1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

terrible service

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by Noncom23, Jun 17, 2012.

1. Noncom23

Noncom23 New Member

Oct 30, 2011
    Can anyone recommend an independent sat repair service in Dallas?
    Really getting poor response from Direct TV. They came out and screwed
    up a connection move and now won't come back for a week!

Thx ahead.

2. carl6

carl6 Moderator Staff Member DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    Unable to suggest anyone in Dallas, but if you tell us a bit more about the specifics of the problem we might be able to help you fix it yourself.

3. Noncom23

Noncom23 New Member

Oct 30, 2011
    In essence, they came out and put a splitter om my LR connection and ran
    twin coax outside to my MBR, through the wall to that HD converter. Now I
    have a code 771 searching for Sat in 1 or 2 in greater than 65% of my
    channels. Code 42 when I run through sat settings. That is supposedly sat direction, but they never went on the roof. I replaced the beta boxes in the
    LR because I had them and no help.

When I connect the LR converter direct and bypass the new splitter,
    I get nothing in the LR.
    Any suggestions? Thx ahead.

4. carl6

Nov 15, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    Probing for a bit more information now...

You have two locations with DirecTV equipment, living room and bedroom, correct? Previously you only had living room and you added the MBR?

Please answer each of these questions:
    1. What model is each receiver (H22-100, HR24-500, etc.)?
    2. Is there one coax, or four coax, coming down from your dish?
    3. What are the "beta boxes" you refer to in the living room?
    4. When you refer to the "LR converter", are you referring to the DirecTV receiver/DVR?

There are two different types of dishes that can be used, and part of what I'm trying to figure out is which one you have (the 1 coax or 4 coax question).

If there is only 1 coax from the dish, can you describe where it goes? If this is the case (only 1 coax), it should go to a power inserter device that is plugged into AC power. If there are 4 coax from the dish, then I would expect two of them would be routed to each of your two viewing locations (and there would be no power inserter).

There are two different types of gadgets that could be connected behind your receiver (which are probably what you call beta boxes). One is a b-band converter and the other is a DECA. The b-band converter will have a short coax pigtail on one end and a coax connector on the other end, and no other connections. The DECA module will also have an ethernet connector on it, as well as some LED indicators. Maybe this will help you tell us which it is you have.

The splitter they put in, is it really a splitter, or is it a multiswitch? A splitter should only have one input and two or more outputs. A multiswitch will have 4 or 6 inputs and probably 8 outputs. If you have a multiswitch, how many coax are connected to the inputs?

5. Noncom23

Noncom23 New Member

Oct 30, 2011
    Sorry, yes b-band converters.Yes multiswitch with two coaxes to the input side, four to the output side.
    I have a Slimline oval dish, but will have to confirm lines out. The bedroom did have an incoming dual coax with the same HD-DVR, but I was switching it to
    the opposite end of the room. Cooler under the A/C duct.
    Both converters are H22-100 HD-DVR's. any and all coaxes from the dish
    Go into the attic to a separate multiswitch.

6. peds48

peds48 Genius.

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    Hmm, it looks like they installed a 3x4 multiswitch. Can you confirm the model number of this switch?

7. Noncom23

Noncom23 New Member

Oct 30, 2011
    Yes, i will verify
    that switch this pm.
    Thank You!

8. carl6

Nov 15, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    The coax from the dish goes to a multiswitch in the attic (I'm sure 4 coax lines), and from that switch two lines go to your living room and two lines go to the old bedroom location.

You had the bedroom DVR moved, and what the installer did was put in a multiswitch in the living room, ran the two incoming coax to the inputs of that multiswitch, then ran two coax from that switch to the living room DVR and two coax from that multiswitch to the new bedroom location. Did I get that right?

No matter what model of multiswitch was installed in the living room, it won't work. What you can do to temporarily fix this is take that new multiswitch out and run the two coax that come from the dish to the living room back into the living room DVR (with b-band converters). That will get the living room working again. To get the bedroom working again, you are going to have to extend the two original coax to the new location (or move the DVR back to where it was).

The problem is, you must have all 4 coax from the dish going to the input of the multiswitch. It won't work with just 2 coax coming in. If you want an explanation of why, you can read the Dish & Multiswitch FAQ at this link: http://hr20.dbstalk.com/docs/Dish,%2...able FAQ.pdf

Long term solution (when an installer comes back): You have two options. One is to run the coax to the new bedroom location from the original multiswitch in the attic. That is what should have been done. The other is to change the dish LNB type to SWiM, then use an actual splitter in the living room to feed both DVR's using a single coax.

And yes, I totally agree with your thread title, terrible service. The installer who did your work did not know what he was doing.

9. Noncom23

Noncom23 New Member

Oct 30, 2011
    Wow! What a great analysis! Yes, you
    have all above correct.
    I will try again to lose the multiswitch
    in th LR. Did it quickly last night with
    no luck. Ok, can I change to SWiM
    myself, or just call a local service?

10. carl6

Nov 15, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    To change to SWiM you need to have the LNB assembly in the dish replaced, so it requires both parts and labor (at the dish). Or, optionally, the multiswitch in your attic can be replaced with an SWM8 multiswitch. DirecTV probably won't do that (provide an SWM8).

You really do need to get an installer back out there, and get them to do the job correctly. Whether they wire correctly from the multiswitch in your attic, or switch you over to SWM, will be up to them - either way will fix the problem. Assuming you paid for the service call you had, there should be no charge for someone to come out and fix it for you.

11. Noncom23

Noncom23 New Member

Oct 30, 2011
    My thx to all! Yes it is a 6 by 8 Multiswitch.
    I have a service man, independent, coming tomorrow
    night. Whatever the outcome, I will report back with
    the information.

12. Noncom23

Noncom23 New Member

Oct 30, 2011
    The independent tech came out and was shocked at the mess.
    He agreed with you all that the two wire service had to be
    brought to each unit, which the DTV tech should have should have known.
    And of course the multiswitch was redundant.

The independent removed the extra multiswitch and ran the two extra
    coaxes for the MBR connection. Within 45 minutes I had all
    channels! Thx for all your input, another case put to bed.