links it will have as my HR24-500 only has 50 and that is Pathetic nowadays.

That is pretty puny and pathetic in this day and age to support a family or 4 or 5 or 6 people all with different needs and tastes.

Just give me my Selectable Unified Play List and I will be happy.

19. Beerstalker

Beerstalker Hall Of Fame

Feb 9, 2009
    Peoria, IL
    According to the website it's Multi-Room DVR.

http://www.directv.com/DTVAPP/content/directv/technology/multiroom

They really just need to start being more consistent. Like the article earlier this week about the new movie service. One minute the guy says it will be beamed down form the satellite, but then later on he talks about it streaming. To me streaming is playing a slightly buffered stream off of the internet, not playing a locally recorded program that was sent to the DVR by a satellite. Using both terms is just confusing to people.

20. MyDogHasFleas

MyDogHasFleas AllStar

Jan 4, 2007
    To try to put this little dustup to bed, it's clear the original article used the term "Whole Home DVR" to refer to what's being released next month or so (i.e. the H24/HR24/MRV/DECA thing). That's become kind of an industry term.

Each vendor tends to put their own little brand on it. For example U-verse is "Total Home DVR" (I guess "Total" is better than "Whole" ;) ). DirecTV is apparently "Multi Room Viewing". And so on.