Test/repair old 20-700?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by hobbes4444, Feb 28, 2019.

1. hobbes4444

hobbes4444 Cool Member

May 23, 2007
    Just curious if anyone here does any repairs on the old warhorses. I had a 12 yr old HR20-700 that reset (power surge??) and was stuck on the blue Just a few more seconds screen (multiple tries to reboot). Got a replacement HR24, but of course, lost a ton of difficult to replace material across multiple HDDs. Anyone work on these to potentially revive them?

2. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    I could help, but if it's happen a 5 years ago...

3. MysteryMan

MysteryMan Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

May 17, 2010
    USA
    If your DIRECTV equipment is leased it's a violation of the DIRECTV Equipment Lease Addendum - Care of Equipment - You shall have no right to...alter or tamper with DIRECTV equipment at any time.

4. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    nobody alter or tampering the poor IRDs ...
    a repair is a repair !

5. MysteryMan

May 17, 2010
    USA
    It's still a violation of the DIRECTV Equipment Lease Addendum - Care of Equipment - In the event the DIRECTV equipment you have leased from DIRECTV does not operate contact DIRECTV at 1-800-531-5000. I suggest you read the DIRECTV Equipment Lease Addendum.

6. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    I got it - not a first time we have such discussing here …

YOU shouldn't worry to much in favor of the company;
    don't forget about customers and issues what The DTV doesn't accept

7. MysteryMan

May 17, 2010
    USA
    Who's worrying? I'm just stating facts.

8. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    There's not much you can do. Replace a fan, replace the power supply board or stick a new HDD in. That's about it. You might have a blown power supply board. That's relatively easy to fix on a 20-700. What you see if the power supply is shot is this: The blue lights on the front panel don't light up when you try to reboot. Not saying that's the only indication, don't have any idea what happened to your 700. The few times I replaced power supplies I did it because the HRs wouldn't boot up and the lights on the front panel would not light.

Rich

9. raott

raott Hall Of Fame

Nov 23, 2005
    It’s apparently abandoned property as Directv won’t take them back. They can’t have it both ways.

jimmie57 likes this.
  10. codespy

codespy RIP Starr! DBSTalk Club

Mar 29, 2006
    Seasonal
    Correct. My power supply went out on my HR20-700 years ago. I wanted it fixed, DirecTV said I would get a replacement HR24 and lose my recordings, and I could keep my HR20 and do what I want with it, including open it up and do whatever. They said they would also send me a free AM21 since the HR24 didn't have built in OTA to replace the HR20 capabilities.

I could deactivate it, then open up and replace faulty hardware (except for a motherboard issue) while not violating TOS, then re-activate it on same account and be committed to another two year lease agreement. But who is stupid enough to do that?

There is a reason for the TOS language, and I understand. They do not want customer's fingers in IRD's, potentially compromising those IRD's that can be used by others in the future under the lease program. But there is no reason to get carried away here. I carry spare parts for all my HR2x series IRD's, HR54, multiswitches, splitters, SWiM 16's, dishes, etc. because we have certain recordings from nearly 10 years ago that aren't repeated on DirecTV anymore, and are really hard to find.

When was the last time someone went 26MPH in a 25MPH zone violating the local municipal ordinances? Did you report yourself to the local police department admitting guilt and demand a ticket, or did they give you a ticket based on violating the terms of the ordinance? I seriously doubt it.

Okay I am done ranting on this subject. :)

11. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    I would be surprised if a receiver deactivated due to a repair replacement would be able to be reactivated again.

12. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    who knows if it was repaired ? no changes in RID and card - no worry

it' just mind game developing here by posters :D

13. slice1900

slice1900 Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2013
    Iowa
    Swapping the power supply won't change the RID, all the recordings will be intact. Whether that fixes the problem, who knows, but you probably find a power supply on eBay and it is pretty simple to fix.

I wouldn't worry about it being "leased". It is so old Directv will not ask for it back anyway.

14. James Long

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    You are misreading ...
    What I am referring to is when DIRECTV has sent out one receiver to replace another. If for some reason they don't want the old one returned they usually don't want the old one back on the system. Disconnect it, recycle it, whatever - just don't put it back on the DIRECTV system. I would expect "no reactivation" on a receiver that has been replaced due to being defective.

15. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    Why not ?
    it could magically come back to life … say, after fully discharged capacitors or after cooled down...
    you are free to tell DTV - OMG, I was wrong - after a week in cool closet it begin works again ! alleluia !

16. codespy

codespy RIP Starr! DBSTalk Club

Mar 29, 2006
    Seasonal
    It makes sense what you are saying. 4 years ago, I had a HR20-100 fail. DirecTV sent me a replacement and got it activated. The failed unit turned on again and worked 3 days after the replacement got activated. The only reason I tried is because we had a lot of recordings on it. I called DirecTV back wondering if we could reactivate and just put it in a different room. They said because it would be on the same account that it came from, they re-activated it. It worked for another 3 years before the motherboard took a crap.

Had it not been on the same account, they would not have done it. It’s quite likely AT&T would not do a reactivation on the same account like in the past.

17. hitokage

hitokage Legend

Jan 19, 2010
    Frederick, MD
    The HR20-700 DVRs have capacitors that go bad (they dome and may leak) on the power supply and the main board. They're the same make and model capacitors that had problems on various computer motherboards from the same era. While it is possible to replace them, it isn't easy as the whole box has to be taken apart, and lead-free solder adds additional difficulty if you don't have the right equipment and experience. After all the work you may still have problems as things may have been damaged by the failed capacitors - especially since they have probably been bad for quite awhile.

18. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    Very Very Very Unlikely !

19. James Long

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    So, a near zero percent chance of additional damage if a capacitor fails. Got you.

20. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    Coming to same odds as winning $563M in PowerBall lottery :D