1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Termination of service

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by Jdavis37, Jul 10, 2011.

1. Jdavis37

Jdavis37 Mentor

Oct 24, 2006
    After several years with DISH it is time to move over to Direct ( my contract has been fulfilled for quite some time ). Biggest reasons are the new customer savings plus the free NFL Sunday ticket ( assuming we have a season ). Just too much savings to pass up. Overall I have been very pleased with DISH and their hardware.

I "chatted" with a CSr about returning the equipment and did not get very clear info regarding how it is returned. He acted like they did not want the actual dish back but did want the LNBF returned. They also acted odd about the switch and at the end suggested all that could be waived.

I was surprised that they did not send people out to get their equipment and will call on Monday to ask again. Anyone who has terminated their service who can share their experience would be appreciated. Thx!

2. boba

boba Hall Of Fame

May 23, 2003
    You are leasing the equipment from them. DISH would like to recover as much as possible at as low a cost as possible. The receivers will cost you $15 each to return if you use their shipping label, the LNB and switch can be waived if you complain about difficulty accessing them but what value to you if you no longer have service. The dish costs more to remove and return than it is worth to them, you always get to keep it.

3. Jdavis37

Jdavis37 Mentor

Oct 24, 2006
    Thx.. first time I have terminated a Satellite service and was just surprised they did not want th dish back. I probably have the boxes the receivers came in though $15 each won't be that much more than I can ship for myself. I'll call and get a waiver for the other items. Thx :)

4. BattleZone

BattleZone Hall Of Fame

Nov 13, 2007
    Dishes aren't reused, and the cost of shipping steel parts back is far more than they'd be worth. Then there is the issue of people causing damage to their homes by removing the dish and then trying to submit damage claims to the company. Not worth it to recover $5 or less worth of steel.

5. Jdavis37

Jdavis37 Mentor

Oct 24, 2006
    Thx Battle... just surprised me though in hindsight perhaps it shouldn't have. Still, asking homeowners to remove the LNB and any switches to return seems a bit much, seeing that the average homeowner does good to use the remote control at times ( am being somewhat facetious ). Getting mine off the house won't be simple but guess I don't have much to worry about if the dish will be scrapped anyway, except for house damage and damage to me! I would think this would be reason enough for them to remove the equipment, even if it were a charge to do so. But good info and I'll proceed in that manner! Just hope I don't regret leaving them as my hardware is working fine!

6. BattleZone

BattleZone Hall Of Fame

Nov 13, 2007
    Though DirecTV doesn't offer the service at all, Dish *will* perform an uninstall if you ask them to. It's a paid service call, essentially, but the tech will come and remove the dish (minus the foot if it's sealed to the roof, as I mentioned earlier) and any cabling you want gone. It's just that few people are willing to pay for this service, even though it is available.

7. Mark Martin

Mark Martin Cool Member

Nov 12, 2009
    Requesting you to remove and return the LNB seems a little to demanding to me. When I left DirecTV after being a 10 year customer they sent me a box with a shipping label and requested I send only my receivers back. It did not cost me anything to leave.

8. Insipid

Insipid New Member

Jul 11, 2011
    If you have the service plan, maybe your service call will run you $15 bucks, which would also potentially save you on returning multiple receivers and cover de-installation.

Just a thought.

9. coldsteel

coldsteel Hall Of Fame

Mar 29, 2007
    Nope, de-installs are OOW work, so would always be $95.

10. Jdavis37

Jdavis37 Mentor

Oct 24, 2006
    Thx again. Is time for me to call and make the change. Again I've enjoyed DISH and their service and quality has been very good. I also like the fact they can tell you what hardware you are leasing versus wait until it arrives. But the $400+ of savings and NFL Sunday Pass ( assuming there is a season ) for free is too much to pass up!

11. TulsaOK

TulsaOK New Member

Feb 23, 2004
    And if there isn't a season??? :)

12. Jdavis37

Jdavis37 Mentor

Oct 24, 2006
    Then I'll have to be happy with the $400 in savings.... will be interesting to see what D* does in that event since they have promised paying Season Ticket people a credit. I feel pretty certain there will be a season but who knows. When there is that much money at stake ( $9+ billion ) everybody seem miserable!

Anyhow, again thx for the replies on how DISH handles returns. I'll call and get a waiver for the LNB and switch.

13. TulsaOK

TulsaOK New Member

Feb 23, 2004
    Here's hoping you're (not your) right. :)
    Good luck.

14. Jdavis37

Jdavis37 Mentor

Oct 24, 2006
    I feel confident there will be a complete season. It's smoke and mirrors at present time and the thought of losing millions of dollars is now in front of both the billionaires and the millionaires. I think we'll have hand shake settlement in place before the 21st. Hall of Fame game may be sacrificed but who really cares on that one.

I liked DISH a lot.. great service, great picture quality, no complaints. But did sign up with D* today after confirming my contract had indeed expired. Will save me over $1300 for the next 24 months. Just too much savings. Customer loyalty with DISH offered me 3 months of NFL redzone for free to stay. Do hope it works out for us as DISH has been very good and I would recommend them to anyone without hesitation.

15. lparsons21

lparsons21 Hall Of Fame

Mar 4, 2006
    Herrin, IL
    How the heck are you seeing a savings of $1300+ over 24 months with the switch? Best I come up with is about $450 or so, plus whatever value the NFL stuff is worth.

16. Jdavis37

Jdavis37 Mentor

Oct 24, 2006
    I am waiting for the confirmation email to arrive but confirmed the pricing 3 times over the phone. I am currently paying about $130 per month on DISh though in fairness that does include Showtime which I will drop after the 1st 3 months. I was quoted The Ultimate package with whole house DVR service and 3 receivers for a total of $67.98 per month 12 includes the protection plan ). HBO was included in this price. After 12 months it goes up to $81.98 per month. Full $31 per month rebate applies first 12 months and a partial rebate for 2nd 12 months. They waived all hardware fees ( online for 2 HD DVRs and an HD receiver they wanted $148 upfront ). Thus my first 12 months savings is roughly $63 per month and my 2nd 12 months savings is roughly $49 per month compared to my current pricing with DISH.

It still seems too cheap for me to believe so am , again, waiting for the confirmation email. Will post to confirm them. Seems bottomline you get bette pricing after they do the credit check via the phone than they offer on line. Glad now I called.

Course the CSR first said they were installing HR20i receivers but would switch them to HR24's.. think we know what that promise is worth. Just hope the pricing holds!

17. Jdavis37

Jdavis37 Mentor

Oct 24, 2006
    I was lied to.... now waiting for a supervisor to call me to see if any of this can be resolved. The CSR lied about 3 things.... we'll see!

18. lparsons21

lparsons21 Hall Of Fame

Mar 4, 2006
    Herrin, IL
    Curious to know what was different in your email confirmation. I thought your figures seemed way out of line with what I had been reading about.

19. Jhon69

Jhon69 Hall Of Fame

Mar 27, 2006
    Central San...

My suggestion to you is don't put the cart in front of the horse,in other words don't disconnect Dish Network until you try and are happy with what you thought you would receive.Remember until you sign the contract you are not committed,plus never sign until all obligations have been received and you are satisfied.Good Luck!:)

P.S. Reccommend you demand and have installed a HR24.;)

20. Jdavis37

Jdavis37 Mentor

Oct 24, 2006
    This is still a work in progress and is mostly a matter of having been lied to. The natur eof my professional is to require repeat backs on things said to ensure good communication. I did this during the phone call 3 times on each item so I feel confident the communication both ways was proper.

While the CSR said he could ensure HR24's i did not exactly believe that based upon the many posts here. But the CSR promised me (a) 2 HD DVR receivers plus 1 HD receiver with all charges waived ( online this is a $148 plus taxes upcharge ). He also stated I would have HBO included for all 24 months at no extra charge ( not just the 3 free months for the 4 pay channels per online deal ), and lastly I would receive a full rebate for the first 12 months followed by a partial rebate for the final 12 months.

When the email confirmation arrived, it has 1 HD DVR, 1 HD receiver and 1 Sd receiver. The free HBO was nowhere to be seen, nor was the partial rebate for months 13 through 24.

I called customer service last night and the first CSR I spoke with seemed to be concerned and wanted to help. He said he would connect me to a sales supervisor/manager to help resolve things and then I was routed back to the call in menu. I started again, new CSR and she was less "helpful" but very willing to change my order to include the receiver upcharges, no dice on the HBO deal and no partial rebate. She said she was sorry for the original CSR's "misstatements" ( aka lies ) and was very reticent to connect me to a supervisor.

I'll probably call back shortly. I truly do not want something for nothing, and while the over the fone deal sounded very good it was only after I had accepted the terms given my SSN # and credit card that I ran the numbers and went wow, what a difference calling versus signing up on line. Now I am mostly ticked at having been lied to and want to speak with someone to ask them to find the recording of the conversation and listen to it and then discuss our options. A bad experience upfront doesn't make me feel great about service after they have my money and contract. I'm reasonable in general but would like some recognition for the falsehoods told to me during the conversation. This is like pure bait and switch. Hopefully, someone will want to discuss what happened with me!