TERK RF Modulator not working? Not recieving any DISH signal through it?

Discussion in 'DISH™ OTA Support and Discussion Forum' started by sherilj, Apr 14, 2014.

1. sherilj

sherilj New Member

Apr 14, 2014
    indianapolis
    I recently bought my first HD TV. Great, except it meant having to switch my DISH DVR to the living room, as only the DVR had the HD cable hookup. I thought, well, I'm an engineer, how hard can this be. The TERK RF Modulator went into the spare room, where the DVR had been. We switched the cables outside too, so the proper signal was coming in to the proper set. Plugged the input into the RF Modulator, it into the VCR, and VCR into the TV. Well, VCR is says it is getting no input- it can't add channels because no input. Connecting modulator directly to TV doesn't do it either. No matter what the hookup I have black screen and snow on the tv. Green light on Modulator is not lit, suggesting it is getting no power, but it is plugged in, and to same strip as the VCR and TV. Even tried switching outlets. No change. Installation and system setup DISH screens (on the new tv) are showing both tv's as getting signal, no problems. Now, the modulator setup info on the DISH screens are still showing the modulator attached to TV 1, or at least, it is listed in the same box as TV 1, which is the new tv in the living room. I don't get it. Any suggestions, other than the $149 service call to have the system re-installed by DISH?

2. Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon Roving Reporter Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    Hi, and welcome... without knowing a lot more about your actual cabling it is hard to say for sure. Generally speaking, though, it sounds like you may need to do more re-cabling than you actually have done.

I can't speak to your actual configuration, but I'll give you an example of one that I had years ago.

I had a ViP622 in my living room, and was using a back-feed from the ViP 622 to feed another room. I did not have additional cables ran, so here is how that worked...

I had a diplexor at the ViP622 that combined the RF modulated output to the coax from the satellite... then outside the house I had two more diplexors... one split that RF modulated output back to its own cable, and another that re-combined it to another room's satellite feed. Lastly, in the room where I used the RF modulated feed, I had a final diplexor to split the signal again for my TV.

Now... IF I ever wanted to move that ViP receiver to another room and keep the RF modulated feed intact... I would have had to move the diplexor at the ViP622, and at minimum the diplexor outside that connected to where that ViP 622 used to be. Other diplexor moves might have been required depending on what else I did.

Now... I don't know how your TERK RF Modulator plays into the mix... or if you had additional coax to the room for the RF modulated output OR if you were using diplexors to combine/share the signal over the satellite line... either or both of those could mean there are still more things for you to relocate or re-cable in order to get things working again.

3. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    Or quite possibly a whole lot less "wiring" depending on which model HD DVR it is.

If it is a ViP 6xx or ViP722, the modulator is probably duplicated effort.

If the TS is trying to backfeed with a Genie, all sorts of troubles are possible.

4. sherilj

sherilj New Member

Apr 14, 2014
    indianapolis
    Thanks for the fast response!! Unfortunately I don't know enough about the components you are describing to follow what you are saying. Doh!!! Sorry!! The setup I had originally was installed by DISH. Outside one cable from the dish reciever to a splitter that sends one signal to the living room and another to the spare room. We switched these out so that the respective signals would still go to the respective devices when we swapped the devices to allow me to connect the HD cable from the new TV to the DVR. The only new cable added to the mix was the HD cable, from the new TV to the DVR/reciever. The RF Modulator used to be in the living room, and it did exactly what it is doing now, just in a different room- recieving signal from the satellite and sending it into a VCR which is in turn sending it to an older tv. Well, at least, it is set up the same way, in a different room. I kind of can't see where I COULD add additional cables.
    I may have to knuckle under and call DISH for an appt. The dvd player that is also in the mix in the living room also does not like the set up, It plays, but has no sound, and I have tried every possible arrangement. It was fine with the old tv, in the DISH to RF Modulator, and RF Modulator out to tv and vcr, then VCR to DVD. We now have it connected directly to the TV- tried all kinds of cables thinking maybe that was the issue (the tv can accept almost anything). No dice.

5. sherilj

sherilj New Member

Apr 14, 2014
    indianapolis
    Harsh, the DVR is VIP722K. But, the other TV doesn't work without the RF Modulator either, I tried it. Tried feed directly to TV, to TV through Modulator, and through Modulator to VCR to TV. I'm really wondering if the dang Modulator just died on me, and I just need to replace it to fix things. But I'm bothered by the DISH setup screen that shows it in the same box with TV1, which is the one in the living room, with the DVR.

6. RBA

RBA Well-Known Member

Apr 14, 2013
    TEXAS
    Call DISH and save your self a lot of grief, you don't have any idea what you are doing pay for someone who knows how to setup audio/video distribution.

7. Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon Roving Reporter Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    Still hard to tell what is going on... especially with that RF modulator. It's not really clear how things were wired when they worked, and how things are different now... and if you are admittedly just as confused yourself, you probably are going to have to find someone who knows better. If you have a friend or family member locally, you might could save a service call... otherwise you'll probably end up having to get Dish to send someone out there to sort things out.

8. jsk

jsk Icon

Dec 27, 2006
    Fallston, MD
    Why can't you use the home distribution port from the 722K instead of using the external Turk modulator? I wonder if the installer was trying to sell you something you didn't need. The only reason I could see using a modulator, is if it was a HD modulator sending TV1 to other TVs. That would have cost about $2K for an HD modulator. Can you give us a model number?

Bottom line, try this: Unplug the cable going out of the modulator and plug it into the home distribution port on the 722K. Hit MENU 6, 1, 5 and note which channels it says for TV1 & TV2. Also, note if it says Air or cable. You may change these, if you want. Then, configure your TVs to either air or cable (depending on what it said on the previous screen) and tune to the channel for TV1 and TV2 and you should see a SD picture.