terminating a splitter

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by tonyc, Dec 31, 2013.

1. tonyc

tonyc Legend

Jun 12, 2006
    Anaheim,CA
    ok i had a hardwired internet connection to my genie the cat 5 wire in the attic got damaged i don't have the tools or time right now to fix it so i got a wireless CCK from directv installed it works fine.
    i had two coax lines from a splitter ,one to the Genie and one for the home connection adapter (deca) i no longer need the second line now (no deca )so i want to remove the second cable from the splitter do i have to cap it (terminate it)

i have a swim16 and one four way splitter
    one HR34 and two mini clients

2. inkahauts

inkahauts Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2006
    Um, not real clear on what your set up is if yo had an external deca in the first place. I'd have hooked up the DIRECTV Wireless Boradband Internet Connection Kit to that personally rather than to the HR34 via Ethernet (at least that sounds like how you hooked it up). But no matter what you can't leave unterminated ports on your system.

Did you used to have a lot different system. Not sure why you'd have a swim 16 with that setup.

3. tonyc

tonyc Legend

Jun 12, 2006
    Anaheim,CA
    i had 3 R16's before and they replaced the multi switch with a swim 16
    i have one line that comes from a splitter to the CCK than a nother cable connecting to the genie
    no need for any adapter. so now i have an extra line from the splitter i don't need

4. tonyc

tonyc Legend

Jun 12, 2006
    Anaheim,CA
    how could i have done it that way?

5. inkahauts

inkahauts Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2006
    Wait, so you ave the coax going to the DIRECTV Wireless Boradband Internet Connection Kit and then from that to the HR34? Perfect, leave it alone. ;) just terminate the one that's not used anymore and your set.

6. tonyc

tonyc Legend

Jun 12, 2006
    Anaheim,CA
    yes that is right , thank you for your help