1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Testing coaxial cable run

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by juka2, Feb 19, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. juka2

juka2 New Member

Feb 18, 2006
    I ran about 150 feet of plastic conduit and 4 cables about 3 years ago for a dish installation that my wife ultimately nixxed (no comments please). Well the wife is gone and I also want to cut the cord to my cable company.

My question: I looked at the end of the conduit and it is full of water (yes I should have plugged it and my wife along time ago). I can blow the water out, but how do I test the integrtiy of the cable runs before I seal the pipe? It was high quality oudoor cable but for all I know it has been underwater for 3 years!

2. JLF1233

JLF1233 Cool Member

Jan 13, 2006
    First, don’t seal the ends of the conduit. Leave them open so they can “breath”. Bring the ends above ground level in the form of an inverted J and leave them open. This will let any condensation evaporate before it damages the coax. If you want to keep critters out, stuff some steal wool in the ends. This will keep them open while blocking any insects.
    The only test I can think of for the coax would be with a volt/ohm meter to test for any damaged insulation.

3. carl6

carl6 Moderator Staff Member DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    Without some fairly expensive equipment, about the only testing you could do would be continuity checks. Make sure shield and center conductor have end to end continuity, and make sure they are not shorted.

Other than that, the best test is to just go ahead and use it. If it doesn't work you can always pull new coax. That's the beauty of conduit.

Carl

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.