1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Teens don't tweet

Discussion in 'The OT' started by phrelin, Feb 9, 2010.

1. Feb 9, 2010 #1 of 25
    phrelin

phrelin Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    I admit I was surprised at this story in MarketWatch:
    Figures.:nono:

2. Feb 9, 2010 #2 of 25
    njblackberry

njblackberry Icon

Dec 29, 2007
    I didn't realize that there were ANY 140-character bursts of news you can actually use.

3. Feb 9, 2010 #3 of 25
    CJTE

CJTE Hall Of Fame

Sep 17, 2007
    depends on who the news is about.
    I could see using this to let others know what's going on with you instead of a mass sms (text) message...

4. Feb 9, 2010 #4 of 25
    Nick

Nick Retired, part-time PITA DBSTalk Club

Apr 23, 2002
    The...
    I do not tweet, therefor, I am not a blowhard? :scratch:

5. Feb 9, 2010 #5 of 25
    BubblePuppy

BubblePuppy Good night dear Smoke... love you & "got your butt

Nov 3, 2006
    :thats:

6. Feb 9, 2010 #6 of 25
    SayWhat?

SayWhat? Know Nothing

Jun 6, 2009
    Why would you do either? What I'm doing is MY business, no one else's.

7. Feb 9, 2010 #7 of 25
    AntAltMike

AntAltMike Hall Of Fame

Nov 20, 2004
    College...
    I still don't, "get" instant messaging. I still have no idea why one would use either "IM" or "twitter" rather than send an e-mail. I mean, its not like there is a composition and transmission time savings like there is between writing and sending a letter versus making a phonecall.

8. Feb 9, 2010 #8 of 25
    BubblePuppy

Nov 3, 2006
    Most txt msging or IMing are done on cell phones. Not everyone can get emails on their cells. Almost everyone can at least txt msg on their cells.

9. Feb 9, 2010 #9 of 25
    SayWhat?

SayWhat? Know Nothing

Jun 6, 2009
    Cell phones are for phone calls.

eMails are for typed messages in place of some hard copy mail, but not all.

Boards like this are for community discussions and sharing ideas.

The rest is impersonal gibberish.

10. BubblePuppy

Nov 3, 2006
    Thankfully, there is something for everyone. I'm glad there is. To each their own.

11. CJTE

CJTE Hall Of Fame

Sep 17, 2007

My dad and I text back and forth atleast a few times a week. Simple, short, messages, help us keep in touch.
    I keep in touch with some of my out of state friends this way too.

Its especially nice when either one of us is in a location where we cant talk (and/or on different time zones).

I see it as embracing new forms of communication...

In regards to another post about Mass Texting (or tweeting), yes, your personal business is your personal business. But what about the news you want to let a lot of people know about? Many more people have cell phones than email addresses. Send a large group of people a text about the dinner party you're throwing, or let a bunch of your friends know that you got that promotion you've been waiting for. Your kid just had a kid of their own!
    Stuff like that. You want to let a lot of your friends know about something at the same time.

Similar to a company who wants to alert their customers on a mass basis? A barrage of emails? That's a lot of bandwidth to push out emails to everyone. Or you can post to a public place of mass gathering like facebook or twitter...

12. Cholly

Cholly Old Guys Rule! DBSTalk Club

Mar 22, 2004
    Indian...
    I occasionally communicate with family members via cell phone texting., but don't engage in lengthy text conversationss. Texting is indeed useful when the recipient is unable to talk on the phone, or for brief messages like "pick up a gallon of milk on your way home".
    On the other hand, It annoys me when my teen grandkids engage in lengthy text conversations with their friends rather than talking on the phone.

13. smiddy

smiddy Tain't ogre til its ogre

Apr 5, 2006
    No twitter here, won't be signing up either, but like a bunch of you, I'm not THAT demographic anyhow, therefore I too am not a blowhard!

14. Getteau

Getteau Icon

Dec 19, 2007
    Houston
    I don't do Twitter or FaceBook, but being in IT I use email and IM on a pretty constant basis. Granted, I don't use IM on my BlackBerry very often (it’s just too hard to type quickly enough). I rarely ever send a text massage on my BlackBerry (that's what email/IM is for).

As to the why use IM:
    * When you are standing in a server room, it's too darn loud to carry on a phone conversation. So I can have a multi-party IM conversation going on with 3 or 4 people to diagnose a problem.
    * It's also easier for me to send an IM to a person than to go figure out where they are so I know what number to call them on.
    * It's a nice way to send web links while you are on the phone troubleshooting an issue.
    * I can carry on 4 or 5 conversations while I am being bored to death on a conference call or when I am in a meeting I don't need to be in.
    * Finally, I just hate talking on the phone. Pretty ironic since I used to work on telephone systems and managed the voice group at my company. My entire family knows that when they call my house, my wife will answer the phone. If I answer it, they are usually stunned.

15. Chris Blount

Chris Blount Creator of DBSTalk Staff Member Administrator DBSTalk Gold Club

Jun 22, 2001
    I mostly do Facebook but limit only to family and friends. I'm very picky about who I let in. I like it because it keeps me in touch with family members I wouldn't otherwise communicate with on a regular basis. The only thing I really hate about Facebook are those dang updates from Farmville and all of the other stupid games people play. I usually "de-friend" those who only play games and don't post anything about themselves.

Twitter to me is a just another form of Facebook and limiting. I don't use it myself except to post DBSTalk stuff.

Text messaging is great for what Cholly mentioned earlier. Short messages that are not worth a phone call.

I use to think e-mail was enough but text messaging is quicker and it's almost certain the person will get your message. E-mails tend to get lost sometimes.

16. sum_random_dork

sum_random_dork Icon

Aug 21, 2008
    I use Twitter but I use it for news updates, updates from my favorite teams writers. For breaking news at least with me it's been great. I can communicate with beat writers and get an answer back in about 5 mins or less usually. I don't use twitter to commuincate with friends or even follow "famous" people, 99% of the people I follow are news type agencies. I do use facebook but have never been into the constant updating, if I am doing something I'll let those I really want to know about it. I don't see a need to spread to the masses that I am running to the store or something.......but hey that's just me.

17. CJTE

CJTE Hall Of Fame

Sep 17, 2007
    If you want to take the time, you can hide all of those annoying updates (by either ignoring the apps all-together, or hovering over one of the updates and clicking 'Hide').
    My father felt the same way (quite annoyed by farmville and all the other apps), and that's how he deals with it.

Agreed, to a sense (about facebook/twitter. Text/Email I definitely agree on). They both offer the friendfeed type service. What's the status of 'X' right now? Twitter is for people who want only that feature, facebook is for people who may/may not enjoy that feature, but want much more 'relationship' wise (the facebook phonebook, photo albums, etc).

18. Doug Gorius

Doug Gorius New Member

Feb 21, 2010
    Twitter is so useless. I don't know why people are so crazy about it.

19. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    I've found a few possible uses. It's bad, but there have been cases I've read about where someone gets better customer service when they tweet to the rep on Twitter. Not necessarily that the person has a lot of followers.

Another one, I'm in IT and if I see problems with users mobile devices, if it's an outage in a city it usually shows up pretty quickly on Twitter. Or if I have trouble accessing Gmail, etc it shows up.

20. Sackchamp56

Sackchamp56 Godfather

Nov 9, 2006
    I found twitter useful during NFL training camp last year. It was interesting to get real time updates from the beat reporters on how the practices were going.