1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Terminating red splitter port with SWM-16

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by slice1900, Feb 20, 2013.

1. slice1900

slice1900 Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2013
    Iowa
    I'm upgrading my legacy system to a pair of SWM-16s tomorrow and have everything I need, but while planning it all out I found I have one question I'm not certain about. I know the PI-29's "power to SWM" port should connect to the DC/PWR port on the SWM-16, and the SWM-16's SWM1/PWR and SWM2 ports go to the "in" port on the splitter.

In that configuration, I don't think DC should ever hit the splitter from either direction. Additionally, that output only passes DC IN anyway, so it wouldn't matter even if if DC was getting fed into the splitter because it wouldn't pass to that port anyway. So I can't see any reason why I can't terminate it, but wanted to double check since I've read dire warnings about terminating a red port in different circumstances.

2. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    All open ports off a splitter should be terminated.

"BTW" the power passing port on the splitter doesn't have a diode, so it passes DC in both directions.