1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tell an idiot (me) what to do here!!

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by coit, Jan 21, 2011.

1. coit

coit Legend

Feb 13, 2007
    OK, so I have not kept up with the marketplace very much with changes to DVRs, etc, since I got my first HD DVR (HR20?) about 2.5 years ago I think, and I got a second HD DVR (HR21?) just over a year ago for my daughter.

So, I want to get two more HD DVRs, and I would like to turn on the whole house networking thing or whatever it is called. I previously had my HR20 networked when it was sitting close to a point on my wired network, but now it is far from a wire. I will have one of the two new units near an Ethernet cable, but the others will not be.

One of my existing units uses B-band converters, the newer one does not.

Every time I deal with DirecTV I have an ordeal. The first time they came out, the installer was far less qualified than he should have been, and did not know how to deal with my two multiswitches (I am wired for 5 locations, and will be going up to 6 or 7 ultimately). The second time, they installer was doing a new run of cable, clearly indicated to DTV when I ordered, and the installer insisted that I had to pay him an additional $50. I felt I had no choice but to pay, and then never took the time to take it up with DTV afterwards.

So, here I am. I'm sure I could figure this out if I searched and searched, and please forgive me for not taking the time, but I have looked before, and I'm just confused. Everyone seems to be worried about getting the latest and greatest -100 or -700 or whatever, and I don't know what I should want in that area, but I do know that I want two more receivers, and I want them to work, and I want them to be networked to each other.... And I don't want there to be issues with my multiswitches (which were originally installed with the 4 DirecTivos I got like 6-7 years ago). For that first HD install, the guy was at my house for over 6 hours....

Per the DTV site, I can get one receiver for $99, and the 2nd is $199. I'm not sure why they cost so much, my first one was free, and my second one was like $49, and I got some sort of service credit to pay for that.

So, what do I do, who do I call, and what do I tell them so that I don't get stuck getting the wrong stuff, and the installer not bringing what he needs to do the job?

Thanks!

2. hilmar2k

hilmar2k Hall Of Fame

Mar 18, 2007
    You should have DIRECTV come out and install WHDVR (whole home DVR) service, which will include and upgrade to SWM (thus eliminating the second line requirement for the DVRs and the BBC's). They can/will install the new HD DVRs at the same time. The prices you quoted for them are about right. The only think you want to ensure is that the Cinema Connection Kit is included if you ever want to utilize On Demand.

3. coit

coit Legend

Feb 13, 2007
    So, the SWM will work with ANY receiver? How about the old DirecTivos?

And, is there a charge for the WHDVR service or the Cinema Connection?

4. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    I'd second this. Even if you don't think Whole Home is for you, the odds are great that you'll come to depend on it just as you do now. It's also the cheapest way to get all your switches and large parts of your wiring replaced with the latest and greatest.

5. coit

coit Legend

Feb 13, 2007
    OK, so if I already have 2 HD DVRs, and I get the WHDVR service, I don't have to buy any more DVRs, right? I can just get HD receivers?

6. CorkyMuldoon

CorkyMuldoon Godfather

Oct 6, 2006
    That's correct. The HR20 and HR21 you now have will support WHDVR service. You'll be able to stream from them with WHDVR service to a non-DRV STB.

The only restriction is that you can only have one live stream from any given DVR at a time - but that's it!

7. coit

coit Legend

Feb 13, 2007
    Under the WHDVR scenario, are all the boxes networked through the Coax, with just one connection to a wired network?

The Cinema plus stuff on their site seems to want you to install wireless access points to each receiver or something?

Again, sorry for the stupid questions, but I'd rather be asking them of you guys than DirecTV reps...

8. Stuart Sweet

Jun 18, 2006
    Yes, that's it exactly. One internet connection used by all receivers.

9. coit

coit Legend

Feb 13, 2007
    OK, so why did Hillmar2k say I needed a Cinema Connection Kit?

Did he just mean I have to make sure at least one of the units is connected to the internet?

10. Stuart Sweet

Jun 18, 2006
    The Cinema Connection Kit is the one connection to the internet that all the receivers share. It acts as a bridge between your home router and the coax network.

11. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    This is a simple setup, and you can have more receivers than this, but it gives an idea:

[​IMG]

these don't work with this system.

12. Stuart Sweet

Jun 18, 2006
    If you have a Directivo or any other fairly old receiver, you'll need a separate SWiM as opposed to the one built into the dish. Those have some support for legacy receivers.

13. hilmar2k

hilmar2k Hall Of Fame

Mar 18, 2007
    But those receivers should be upgraded (to a SWM compatible receiver) as part of the WHDVR upgrade.

14. Stuart Sweet

Jun 18, 2006
    Speaking specifically of the Directivo, I'm not sure what the policy is on that particular family. DIRECTV went through hoops in years past to get people to give up their HR10s (since they now receive essentially zero HD programming over satellite) but as for the older SD stuff, I'm not sure how they'd handle it. And if you're still faithful to your HDVR2, R10 or other TiVo, do you want to give it up at this point?

15. coit

coit Legend

Feb 13, 2007
    Yeah, I was wondering about being able to keep 1 DirecTivos connected, it has two lines running to it, could it be routed without using the SWM? I use it for Slingbox only.

So, can the connection of the Whole Home network to the internet be made by an ethernet cable from my network into the ethernet port on one of the receivers, or will I have to have one of those $80 boxes?

Is this going to cost me a bunch of money? I didn't see any pricing on their site, only the note that I should call them for more information...

16. Stuart Sweet

Jun 18, 2006
    The basic install will set you back $149 I think.

You cannot use the ethernet port on a receiver to provide networking to other receivers. You will need a Cinema Connection Kit. I think that if you get it at the same time as the Whole Home Install, it's included in the price.

17. Stuart Sweet

Jun 18, 2006
    Oh and as for the Directivo, the only way to keep it in would be to either put in a separate SWiM or use a second dish on your house just for that. As I said, you'd have to talk to DIRECTV to see if they could upgrade you to a SWiM-capable R16 DVR or if they would include the separate SWiM. I'm not sure what their policy is on that.

18. coit

coit Legend

Feb 13, 2007
    Wow, thanks to all the helpful advice guys! I now will be halfway educated on what I need when I call them.

19. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    You might go thru all the installs of the receivers and find out that you would have preferred DVRs rather than receivers. After the initial cost, the monthly costs are the same, I think. And the HR DVRs just do so much more for your viewing pleasure. Might well be money well spent, and with the new install you'd probably get the new HR24s.

Rich

20. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    Didn't the basic install jump up to $199 in November? Has it gone back down? Of course with DirecTV, most of the charges will vary based on the customer and the CSR.