1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

tell me again, why not just have cable

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by dbldown768, Sep 10, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dbldown768

dbldown768 Cool Member

Aug 20, 2007
    So of course the installation of an additional receiver did not go very well. I have 2 receivers, one standard and one HD (HR20) receiver. All i wanted was to install and additional standard receiver in my home. Well i have the 5 lnb dish on the roof, and i mentioned to the CSR that i would need a special multi-switch to get installed for the additional receiver. of course she said she doesnt need to know that, that everything will be on the work order, and the first thing the installer says when he gets there, is that he doesnt know if he has the right one in the truck.

Then this guy unconnected all the wires in my attic, and now nothing is working, my cable internet or the satellite. A supervisor shows up and suggest the problem with the switch is because on the initial install of the dish, they only brought in 2 wires instead of 4, and now the HD receiver cant connect to 2 different satellites. They tried to reconnect everything and of course the installer doesnt know how to reconnect my over the air antenna, because that didnt work anymore - i had to reconnect everything myself.

the supervisor called back 1 hour after he was there and suggested he would maybe come by the next morning, however i never even heard from him all day the next day.

So what was supposed to be an install of an additional receiver, nothing got done. The supervisor failed to notify DTV about it and they know nothing. Now i have to wait again for some other idiot to come out to the house to try and fix the problem.

sometimes it seems easier just to have a cable company run 1 line in and split it to any room in the house.

so what switch is supposed to be installed so i can supervise their work?

2. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    The answer with "I have 2 receivers," is "none", since the dish has four outputs to feed what you have now.

3. dbldown768

dbldown768 Cool Member

Aug 20, 2007
    well i have 2 receivers now, and want to add a 3rd. but i only have 2 wires coming in from the satellite from the initial install - i dont know why. they suggest that was done wrong.

4. Badger

Badger Legend

Jan 30, 2006
    You need 2 lines to your HR20 and 1 line to each of your standard receivers. Total of 4 lines. The 5 lnb dish has 4 outputs so you should just need 4 lines coming in and going to the receivers. No multiswitch needed. I have the same setup as you as far as receivers.

5. dbldown768

dbldown768 Cool Member

Aug 20, 2007
    sorry, i guess i only have the H20, not the HR20... i dont have a PVR from dish.

why are all these installers such idiots! i dont get why i have to learn everything about the setup and tell them how to do the work.

6. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    One line for each tuner. When you exceed four, then a multi-switch will be added for the additional feeds.

7. Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    At this point, as VOS points out, you do not need a switch: 1 HR20 + 2 non-dvr receivers is 4 tuners which the 5lnb dishes can handle directly.

But they must either remove your existing switch or replace it with a Zinwell WB68.

OTA can be diplexed into the individual lines, but it is strongly suggested to run a separate OTA feed. Simpler, less signal degradation, fewer parts to have problems with.

Good luck,
    Tom

8. Tom Robertson

Nov 15, 2005
    Yes, that is a big wrong. 4 coax needs to be run from the dish to the switch, or in your case to the receivers.

Cheers,
    Tom

9. Cable Lover

Cable Lover Legend

Jun 19, 2007
    Cable is much better.

10. Tom Robertson

Nov 15, 2005
    :) How many NFL games did your cable company carry this weekend?
    How many HD channels will you have at the end of the month?
    What are your monthly fees for 9 DVRs?

Cheers,
    Tom

11. monetnj

monetnj Legend

Sep 28, 2004
  12. JDubbs413

JDubbs413 Icon

Sep 4, 2007
    I had cable for 13 years. Bought an HDTV this February. Had HDTV with Time Warner Cable until September 5th. Had DirecTV and HDTV since and despite some minor technical issues on my end, which I just fixed and have 100% perfect picture.

HDTV with DirecTV > HDTV with Cable by a long shot. That is without the new HD channels.

13. Doug Brott

Doug Brott Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Jul 12, 2006
    Los Angeles
    I've been completely cable free since 2003 and Television cable free since 1999. I'm much happier now :).

14. JLucPicard

JLucPicard Hall Of Fame

Apr 27, 2004
    Do we happen to have a designated "DirecTV Lover" who goes into the cable forums and posts "DirecTV is better" in every thread where someone is analyzing service providers? I've never been in any cable forums so I don't know, but I do wonder what some people are trying to accomplish. :D

15. Tom Robertson

Nov 15, 2005
    In a thread with a title such as this, I don't mind a concise commentary of someone's opinion. That is what we're all about. Since the poster isn't in the habit of spamming, this isn't a problem.

To your point, I don't know why someone feels compelled to spam, spam, spam a singular opinion without regard to thread topic. That concept escapes me.

Cheers,
    Tom

16. DarkAudit

DarkAudit Godfather

Sep 10, 2007
    At the very least, this thread explained why I'd need more cable coming from the dish itself if I replaced one of my two H20s with a DVR unit instead.

17. Tom Robertson

Nov 15, 2005
    Very happy we could help. :)

Cheers,
    Tom

18. lwilli201

lwilli201 Hall Of Fame

Dec 22, 2006
    Missouri
    If you have cable, you can not take your friends and family out and show off your satellite dish. :D :D It is a lot more cool than a cable strung from a nearby utility pole.

19. gully_foyle

gully_foyle Hall Of Fame

Jan 18, 2007
    Los Angeles
    How do you know that the same guy doesn't do cable, too? Or someone worse? Is this something a small bribe to the installer will fix?

20. uscboy

uscboy Godfather

Sep 5, 2006
    I hope you don't have a Dish PVR since you're a DirecTV customer. ;)

Or maybe you do have REALLY bad installers. heh.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.