1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Thank you DirecTV(?) (Rant)...

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by kwelling12, Aug 2, 2008.

1. Aug 2, 2008 #1 of 30
    kwelling12

kwelling12 New Member

Feb 1, 2007
    ...for cutting away to your own commercials and 30 seconds of black screen during the last lap of the Grand-Am race on SPEED HD. I didn't really want to watch it anyway. It was only the closest finish in series history.

Apparently there were no problems on the SD feed or on any other provider, so again, thank you.

2. Aug 2, 2008 #2 of 30
    purtman

purtman Hall Of Fame

Sep 19, 2006
    Good thing it was only auto racing! :lol: :lol: :lol:

3. Aug 2, 2008 #3 of 30
    Radio Enginerd

Radio Enginerd New Member

Oct 5, 2006
    That sucks. No excuse for that, probably some technical snafu.

4. Aug 2, 2008 #4 of 30
    LOCODUDE

LOCODUDE Hall Of Fame

Aug 7, 2007
    New York
    Indeed.......:)

5. Aug 2, 2008 #5 of 30
    CrazyforYeshua

CrazyforYeshua Legend

Feb 23, 2008
    Brings back Heidi/Superbowl memories....for the oldies in the crowd...

6. Aug 2, 2008 #6 of 30
    alv

alv Godfather

Aug 13, 2002
    The Heidi game was not a superbowl

7. Aug 2, 2008 #7 of 30
    Tiger62

Tiger62 Godfather

Mar 18, 2008
    The oldies in the crowd won't remember that. :)

8. Aug 2, 2008 #8 of 30
    donkeylips

donkeylips Legend

Jul 16, 2008
    Yeah that would suck if it happened during a sporting event.

9. Aug 2, 2008 #9 of 30
    SPACEMAKER

SPACEMAKER Freethinker

Dec 11, 2007
    Mason, MI
    Is that really called for? Not everyone has the same interests. The great thing about this board is that people are free to express opinions and report issues without fear of being ridiculed for their programming tastes. Grow up.

10. joed32

joed32 Hall Of Fame

Jul 27, 2006
    I would doubt very much that it was the providers fault and not the broadcaster.

11. hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001 Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2004
    :lol: :lol: :lol:

12. LarryFlowers

LarryFlowers New Member

Sep 22, 2006
    Very valid point, anytime this type of thing happens it is a "no excuse" event for the fans.

The Heidi Incident in Nov, 1968 was a classic event in that it was a true SNAFU. Not a Superbowl game but a regularly scheduled American Football League game, NBC had a contractual agreement with Timex to air "Heidi" in the 7-9PM time slot and the network had instructed the on site NBC supervisor to cut to Heidi whether the game was over or not. He followed his instructions which immedialtely triggered a flood of telephone calls which had the unfortunate side effect of blocking the telephone call from NBC New York exec's trying to call and tell them NOT to cut away.

The thing I have always wondered about is when these things happen, I am sure that the on site cameras didn't miss anything and they should have rectified it immediately. On-site supervisory personnel should have the authority to deal with it on the spot and let the New York studios sort the mess out later.

13. Tinymon

Tinymon AllStar

Sep 21, 2007
    There are but three true sports--bullfighting, mountain climbing, and motor-racing. The rest are merely games.

14. Ken S

Ken S RIP

Feb 12, 2007
    Yes, but remember the NY based control center had to make the decision on what was going out over the air...so even if they kept the cameras going the decision to go back on the network had to be made by a higher-up.

Also remember back in 1968 the AFL was not that big a deal. The early Super Bowls weren't even sellouts. If it wasn't the Jets I'd bet that few would have ever heard of the incident.

My dad and I were watching that game and I can still feel that sickness of them coming back from commercial and Heidi (Could they have picked a worse movie to interrupt a football game with?) starting to roll.

I also remember to call we had to call information on our dial phone to get the number for NBC and then dial the whole number to get busy signal after busy signal (no phone menu systems).

15. syphix

syphix Hall Of Fame

Jun 23, 2004
    Most likely. Just as with radio broadcasts of sporting events, when the provider wants the broadcaster to go to a local break, they "fire a trigger", which then tells the broadcaster's computer to play local commercials/promos. This was most likely a slip on SPEED HD's fault, not DirecTV's.

16. Redlinetire

Redlinetire Icon

Jul 24, 2007
    But why would the HD version have the issue and not the SD?

It would seem they'd both have the same break inserts.

17. scrybigtv

scrybigtv Godfather

Jan 25, 2008
    Not really true. The AFL started out as an inferior league, but by the late 1960s it was giving the NFL all the competition it could handle, and then some. Think the Super Bowl would have ever materialized if the AFL wasn't pushing the NFL in the ratings race? By 1967, there were millions of hardcore AFL fans out there. The NFL really had no choice but to merge with the fledgling league a few years later.

18. Steady Teddy

Steady Teddy Godfather

Jan 23, 2007
    One of the most exciting race finishes ever, and D* screws it up. Way to go.

19. purtman

purtman Hall Of Fame

Sep 19, 2006
    "Millions"? Neither league was all that big back then. The NFL was bigger than the AFL, but both took a backseat to MLB.

20. purtman

purtman Hall Of Fame

Sep 19, 2006
    It's more of a goof on those who automatically assume that it's D*'s fault. As Syphix said, the source sends a signal to let the distributor know when to air a commercial. It happens all of the time. There are many times you'll see the signal pop up when the local station is caught off guard. You'll just see the black screen with some numbers on it.